PDA

View Full Version : A few questions.

clm93
07-21-10, 03:00 AM
Hello and thanks for your time. My mother and I went down to the recruiter station a couple months ago and we spoke to the recruiter about which MOS I would like to pick and if it would apply to my career after I was a marine. I really would like to do Infantry but the most sensible option for me to do is become Military Police which would help in me becoming a police officer after my service is completed.

I'm currently 16 years old and going into my senior year and my recruiter told us that September first is when they get a pool of MOS that they get to sign out, and their limited onto how many they can sign out. "Luckly" my 17th birthday is August 31st a day before they get all the new MOS. I really would like some helpful opinions from all the Marines in this message board.

As far as I know my parents are great with me in joining the marines. Sometimes my dad speaks down on them because he talked to a marine which tried to get into the marines as a MP but his MOS was changed to a infantryman. He told my father that there is alot of people in the marines that are messups and ruin other peoples personal leaves. I don't want to make any marines mad but this is what my father is telling me. I'm not sure but maybe the marine had mixed feelings because his MOS was changed. My question towards this is are there alot of people eff around and ruin your time.

I'm sorry if I offended any marines with my last paragraph but this is what i"m being told and may or may not be true. Thanks I really appreciate what this website has to offer and has alot of tips. Thanks!

gunnyE7
07-21-10, 03:13 AM
Hello and thanks for your time. My mother and I went down to the recruiter station a couple months ago and we spoke to the recruiter about which MOS I would like to pick and if it would apply to my career after I was a marine. I really would like to do Infantry but the most sensible option for me to do is become Military Police which would help in me becoming a police officer after my service is completed.

I'm currently 16 years old and going into my senior year and my recruiter told us that September first is when they get a pool of MOS that they get to sign out, and their limited onto how many they can sign out. "Luckly" my 17th birthday is August 31st a day before they get all the new MOS. I really would like some helpful opinions from all the Marines in this message board.

As far as I know my parents are great with me in joining the marines. Sometimes my dad speaks down on them because he talked to a marine which tried to get into the marines as a MP but his MOS was changed to a infantryman. He told my father that there is alot of people in the marines that are messups and ruin other peoples personal leaves. I don't want to make any marines mad but this is what my father is telling me. I'm not sure but maybe the marine had mixed feelings because his MOS was changed. My question towards this is are there alot of people eff around and ruin your time.

I'm sorry if I offended any marines with my last paragraph but this is what i"m being told and may or may not be true. Thanks I really appreciate what this website has to offer and has alot of tips. Thanks!

Before you even start considering and looking at MOS's take the ASVAB! Make sure you graduate High School as well. I have heard from a close friend of mine (who is a police officer) he was in the army as an MP. The Marines may be different but from what he told me MP will completely mess you up as to becoming a police officer such as the alphabet etc. He said being an MP wasn't as fun either. Being an infrantry Marine myself I would go infantry but that's me speaking.

On the otherhand the guy who said he was a Marine that you talked to may not even of been a Marine and just a wanna be. I've seen to many of those in my day. So whatever you father say's don't listen to him because he doesn't have the experience to prove anything or the proof to back it up. Good luck kid.

clm93
07-21-10, 03:15 AM
I'm so sorry I forgot the mention. I took the innotiative to take the ASVAB during my junior year during high school I scored a AQFT 46.

supermanlives22
07-21-10, 03:21 AM
well in every branch there are bad apples, but for the most part its not bad im an 0231 intel analyst and i love my job and when i get out there will be lots of job opertunities for me. i love the marine and as for the bad apples there out there but as long as you keep your nose clean you will be good.

gunnyE7
07-21-10, 03:29 AM
Before any more posts are posted on this thread please read the rules and fill out your profile! We don't even know your name!

Lisa 23
07-21-10, 06:51 AM
You need to have a complete profile, and read the site rules. They can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums.
Also, when using the word Marines, it will be capitalized at all times.

supermanlives22
07-21-10, 06:59 AM
O Jeez

supermanlives22
07-21-10, 07:04 AM
O JEEZ just give the kid advice he need quit sending him to other crap. if you dont like to answear the question then dont post. and the whole prifile thing who cares and for marines well there you have it i did not capitalize it o no. but hey never mind the non sense there is a web site if you type in usmc mos in google click on the one that says ask.com its got all the mos for marines in there should help a little

DrZ
07-21-10, 07:22 AM
I am going to be a bit blunt here so stand by. You are only 16 and have much to experience grasshopper. When I was 16, I wanted to be a cop...or a fireman...or a relatively new field (back then) an astronaut. Take the tests...and see all the MOS possibilities are available to you. The great thing about the Corps is it are like any company...there are many fields in which you can train. I entered in a time when Nam was still going strong and infantry was heavily needed. I had no guarantees of a specific MOS. I took the battery of tests and the Corps determined that I was NEEDED in Aviation Electronics. OK.... sounded good to me but I knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about electronics but it was the job the Corps wanted me to do. I went to the schools and ended up spending 8 years in the Corps. When I left the Marines, I went to University to continue my education in electronics....and have been in the field ever since.

Doing whatever job you are given in the Marines does not mean you will never see combat. ALL Marines are basically riflemen but not all Marines are 0311...and according to most 0311s... only God's selected few become 03xx. Knowing some of them very well... often I must agree. Just remember.... the Marines need a few good men and women.... but not all those good men and women are infantry, MPs, electronics, or whatever.

Don't limit your options. See what all MOS are available to you based on your scores. See if any of them interest you as much or more than being a MP. Keep in mind.... just because you are/were a MP does not mean you are an automatic candidate for being a cop.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

temarti
07-21-10, 09:52 AM
O Jeez

:thumbup: Seems there are now two profile, capitalization police

Lisa 23
07-21-10, 10:15 AM
I'm not no forum police, no matter what some of you think....and I'm not looking for an argument or being a smart a$$ about this either.

When I first joined this site, I didn't have my profile filled out....and I got my a$$ chewed out for it.
So....no wannabee or poolee is any different than I am. It may be trivial or nonsense to most of you, but if the staff here at Leatherneck didn't put it in the rules, then it wouldn't make a difference to me, but being that it is...how hard is it to put in your first name and some basic info about yourself? It's not like they are asking for your SSN or your bank account #.....geesh!
If they bothered to take the time in the first place to fill out a basic profile before they make their first post, then no one would have to go around and remind them to fill it out, now would they!

temarti
07-21-10, 10:46 AM
There is a way to provide useful advise as well as inform them that they need to fill out a profile, most of the time it is just a copy and paste same routine message without any useful knowledge attached.

It would be interesting to see how many are just turned off after getting ambushed after their first post. I started a couple of years ago because there was a place to provide advice, however recently it has been just a place to correct people in order to boost post numbers.

Quinbo
07-21-10, 10:51 AM
I'm gonna be blunt too .... gunnyE7 you type like a 16 year old kid that gets his information from google and has no first hand knowlege about the Marine Corps.

In desert storm there was a standing order about a particular item and if you were caught without it you could be reduced. What was it? That one aint in google so you have to know it or you don't and you weren't there.

Lt Miller
07-21-10, 11:22 AM
I'm gonna be blunt too .... gunnyE7 you type like a 16 year old kid that gets his information from google and has no first hand knowlege about the Marine Corps.

In desert storm there was a standing order about a particular item and if you were caught without it you could be reduced. What was it? That one aint in google so you have to know it or you don't and you weren't there.

Dildos?

DrZ
07-21-10, 11:49 AM
LT,
Normally, I don't ask this...but please complete your profile. I ask this because you joined today and your first post is this? 2+2 tends to equal 4...but not in all cases.

Your response doesn't fit many officers I know. Methinks someone might have a 2nd profile here after getting burned on the first one.

WXSgt
07-21-10, 01:16 PM
Not to hijack the thread but look at gunnye7's profile Occupation: retired Marine, then says hes still on active duty. and conflicts and wars participated in are korea and the gulf? 40 years apart? but graduated feb 12th 1985

temarti
07-21-10, 01:20 PM
He's all jacked up, LOL

Lisa 23
07-21-10, 01:43 PM
I noticed that too, WXSgt....lol!

WXSgt
07-21-10, 01:47 PM
sry to call him out but he had already been called out and im sry if any accusations are untrue but damn lol

DrZ
07-21-10, 02:05 PM
And I think Lt Miller is another Gunny07 toon. If not, I will be happy to tell him I am sorry but he joined immediately after someone asked Gunny07 a specific question...and he came up with a 1 word answer.

Something smells here.

WXSgt
07-21-10, 02:08 PM
OP isnt a troll but we have suspicions about others lol

Lt Miller
07-21-10, 02:12 PM
The real victims here are the poolees.

Think about the poolees!

WXSgt
07-21-10, 02:19 PM
i actually agree Lt Miller about jumping on them but its common courtesy that this nation lacks. and a fundamental grasp of english. Marine(s) is a name so should be capitalized as WMarine says and if they dont have their profile complete we cant give specialized info for that case. Also its a big FU to the ppl that run these forums if ppl dont abide by the rules.

Lt Miller
07-21-10, 02:20 PM
Good to go Sergeant.

WXSgt
07-21-10, 02:23 PM
And now change your FVCKING AVATAR!

Lt Miller
07-21-10, 02:30 PM
Its okay I'm cool with my boy JJ. Some of you might know him as General Mattis.

WXSgt
07-21-10, 02:41 PM
fvcking trolls

Lt Miller
07-21-10, 02:43 PM
Yea they suck

Wyoming
07-21-10, 02:46 PM
fvcking trolls

Keep feeding them and they breed.

Sgt. Lep and the Black Helicopters will be around later.

Lt Miller
07-21-10, 02:57 PM
Leatherneck really has some troll problems doesn't it.

clm93
07-21-10, 03:01 PM
Sorry I will try to fill out my profile,as for my age in a month I'm turning 17 and im a senior. I just started school early. I've taken the asvab already and scored a 46 AQFT.

WXSgt
07-21-10, 03:02 PM
need all the scored mm gt el so on so forth to see what your eligible for

Lt Miller
07-21-10, 03:03 PM
46 WTF?

Have you looked into the Army?

WXSgt
07-21-10, 03:06 PM
ya honestly an afqt is a little low i would suggest retaking it asap unless you have good individual scores.

Lt Miller
07-21-10, 03:10 PM
ya honestly an afqt is a little low i would suggest retaking it asap unless you have good individual scores.

What the hell you doin in oceanslime sergeant?

clm93
07-21-10, 03:10 PM
Verbal Skills - 54
Math Skills - 50
Science and Technical Skills - 58

Lt Miller
07-21-10, 03:11 PM
Verbal Skills - 54
Math Skills - 50
Science and Technical Skills - 58

Bulk Fuel is what your looking for.

No seriously. Enlist reserves. Go to college, get an education, Fvck b*tches. then go Officer.

WXSgt
07-21-10, 03:20 PM
retake the test

clm93
07-21-10, 03:25 PM
retake the test

Can you retake it multiple times and will they take the best score of all your tests? How long do your scores last if you want to choose a MOS.

WXSgt
07-21-10, 03:29 PM
i dont know how long it will be good for however i do know you can retake the test. i do advise that you retake the test so you have a wider selection of MOS you can choose from.

clm93
07-21-10, 03:31 PM
i dont know how long it will be good for however i do know you can retake the test. i do advise that you retake the test so you have a wider selection of MOS you can choose from.

I really want to do Infantry are my scores decent enough to try to get that MOS?

WXSgt
07-21-10, 03:33 PM
ya and honestly not much more that i know of.

clm93
07-21-10, 03:36 PM
I'd really like to become a police officer after my service is done. If I did get Infantry would that apply well with that job?

WXSgt
07-21-10, 03:37 PM
yes it would actually why not become military police which would help even more

Lt Miller
07-21-10, 03:38 PM
I'd really like to become a police officer after my service is done. If I did get Infantry would that apply well with that job?

Yes, Infantry is fine.

clm93
07-21-10, 03:41 PM
So a 46 AQFT is fine for infantry?

WXSgt
07-21-10, 03:43 PM
we dont go by afqt ive said that lol so you need to look at your GT

Job Description: The riflemen employ the M16A2 service rifle, the M203 grenade launcher and the squad automatic weapon (SAW). Riflemen are the primary scouts, assault troops, and close combat forces available to the MAGTF. They are the foundation of the Marine infantry organization, and as such are the nucleus of the fire team in the rifle squad, the scout team in the LAR squad, scout snipers in the infantry battalion, and reconnaissance or assault team in the reconnaissance units. Noncommissioned officers are assigned as fire team leaders, scout team leaders, rifle squad leaders, or rifle platoon guides.
Job Requirements:
(1) Must possess a GT score (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/asvab.htm) of 80 or higher.
(2) Complete the Marine Rifleman Course at the! School of Infantry, East or West. Duties: For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to NAVMC Directive 3500.87 (http://www.usmc.mil/news/publications/Documents/NAVMC%20DIR%203500.87.pdf), Training and Readiness Manual

clm93
07-21-10, 03:48 PM
I'm looking at my results sheet and I don't see anything explaining General Technical?

WXSgt
07-21-10, 03:51 PM
ok well ask your recruiter then to look at it you may have taken a pre asvab not the official

clm93
07-21-10, 03:56 PM
I looked online and it says I need to add up the VE+AR. My Arithmitic reasoning is 49, Word Knowledge is 49, Paragraph Comprehension is 61. Im not sure how I would add these up?

WXSgt
07-21-10, 04:17 PM
your scores should look like this

CLAS/ASGN TEST TYPE: DATE: 2001-09-12 GT/GCT: 0 SCORE: GT: 112 MM: 112 CL: 0 EL: 119 ARMY RADIO CODE SCORE: 0 DATE: AFQT FORM #: 18F AFQT: 71 ELEC/DP TEST SCORE: 000 DATE: