PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps Required Reading

EastofWest18
07-19-10, 05:39 PM
Hello Marines,

I picked up Making The Corps by Thomas E. Ricks. It is an interesting book where he (a journalist) was given permission to follow around and talk to a group of recruits in Platoon 3086 of the Third Battalion at Parris Island. He follows them through Boot Camp at Parris Island, and provides some interesting insight into what happened to this group of recruits. In chapter four he talks about the required reading for Marines of different levels (the book was written in the early 90's, so this might have changed). He mentioned that Commandant Gray required Marines to read specific books once they reached progressively higher levels of leadership.

I was curious if this is still the policy of the Marine Corps? He mentioned Fields of Fire, The Art of War, Thriving on Chaos, and On Guerrilla Warfare to name a few. I was wondering what those of you serving out in the fleet thought about this policy? Since this policy was around when the book was written about 17 years ago I am sure that some of you were Marines when this policy was still around if it has been changed. Did these books help you as a Marine? Did you have a favorite?

Additionally, before the scolding commences, I am not asking about these books so I could read them now years before I may or may not be up for a promotion. I am asking because I believe that this is a very interesting policy and am curious to see how it was/has been received. That being said, I am most certainly going to pick up Fields of Fire and read it once I am done with Making The Corps.

Thank you all. I look forward to your responses.

gonzo4
07-19-10, 05:44 PM
There isn't required reading but a reading list the Commandant has suggestions about what to read for your rank. I've read a few and they have all been really good and give some really good lessons. It doesn't help you pick up rank however MCIs are the way to go there. But keep reading them anyway. And if you read those books again as a Marine you will look at them differently.

FattyTheFerret
07-19-10, 07:58 PM
Ender's Game is an awesome read anyways.

waitinferage21
07-23-10, 03:15 AM
That's the commandants reading list, it isnt required, but looks good. only thing that is required that you read.. is technically MCI's