PDA

View Full Version : MOS tips?

keyes44
07-21-10, 01:01 AM
Hey,Im not enlisted yet but will be soon and I just took the ASVAB today and got a AFQT score of 79. I was just wondering about some good job choices, I really want to be a grunt and would hate working at a desk but I don't want to miss out on my son growing up.
Any tips would help out alot...Thanks.

gunnyE7
07-21-10, 03:43 AM
Hey,Im not enlisted yet but will be soon and I just took the ASVAB today and got a AFQT score of 79. I was just wondering about some good job choices, I really want to be a grunt and would hate working at a desk but I don't want to miss out on my son growing up.
Any tips would help out alot...Thanks.

Enlisting as a Marine and living the life of a Marine active duty you won't see much of your family. But my opinion since I am and always will be...go 0311 Rifleman Infantry.
But in a smarter sense you may want to check out other MOS's that may help you out in the near future.

Marine84
07-21-10, 07:30 PM
I really want to be a grunt and would hate working at a desk but I don't want to miss out on my son growing up.

Then don't join the Corps! If you join, there will be plenty you will miss out on as far as your son is concerned.

Quinbo
07-21-10, 11:12 PM
Enlisting as a Marine and living the life of a Marine active duty you won't see much of your family. But my opinion since I am and always will be...go 0311 Rifleman Infantry.
But in a smarter sense you may want to check out other MOS's that may help you out in the near future.

GunnyE7 may I ask what your MOS was when you retired? What was ITB called when you went through it? :evilgrin:

AdirondackDog
07-21-10, 11:22 PM
Logistic Option is mostly desk work. So steer clear.

brian0351
07-22-10, 03:18 AM
Being infantry...you WILL be gone.

Whether your doing your 6 month deployments every 18 months...or your in the field every week for training. Yeah you may have the occasional long weekend and block of leave, but you will be spending more time "With the unit" than you will at home.

As for any other MOS, I couldn't tell you but there are more "Desk job" opportunities which may allow you some sort of home life.

Being a Marine is reward enough. You have a child to raise, why do you feel the need to go out and play hero in the infantry?