PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska Against Illegal Immigration

AdirondackDog
07-22-10, 12:13 AM
The small town of Fremont, Nebraska joined the national debate over immigration when it voted Monday to ban companies from hiring illegal aliens, and landlords from renting to them. Unofficial results found about 57% of the town of 25,000 voted in favor of the new law.

But supporters might want to keep the cork on the champagne. Similar laws passed in at least two other towns in the nation were struck down in the courts. And already, the American Civil Liberties Union says it will file a lawsuit to overturn it.

"Our goal would be to bring an action to ensure that there is not even one day that the law can go into effect," said Amy Miller, legal director for the ACLU of Nebraska.

At first glance, there seems to be no problem in Fremont as far as jobs. The unemployment rate is 4.9% -- the same as the rest of Nebraska, and nearly half of the national unemployment rate of 9.7%.

However, the mostly white town has seen its Hispanic population surge over the past two decades, from 165 in 1990 to an estimated 2000 today, in part because of jobs available at the nearby Fremont Beef and Hormel meatpacking plants. But residents cringe when it is suggested there is a racial or ethnic motive here.

"It has nothing to do with being racist," lifetime Fremont resident Clint Walraven said. "We all have to play by the same rules. If you want to stay here, get legal."

Not everyone in Fremont feels the same way. "This country has been founded on waves of immigration," Rachel Fleming said. "I just think it's (the ordinance) contrary to the spirit of the country."

It is unlikely the law will ever take effect. In 2006, voters in Hazelton, Pennsylvania approved a nearly identical measure as Fremont's. But a federal judge overturned it, saying that immigration laws should be left solely to the federal government.

In 2008, a federal judge ruled a similar law in Farmers Branch, Texas was unconstitutional.

Supporters say since the federal government is doing nothing about illegal immigration, cities and towns have to take matters into their own hands.
"Because of the absence of the feds doing anything, there's a lot of financial, cultural, political strains that are occurring [in cities and states]," said Gregory Minchak of the National League of Cities. "They are just starting to act on their own."

If the law were ever implemented, potential renters would have to apply for a license to rent a place. The application process would force Fremont officials to check if the people are in the country legally. If they are found to be illegal, they will not be issued a license allowing them to rent. The ordinance would also require businesses to use the federal E-Verify database to ensure employees are allowed to work.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/fremont-nebraska-votes-to-ban-illegal-immigrants (http://www.opposingviews.com/i/fremont-nebraska-votes-to-ban-illegal-immigrants)

:thumbup:

hbharrison
07-22-10, 06:36 AM
I have herd that some State Senators have been writing a bill to put before the state just like Arizonas there in Nebraska if more states do this it will overload Mr Holders office to where he just may not be able to move. We can only pray that the people and states in this country wake up and see just what is happening.

gwamo1
07-22-10, 07:53 AM
Only 57% were in favor of it? Terrible number. Needs to be like 97%. How are people NOT for this?

kenrobg30
07-22-10, 08:04 AM
The Name of this country is on its way to being changed, by People such as those, who infest the ACLU in partnership with the deep pockets in our midst, who love all of that cheap labor. If something isn't done, to stop the leaks in our borders, we'll be calling ourselves, The untied States. ' POGO' was right,
" We have met the enemy, and he are us !!" S/F!! KEN

hbharrison
07-22-10, 08:07 AM
I would like to believe that the people of this coutry who love this country will some day soon notice that they need to bring this country back to what it once was it can be and my firm beleave it will be and my prayers will always be for that to happen.

Mongoose
07-22-10, 08:32 AM
In a country where so many legal citizens are unemployed. Where it has become a day by day struggle to get by. Our national debt is already out of reach and climbing higher every day. We absoultly dont need more illegals of which a large percentage will be on goverment assistance. Our welfare systeme already over burdened cant handle much more. I cant understand why people cant see that this country is on the verge of falling.

SgtThrasher
07-22-10, 10:01 AM
The state immigration laws to thwart illegal immigration (which I support) wouldn't be necessary if the feds would do their job.If the undocumented democRATs crossing the border were potential republicans the border would already be secure!

hbharrison
07-22-10, 10:57 AM
All politics aside his is out country and if we do not now stand up and say to the Press and the congress no more we are going to loose in Nov we have that chance take it and say to DC no more.

Beltayn
07-23-10, 06:14 PM
http://whitewatch.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/nationalist_redneck-s690x355-8853-580.jpg

Food for thought.

kenrobg30
07-24-10, 09:25 AM
The state immigration laws to thwart illegal immigration (which I support) wouldn't be necessary if the feds would do their job.If the undocumented democRATs crossing the border were potential republicans the border would already be secure!

B$$$SH$t, Ken