PDA

View Full Version : Problem with MEPS score mistake

CTguy1955
07-22-10, 12:05 PM
When I told my Dad I was joining the Army in 1972, you would have thought I said "Im taking off to Canada so I dont have to serve" as I broke his heart.
Dad was 17 and on Iwo with the 4th Marine Div. So while I may have gone
in the wrong direction, my heart was in the right place. I have a big problem with my Son, Daniel Warren Kelly....who lives, breaths, and dreams of military service. Dan had trained his body and mind to be military sense he was 14 and wanted to be a Army Ranger. Special Forces of any kind would have suited him. He passed everything with flying colors, and we 9 days away from DEP pay of 20K and going to boot camp. 4 guys jumped him from behind, and hit him and it swelled up his eye........he had to wait for swelling and bleeding to go down before MEPS would look at him.
His right eye has really great vision, much better then normal, but the left eye that was hit isnt great, but he scored a 4 with meps, and I guess 5
is perfect, but some how the paperwork says he is a 3. He had to wait 6 months to go back to MEPS, and two days ago, they called and canceled his appointment with no explanation.
Dan and I have been shooting M1 Garands and Remington 700's 30.06 and Kimber .45's for years and he is a really great shot. Dan is 6'3 and really in great shape, he would look really great in Marine Blues !!!!!! Poster Child Quality !!!
So my Dad Paul J. Kelly was a Marine, and my Father in Law, Bernard Weiser was a Marine, and if either of them were alive, they would know people who can help my Son with MEPS screwing up the paperwork, and keeping my son from enlisting.
Sometimes its not what you know, but WHO you know, that can make a small difference, and I dont know anyone. I have written my congressman and Senators, but email I get back says it may be weeks before they can reply or even read my plea.

If anyone here knows anyone, I would appreciate some help so much, and Dan is a team player who would be a real asset to the Marine Corps.

1-203-675-7020 is Dans Cell phone number. If ever someone had heart, its Dan...Im not saying it just because Im his Dad, He wants to be special forces more then life, and back during my day when many were told either they went to Jail or joined the military, the selection now is of more highly skilled and brighter men, and Dan is just that.

http://www.museum.nps.gov/spar/vfpcgi.exe?IDCFile=/spar/DETAILM.IDC,SPECIFIC=12149,DATABASE=46560834

The above link is to the Springfield Armory, where my Father in Laws
Rifle is. The work he did in research and development in the Marine Corp
eventually became the M-14, but he knew many high ranking Marines, who could have helped me, but they are probably all Passed away now.

Im sorry Im going on and on...I will stop now, I am pleading with anyone
who can help as this is only a paperwork error on MEPS part, and computers are screwing with him. He has taken the same test 4 times,
and they told him He could be a pilot (high score, before eye injury)
and Im just worried he will be lost in the system and the Service will loose out on a valued human being to WANTS to be in combat helping others.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Michael Kelly Sr (dans brother has been in the air force for 2 years as a policeman in New Mexico guarding Nukes) Dans other Grand dad
was in St Vith during the Battle of the bulge, so the entire family has a long history of service to this beloved Country of Freedom.

CTguy1955
07-22-10, 12:43 PM
http://s968.photobucket.com/albums/ae168/CTguy1955/KellyFamilyMilitary.jpg

Dans Military Family

Zulu 36
07-22-10, 01:28 PM
He should be working with MEPS through the recruiter. Has he talked to his recruiter about the appointment cancellation?

MEPS canceling appointments isn't rare and sometimes it's just as benign as they've overbooked the day. Talk to your son's recruiter.

Wyoming
07-22-10, 02:45 PM
Recruiter, recruiter, recruiter.

Just do it, NOW.

CTguy1955
07-22-10, 03:17 PM
Recruiters say MEPS is a seperate facility with many civilians working there, the cancellation was not a one time thing, its like that saw he was a number 3 (instead of
the 4 that he is) and just decided to not even see him.

Computer error or something very strange going on........

Thanks for your help.

CTguy1955
07-22-10, 11:33 PM
I went on a MEPS site and got the vision requirements:

Vision
Vision must be correctable (with glasses) to a minimum of one of the following:
(1) 20/40 in one eye and 20/70 in the other eye.
(2) 20/30 in one eye and 20/100 in the other eye.
(3) 20/20 in one eye and 20/400 in the other eye.
Current near visual acuity (367) of any degree that does not correct (with glasses) to 20/40 in the better eye is disqualifying.
Current refractive error (hyperopia (367.0), myopia (367.1), astigmatism (367.2)), or history of refractive error prior to any refractive surgery manifest by any refractive error in spherical equivalent of worse than -8.00 or +8.00 diopters is disqualifying
Can you please tell me what your rated at? Also I read where you can be given a WAIVER by the Military service you join, not meps????
I contact cris dodd, joe liberman and mike murphey about you, and I contacted a marine named Kelly who is running for office in another state out west.
Love You
Dad

Dan wrote me back and told me his tested by meps vision scores:

Dan Kelly July 22 at 7:31pm Report
Thankyou dad. The vision is my right eye is 20/17, the vision in my left eye is 20/70. im rated as a "3 P", when i should be a "2 p"
love you - dan

So I was wrong about the 4 and 5 stuff, it ended up being 2P

CTguy1955
07-22-10, 11:46 PM

CTguy1955
07-22-10, 11:50 PM
Recruiters say MEPS is a separate facility with many civilians working there, the cancellation was not a one time thing, its like they saw he was a 3P (instead of
the 2P that he is) and just decided to not even see him.

Computer error or something very strange going on........

Thanks for your help.

I corrected the info about his eyesight and what his rating is.

CTguy1955
07-23-10, 04:18 PM
He should be working with MEPS through the recruiter. Has he talked to his recruiter about the appointment cancellation?

MEPS canceling appointments isn't rare and sometimes it's just as benign as they've overbooked the day. Talk to your son's recruiter.

This was not just a cancel for the day....they looked at his records and saw the 3p instead of 2p and just told him not to come, as the computer
error made them feel he was not qualified. This is a big problem and he
is getting no where with the recruiters in New York, and I think he is giving up as he has gone back 4 times for the same written exams, and he feels they do not know what they are doing at MEPS..... When He applied for Army Ranger school and got the guarantee, He was top tier in mental and physical and when the army told him he had to wait 6 months to retest, He
went to the Marine Recruiters and they told him they could get him in right away as a Marine (don't know the proper term, would be a equivalent to the National Guard) and then once he got through boot camp, he could apply for active duty. COMPUTER ERROR at Meps made the recruiters go
nuts and they cant get around anything, and now dan is so frustrated as
he could have almost two years active duty towards his 20...He wants to
make it his Job for life......and time is running out. He is going to college, so
as to not just wait and do nothing and is taking criminal investigation stuff.

Please if someone knows someone, this is just a travesty.

afraziaaaa
07-23-10, 05:31 PM
Sir, I am vaguely familiar with your son's case as I work in the office he is working with, but I am not his recruiter. I'm not fully understanding the issue. Why does his DD214 say RE-3P on it? Please feel free to send me a private message.

afraziaaaa
07-23-10, 07:20 PM
Or are you talking about the MEPS physical profile?

PULHES? E stands for eyes. Are you saying that profile should be a 2 and not a 3?

Perfect qualification on the P U L H E S profile is 1 1 1 1 1 1.

CTguy1955
07-24-10, 10:39 AM
Dan Kelly July 24 at 9:55am Report <br />
Well I have no paperwork, and what my recruiter is telling me now is that i have to fill out a...

Sgt Leprechaun
07-24-10, 09:59 PM
Ok, I am 100 percent totally confused with this one.

Wyoming
07-24-10, 10:36 PM
Ok, I am 100 percent totally confused with this one.

When the time comes, Lep, that you figure this **** out, PM me.:confused:

CTguy1955
09-01-10, 12:10 AM
Dan just called me on the phone awhile ago and informed me that He got
the results back from Meps after what only seemed like 3 weeks or so, and He has been excepted and will be getting a date to report in.

He and I are sooooooo Happy, as He has wanted this sense He was a
little kid. Dreams can come true !!!!!!!!

Thanks Everyone for your Help and advice !!!!!!!!!

I will keep you updated on Dans where abouts !!!!!!

CTguy1955
01-13-11, 03:43 PM

Dans Military Family

Dan is at the Island, and I want to thank Sgt Frazier and Sgt Paine for helping make my Sons long lost dream come true. I know that Dan will
make us all very proud, especially his GrandPa, Paul J. Kelly who
was a Marine during WWII on Iwo Jima.

CTguy1955
01-13-11, 03:46 PM
Your Dream has come true Dan, Thanks to all who helped !!!!!!!!!!!

CTguy1955
04-09-11, 09:27 AM
Thank you all so much for your help. I am so proud of my son Dan!

http://s968.photobucket.com/albums/ae168/CTguy1955/DanKellyMarine.jpg

http://s968.photobucket.com/albums/ae168/CTguy1955/Dan.jpg

CTguy1955
04-09-11, 09:29 AM
297 and 299 on PFT and shot high expert, second in his platoon.

CTguy1955
04-09-11, 09:30 AM
It was such an honor for me to be at the ceremony and get to watch the graduation.
Many here helped, and I am so grateful !!!!

Marine1011
04-09-11, 09:36 AM
How old is Dan these days and do you think he'll be all right at his first duty station?

CTguy1955
04-09-11, 11:41 AM
Dan is 20 HarperJim, and he still has to go to many schools. Foward Artilliary Observer is in two parts, AZ for artil and Calif for radio (I think)

Tun Tavern
04-09-11, 04:31 PM
Congrats to you and Dan, CTguy.
I'm happy for you both.

CTguy1955
04-09-11, 11:04 PM
Thank you Sgt Frazier !!!!!!!!!!!!!

CTguy1955
04-09-11, 11:43 PM
With a Son in the Air Force who is taking his Sargent's test, and Dan on his way towards a career in the Marines, I am happy that my Sons got the chance to serve their Country as all of the males in my family have done for many generations.

CTguy1955
04-10-11, 12:10 AM
http://s968.photobucket.com/albums/ae168/CTguy1955/KellysFamilyMilitaryhasanewmember.jpg

I was very happy to add Dan as a new member of a Military Family.

afraziaaaa
04-10-11, 02:02 PM
Thank you Sgt Frazier !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Semper Fi! We better see that young Private in here before he heads out to Marine Combat Training! God Bless.

:flag:

CTguy1955
08-14-11, 07:21 AM
Marine Artillery Scout Observer Course (Masoc) at Ft. Sill Ok

On Aug 12th, Dan graduated High Honor Marine for his 30 man class !!!!!

Now on to Coranado !!!!!

I know he received an award, but I cant find any links or pictures or any info about the graduation ceremony at all, anyone know where I can find some info ????? The Ft Sill newspaper has all army stuff, and the one Marine page I found is just phone numbers and not news. Thanks

Sgt Leprechaun
08-19-11, 08:43 PM
OUTstanding!

Wish I could help with the info...probably the newspaper is the best bet, although like you discovered, most of it will be army crapola LOL

CTguy1955
12-21-11, 07:22 AM
http://s968.photobucket.com/albums/ae168/CTguy1955/DanK.jpg
Well its been a while, so I thought I would update on what is going on. Dan got awards at Camp Lajune for being first in his company for physical fitness. Then he went on to his first of two schools for his MOS of Forward Artillary Observer and he was given an award for being first in his class. When he went to the 2nd part of the class in california, he did not come in first, but his buddy did. So now he and his buddy are in the same room at Camp Pendelton at the first duty station, and they decided for an upcoming inspection to put their " Top of Class" awards on a shelf.
Well some high ranking Marine came through, and decided He wanted the best of the best to serve in Afghanistan. Dan was sent to Kajaki with only a 2 week special
course, and did not get to go to VIPER for the longer training sessions. He has been in Kajaki for a few months now and has called in rockets and mortar fire and is
doing his job the best he can. I am very proud of him, as his two MC Grandfathers
would be if they were still with us. Semper Fi my Son !!!!!!!!!

afraziaaaa
12-21-11, 07:41 AM
http://s968.photobucket.com/albums/ae168/CTguy1955/DanK.jpg
Well its been a while, so I thought I would update on what is going on. Dan got awards at Camp Lajune for being first in his company for physical fitness. Then he went on to his first of two schools for his MOS of Forward Artillary Observer and he was given an award for being first in his class. When he went to the 2nd part of the class in california, he did not come in first, but his buddy did. So now he and his buddy are in the same room at Camp Pendelton at the first duty station, and they decided for an upcoming inspection to put their " Top of Class" awards on a shelf.
Well some high ranking Marine came through, and decided He wanted the best of the best to serve in Afghanistan. Dan was sent to Kajaki with only a 2 week special
course, and did not get to go to VIPER for the longer training sessions. He has been in Kajaki for a few months now and has called in rockets and mortar fire and is
doing his job the best he can. I am very proud of him, as his two MC Grandfathers
would be if they were still with us. Semper Fi my Son !!!!!!!!!

Oorah!

CTguy1955
05-21-12, 10:04 PM
I am very happy to report that Dan landed safely in California yesterday after a 20 hour flight and is home safe from his 7 month deployment to Kajaki, Afghanistan !!

Thank you all for your prayers !!!

CTguy1955
07-16-14, 12:46 AM
Dan is now in Australia, out having fun in the Desert !!!! This is a photo of him attending the Birthday Party of the U.S.M.C. !!!!!27863

joseywales
07-16-14, 11:05 AM
just think had you two joined up under the buddy plan you could have seen all those places too and have been w your son all that time!

CTguy1955
07-16-14, 07:53 PM
I served during Vietnam. 1972-1975 72B20 was my MOS. Im 59 now, so when My Son went in almost 4 years ago, no one would take me. Ive been an Electrician
now for 33 years and will have three pensions to live on, besides SS... So I did ok
for myself after I finished my 3 year enlistment. The Army paid for my college
which gave me the algebra and things I needed to become an electrician.

Thank You Josey for the kind thought. My Dad was on Iwo Jima with the 4/25 and
at least my Son was a Marine as well, and made his Grandpa proud.