PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again

Rob Parry
07-21-10, 02:38 PM
For those of you in foreign climes.

The Army has started the rumour mill turning again. It was reported today in the Financial times, copied in the Daily Telegraph, that the Army want the Royal Marines to be absorbed within their structure. IF they do decide to go ahead, the campaign will be bloody; nobody I know has a desire for this to go ahead. We joined the RM because it is part of the Royal Navy, different, almost independent, certainly from the Army. If I had wanted to wear a ginger bread suit I would have joined a Pongo Regt. No chuffing chance. :mad:

I will keep this updated as more appears. Our new Minister of Defence may have bitten off a tad more than his dentures can accommodate.

MoD 'considers cutting 30,000 troops'
Troop numbers could be cut by up to 30,000 under plans being considered by the Ministry of Defence, it has been reported.

Senior military officials are considering cutting Britain’s land forces from eight to five brigades, according to the Financial Times.
The restructuring could also place the Royal Marines under the command of the Army, senior officials told the paper.

The plan is thought to be one of a number of options being considered under the defence review.
Government departments are under pressure to cut their budgets by up to 40 per cent and the MOD is looking at different ways to meet the savings.
The MOD is bracing itself for cuts of up to 20 per cent and is facing a £500 million budget black hole this year.
Liam Fox, the Defence Secretary, warned yesterday that the number of warships, fighter jets and armoured vehicles supplied to the Armed Forces will have to fall under coming budget cuts.
Dr Fox said that the forces “must reduce fleet numbers” to save money, buying fewer, more powerful vehicles in the coming years.
A spokesman for the MOD said: “The future configuration of our Armed Forces will be based on the findings of the Strategic Defence and Security Review which is under way. Until the Review concludes, it would be inappropriate to speculate on the possible outcomes.”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/defence/7902131/MoD-considers-cutting-30000-troops.html

Wyoming
07-21-10, 02:43 PM
Rob, sounds like something that the asshoes would want done to the USMC also.

As you say, No chuffing chance. :mad:

hbharrison
07-21-10, 03:52 PM
Rob, sounds like something that the asshoes would want done to the USMC also.

As you say, No chuffing chance. :mad:

X2:thumbup:

Zulu 36
07-21-10, 07:00 PM
President Truman tried that nonsense once. He got severely burned hands for his trouble.

3BadgeMarine
07-22-10, 03:49 PM
'Soldier an Sailor Too'

An'after I met 'im all over the world,a-doin'all
kinds of things,
Like landin' 'isself with a Gatlin' gun to talk to them
'eathen Kings;
'E sleeps in an 'ammick instead of a cot,an' 'e drills
with the deck on a slew,
An' 'e sweats like a Jolly--'Er Majesty's Jolly--soldier
an' sailor too!
For there isn't a job on the top of the earth the beggar