PDA

View Full Version : Question about Aviation field.

gomerpyle92
07-19-10, 11:01 PM
Hello Marines,

I'm kind of new to this whole forum thing so please speak out if im doing something wrong or missing something.

I just currently got interested in the Marines Corps. The Marine Corps Aviation field really got a hold of my attention so i spoke with a Recruiter (SGT.JACKSON) and he was very well spoken and answered some of my questions. I just had a few questions that he really couldnt answer informatively because his MOS was m1a1 and wasent experienced in this field.

Im interested in Aircrew which he said is Crew Chief, is that a mechanical job? Im not interested in being a mechanic and would rather do things like pre-flight inspections, and flying on them to give the Pilots info on things they cant see etc..

I Googled the MOS but all i saw was vague descriptions that might as well been written in japanese. Didnt understand what it was trying to say.

Also im kind of confused with this AG, and AF contract thing. i got a 107 on the MM portion of the ASVAB so i qualified but whats the difference and what one should I be trying to get?

And my mother lives outside of the U.S (Germany) and i need to get her information on this SF-86 form. But she dosent speak english well and i only talk to her a few times a year, would the Marines be able to overlook this minor inconvenience?

Thanks for taking the time for helping me

Sgt Leprechaun
07-20-10, 01:52 AM
No, they won't 'overlook' anything. Get the document completed.

Run a search for 'Aircrew' and/or 'Aircraft Mechanic' here on the site, that'll help you with some information.

gomerpyle92
07-20-10, 08:16 PM
No, they won't 'overlook' anything. Get the document completed.

Run a search for 'Aircrew' and/or 'Aircraft Mechanic' here on the site, that'll help you with some information.

Thanks Sir. Forgot about the search feature on this forum. I see that you need certain Test Scores for the AG Contract, thats what I'm trying to get so looks like I'm off to go study.

Also does anyone have any info on the schools/difficulty of the schools? I tried to look into some topics about Crew Chief on this forum but didnt find anything about the schooling they do/go through to become Crew Chief.

Aircrewmarine
07-25-10, 09:06 AM
Just finished school for a uh-1n crewchief so I should be able to help. The job itself is basically a really important backseat driver for the pilots and requires you passing them information about the aircrafts mechanical condition and the terrain you will be flying/landing in. As far as you being a mech, ya a crewchief is also a mechanic but they are more focused on the flying portion of the job than a regular mech.

The schools consist of obviously bootcamp and mct then you go to Florida for "aircrew school" but all you do is pt and swim. Once you complete that you will go to a mech school then a flight school. The process lasts between 12-18 months on average.

The ag contract is an aircrew garuntee contract and is what you should sign for to get this job. If you have any more questions I'll try and help you out

Sgt Leprechaun
07-25-10, 05:36 PM
Aircrew Marine, that was a good synopsis. IF you have the time to start a new post, with a breakdown (along with any helpful add'l information) I'll make it a sticky.