PDA

View Full Version : In high demand

clm93
07-23-10, 06:59 PM
Excuse me if this sounds silly I'm not too familiar with Military stuff but, I really want to get the 0311 MOS is it in high demand at the moment or otherwise?

Zulu 36
07-23-10, 07:14 PM
Excuse me if this sounds silly I'm not too familiar with Military stuff but, I really want to get the 0311 MOS is it in high demand at the moment or otherwise?

Actually, the infantry MOS is highly sought after by recruits and tough to get into right now. Search the Poolee threads and you will find a lot of sad stories of people who tried but couldn't get infantry.

afraziaaaa
07-23-10, 07:34 PM
The only way to guaranteee an 0311 is by enlisting into the reserves. Active duty, you can only be guaranteed 03xx. More people want to be 03s than we have slots for. Hurry up and get your spot as the 03 jobs have not been dropped for fiscal year 2011 (Oct 2010 - Sept 2011).

clm93
07-23-10, 07:38 PM
Hopefully I plan to enlist into the DEP during the end of august this year so I can finish out my senior year. I want to sign a 03xx as you said and hope to get 0311. Does this sound correct?

afraziaaaa
07-23-10, 07:43 PM
It does. I don't understand why you want to wait until the end of august though. Do you not graduate until august of next year? The sooner the better. These jobs could drop any day now and there are plenty of people in line ahead of you for an 03xx contract, (UH option it's called).

clm93
07-23-10, 07:53 PM
Well I'm turning 17 at the august 31st. My recruiter told me he gets all the new jobs Sept 1st. My senior year starts in august so I'll be in the DEP my whole senior year. Hopefully I can get a early ship date with a 03xx contract.

afraziaaaa
07-23-10, 08:00 PM
I see. You can't enlist until you are 17 anyway. You should ask your recruiter if he can get your parents to sign permission for you before your 17th birthday. They can leave the date off, and he can date it on your 17th birthday. That way, you guys can have everything ready, you can join on the first or second day of september, and he can get your job request in immediately after that. ASAP. That way, you have the best chance of getting what you want.

You won't be able to ship to boot camp until after graduation though.

clm93
07-23-10, 08:02 PM
Yea I plan on signing the day after my birthday because thats when the recruiter says hes supposed to get all the new jobs in. I already took my asvab but got a 46 AQFT but apparently i'm in the bravo group? I'm supposed to be in alpha if i get a 50 or above to increase my chances to get the MOS i select.

gunnyE7
07-24-10, 02:50 AM
Why do you want to be 0311 tho? Do you know what it takes?
at 03xx they may put you as Gunner or Motarman. 0311 is the only way to guarantee infantry. Just don't make the mistake of enlisting as open contract. Back when I enlisted they changed our Ocupational Specualities. I was going for Intell. and they made me infantry, lucky, I loved every bit of it. Good Luck.

clm93
07-24-10, 12:27 PM
Yes I'm very determined to get 0311. What kind of contract guarantees that I will be selected as a 0311? Thank you for your help

josephd
07-24-10, 02:24 PM
the only thing that is guaranteed in any contract is the opportunity to earn the title Marine. No contract is going to guarantee anything else.

clm93
07-24-10, 05:13 PM
Sorry if it seems redundant but, gunnyE7 you were talking about not signing an open contract. If so what other contracts are there that can help me choose the MOS I would preferably want.

Zulu 36
07-24-10, 05:47 PM
Yes I'm very determined to get 0311. What kind of contract guarantees that I will be selected as a 0311? Thank you for your help

The only contract that will guarantee 0311 is finding a Reserve infantry company that needs 0311s and enlist in the Reserves for that unit and MOS. Active duty contracts will only guarantee you 03XX - if there are any openings available at the time you enter DEP. 03XX slots fill up very fast.

You won't be able to transfer from the reserves to active duty for at least a couple of years, if even then.

clm93
07-24-10, 06:56 PM
I'm enlisting into the DEP on the first of September. My recruiter says thats when he gets all the jobs available again and when I'm legally available to sign up. Does this sound correct?

Lisa 23
07-24-10, 07:01 PM
Yes, you're recruiter is right.

US Military Enlistment Standards
Age Limits
By federal law (10 U.S.C., 505 (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode10/usc_sec_10_00000505----000-.html)), the minimum age for enlistment in the United States Military is 17 (with parental consent) and 18 (without parental consent).

clm93
07-24-10, 07:06 PM
So the bonus of doing DEP is getting a ship date at the end of my senior year unlike the other seniors that enlist during the end and have to wait 10 months after their senior year? What are some other advantages of doing DEP?

Zulu 36
07-24-10, 07:19 PM
So the bonus of doing DEP is getting a ship date at the end of my senior year unlike the other seniors that enlist during the end and have to wait 10 months after their senior year? What are some other advantages of doing DEP?

You mean other than the fact that just about everyone does DEP for some period of time?

DEP means you can attend Poolee functions at your recruiting office. They often hold PT sessions and give advice on working out to prep you for the IST that you have to pass before shipping out. Or, even better, helping you to more than pass the IST so you are even more ready for boot camp.

The recruiters can also provide you with knowledge resources you can study to give you a jump on boot camp academics.

clm93
07-24-10, 07:35 PM
Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it.