PDA

View Full Version : two quick questions..

D BOUJI
07-18-10, 11:47 PM
hello MARINES i have two quick questions about bootcamp and U.S.M.C. life.

1.shots...how many and where. (i kinda hate needles)

2.does the 0311 mos change a persons personality? i mean i dont want to come back and be mean to everyone.

i know these are stupid questions but im just tryin to find out as much as possible before i sign.

Komenko
07-18-10, 11:51 PM
hello MARINES i have two quick questions about bootcamp and U.S.M.C. life.

1.shots...how many and where. (i kinda hate needles)

a lot and yearly lol.

2.does the 0311 mos change a persons personality? i mean i dont want to come back and be mean to everyone.

you won't get mean, just a bigger ego!

i know these are stupid questions but im just tryin to find out as much as possible before i sign.

hope that helps lol

D BOUJI
07-18-10, 11:56 PM
hope that helps lol

thanks for the reply Komenko... lol i hate shots but they dont make me pass out or anything like that im just wondering how many i get at bootcamp..and i heard they use a air gun also? any info is well appreciated

Komenko
07-19-10, 12:18 AM
thanks for the reply Komenko... lol i hate shots but they dont make me pass out or anything like that im just wondering how many i get at bootcamp..and i heard they use a air gun also? any info is well appreciated

I remember when I went to boot camp that I got 4 or 5 single shots and then an air gun with like 5 shots all at once! My Dad told me about that before I left and I didn't think that they would still use them then. He was in the Army in the early 70s' and I went in during the summer of 97'. I don't know if they are still in use today.

josephd
07-19-10, 12:33 AM
I never got a shot with an air gun at boot, you will get quite a few shots especially in receiving and doing your medical. You will get about 5 or 6 all in a row within about 3 minutes.

FattyTheFerret
07-19-10, 01:00 AM
Most of them aren't that bad.

But you'll hate the peanut butter shot.

Especially after you realize how many times you're going to get it.

Quinbo
07-19-10, 01:58 AM
The dreaded air gun shot .... lmao .... they tell you if you move or flinch this thing is gonna turn your arm into a bloody mess and I'll have to give it to you again in the other arm.

clansman5
07-19-10, 06:52 AM
I did see a guys arm turn bloody after that shot. Wow does that bring back memories.

waitinferage21
07-23-10, 03:17 AM
It all depends on the personality change. it depends on you. some people it don't affect if you get deployed. Some people come back scared ****less of everything. there's PTSD some people get... shaking at random times, loud noises makin them freak out and all. and ;p theres like 9 - 10 shots ;p you wont feel most of em lmao. suck it up you want to be a marine? throw that fear out the window.

Skosh59
07-23-10, 09:21 AM
The dreaded air gun shot .... lmao .... they tell you if you move or flinch this thing is gonna turn your arm into a bloody mess and I'll have to give it to you again in the other arm.

I don't remember flinching but there was a stream of blood running down my arm. :marine: Not sure if I had to get it again or not, we got so many that day I felt like a voodoo doll. Just kept moving down the line.

Lynn2
07-23-10, 09:33 AM
I have one good piece of advice for you-----do not pizz your Corpsman off.

I have seen shots. But then there have been times I have really seen shots.

Be a real crapbird azzhole and that Doc might find that somehow he has had to hit you a few times before that needle goes in all the way.

Or so I have been told.

Some of the most gentle, quiet, easy going guys I have ever known have been 03's (Reconners in my case) Some of the most over the top tough guys with a mean streak as well. And all kinds in between.

The two things they all had in common was they had all raised their hand for that gig and they could all fight like their life depended on it.

DrZ
07-23-10, 09:50 AM
Can't speak for today but in boot 40+ years ago, you were in a line...and there was a line of Corpsmen on each side with the airguns. One step forward. Pssst...Pssst. One step forward....Psst...Psst. Flinch or turn and the damn thing cut you like a knife. The blood didn't make much difference since the DI was in your face for flinching. God help you if you pass out....lol.

Prior to deployment overseas, you got gamma globulin shots....one in each butt cheek. About half way back to the barracks after the shots...it felt like someone injected rocks in your butt cheeks. It stayed that way for about 3 - 4 days. That one was a mother!

Shots are part of life in the Marines and in civilian life as well actually. You will never like them but like everything else... you will get used to them.

thewookie
07-23-10, 10:35 AM
Reminds me of when the Docs lost my shot record after returning from my first pump to Oki and the PI. I had to get like 20 or so shots all over again.

I know it was a conspiracy those frickin bastards. :mad:

Carry on. :cool:

Lynn2
07-23-10, 10:44 AM
Mine was a real crap bird.

A salty mean spirited E-2 shortly to receive a less than honorable.

He had the clap or bad blood. And they put him for some reason on an orthopedic ward. He made my life he/ll. Me a brand new green Corpsman.

Nothing I tried worked. He blew me off. He blew off the senior Marines on the ward.

Finally I had had enough.

I must have stuck him 4 or 5 times before I got that needled in his azz. And once in it stayed there for a while.

After I was done I suggested the next time I asked him to do what clearly was his job to do he might think about doing it.

I have no idea if he understood what had happened or not. But I did have less issues with him after.

LJ27
07-23-10, 11:32 AM
You get a lot of shots when you first get there, and we got more before the hike to the range. Yep, penicillin shot right in the ***. That was the most painful hike. Limped the whole 7 miles or so.