PDA

View Full Version : 1945 Marine Equipment?

nutsnbolts24
07-21-10, 07:02 PM
Hoping for a little help. I picked up a machine I would like to restore. It has a Wisconsin 4cyl VE4 22hp engine. My dad was in WWII, army airplane mechanic, third armored division. Went clear across Europe includind Battle of the Buldge. He has never seen a machine quite like this. It has a stamp on the engine ID plate that looks to have a Marine Stamp.
http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad78/nutsnbolts24/Bear%20Cat%20ATV/USNavy.jpg
http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad78/nutsnbolts24/Bear%20Cat%20ATV/KSLBearcatFRNT.jpg
Anyone ever seen a machine like this? It is about the size of a ATV, 4X4 and articulating (hinged, turns in the middle) It has no hitch or any sign of ever having a hitch? Maybe just used to haul gear in the back? Rear looks kind of like the old jeeps.
I have more pics in my profile or at: http://s923.photobucket.com/albums/ad78/nutsnbolts24/Bear%20Cat%20ATV/
Appreciate any help in IDing this vehicle. All I know right now is the engine serial# shows it was built mid 1945.
Thanks

hbharrison
07-21-10, 07:28 PM
Brother-in-law was in the Navy in the 50's he had some pics of something like it said they were used on the Navy docks as tugs to pull carts around when loading ships. I don remember if the pic he had bent in the middle thou

headshots
07-21-10, 07:40 PM
Looks more like a Navy stamp than a MARINE stamp doesn't it? Only guessing on that one, since I'm a boot '78 to '83. I was at a few different NAS's while at MAR-DET and I've never seen anything that resembles that.

nutsnbolts24
07-21-10, 07:48 PM
Brother-in-law was in the Navy in the 50's he had some pics of something like it said they were used on the Navy docks as tugs to pull carts around when loading ships. I don remember if the pic he had bent in the middle thou

That is the most common thought but it has no hitch and metal has no sign of one having been removed, smooth clean no holes or weld marks. It is also smaller than my 40's era Clark tug. It has me baffled.

nutsnbolts24
07-21-10, 07:50 PM
I have had that thought as well, was my first thought in fact. Being I was unsure I decided to ask here. I have sent the question to the USS midway museum in San Diego, CA

hbharrison
07-21-10, 08:52 PM
Thye stamp as you said looks like a Navy Stamp USS Midway is a good place to start as any

clansman5
07-21-10, 11:30 PM
my first thought was Navy also

hillbillyjar
07-22-10, 02:19 AM
The stamp is defiantly Navy. With the original stamp marks you show, as the others have said, start with Midway.

The articulated midsection is interesting, it gives the driver the ability to put the rear section exactly where it needs to be. Look at the wear patterns on the paint. The drivers got in and out a LOT; passengers occasionally.

I could speculate for hours over your pictures. I've seen pictures of Korea era "MASH" jeeps, and the rust patterns looked similar.

I do hope you find out, and I do hope you let us know when you do.

Ed Palmer
07-22-10, 05:34 AM
It is a T U D 80 Used for towing Aircraft around. we had them at MAG 16 In 65.

hbharrison
07-22-10, 06:21 AM
OK ED thats what we needed a TUD-80 neat somebody must have taken the tow equipment off this one and welded the holes up some ya could not see them anymore.

nutsnbolts24
07-25-10, 12:09 AM
OK ED thats what we needed a TUD-80 neat somebody must have taken the tow equipment off this one and welded the holes up some ya could not see them anymore.

It's possible, The last owner said the machine was ex-forest service, who knows what they may have done. The USS Midway historian thinks it was just used as a base support vehicle, taking tools, parts and such out to the flight line. I was going to post some pictures I took of the underside but there on my wife's computer (home network) and she shut it down, have to wit till tomorrow. I got one up on photobucket showing how the front/rear are attached as well as drive-line and steering ram... well and all the leaking seals I'll have to replace.:)
http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad78/nutsnbolts24/100_6881.jpg
I would like to find a picture of a TUD-80 or anything that looks/steers like my machine. Oh I measured it as well, overall she is 52 1/2" wide X 101" long.
Thanks for the help