PDA

View Full Version : Considering saying yes to EAS.

baby gorilla
07-18-10, 01:28 PM
I have a few questions for Marines who may have done something similar to what I am considering doing. I have been in almost 7 years and I currently have a little over a year left on my contract. I am thinking of getting out and pursuing a career in law enforcement. How far out should I begin my job search? Thankfully I was smart enough to take advantage of TA and I will be very close to getting a BA in criminal justice right as my contract ends. I was just wondering if anyone else went this route and if so how hard was it to get your foot in the door with a police job? Any ideas/advice is appreciated. Thanks Marines.

Wyoming
07-18-10, 02:17 PM
I have a few questions for Marines who may have done something similar to what I am considering doing. I have been in almost 7 years and I currently have a little over a year left on my contract. I am thinking of getting out and pursuing a career in law enforcement. How far out should I begin my job search? Thankfully I was smart enough to take advantage of TA and I will be very close to getting a BA in criminal justice right as my contract ends. I was just wondering if anyone else went this route and if so how hard was it to get your foot in the door with a police job? Any ideas/advice is appreciated. Thanks Marines.

No business of mine, but you want out? Why? Money? In this economy!

Only a suggestion, but their are some folks that stayed for 20, AND as I understand, were able to keep their TriCare.

Stay in, keep your nose clean, make some rank, and check the benefits.

Talk to firedog (John), he, among many others is LEO. His department just had a RIF. Zulu 36 could help also.

Methinks you need to do some 'What If' situations to getting out now. I really do not see any guartantee, going LEO, and staying afloat.

Komenko
07-18-10, 02:49 PM
I was looking for jobs about 8 months out from my EAS. It gets rough if you don't have anything lined up as soon as you get out. Before getting hired on to Civil Service I had applied for the job in October 2007 and didn't get hired until April 2009. Getting past that damn computer is a pain. But if your looking into being a LEO check out the PMO jobs that are now going to Civil Service. Last I checked, Pendleton is still 25 officers short. Only reason why I left the Corps after 10 years of service was that I didn't want to be a recruiter. Make an Account on the Navy's Human Resources website https://chart.donhr.navy.mil and look around. this is what i found on the site.

<TABLE id=Table1 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>EA0-0083-07-CP010810-IN (http://javascript<b></b>:MM_openBrWindow('https://chart.donhr.navy.mil/JobSearch/jobdetailE.asp?strView=0&vid=82624','smallwindow','');)</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>10/11/2010</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>POLICE OFFICER</TD><TD vAlign=top>GS-0083-05, 06, 07</TD><TD vAlign=top>$37,580 - $60,521</TD><TD vAlign=top>CA, Camp Pendleton</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE id=Table1 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>EA0-0083-07-MQ122309-IN (http://javascript<b></b>:MM_openBrWindow('https://chart.donhr.navy.mil/JobSearch/jobdetailE.asp?strView=0&vid=82623','smallwindow','');)</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>11/30/2010</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>POLICE OFFICER</TD><TD vAlign=top>GS-0083-03, 04, 05, 06, 07</TD><TD vAlign=top>$24,499 - $49,553</TD><TD vAlign=top>NC, Jacksonville</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Apache
07-18-10, 03:06 PM
consider your moves very careully grashopper
Youre in the best spot possible to almost guarentee continued employment.
What happens when the podunk kansas police have to lay off 80 % of thier
city employees (including you )

USMCM38A1
07-18-10, 03:25 PM
They are alot of Law Eforcement agencies are downsizing right now it might be more prudent to see the career planer and find out what mos is promoting and stay where you are the jobs out here are getting few and far between.Just something to think about the ultimate decision is yours.

hbharrison
07-18-10, 03:39 PM
consider your moves very careully grashopper
Youre in the best spot possible to almost guarentee continued employment.
What happens when the podunk kansas police have to lay off 80 % of thier
city employees (including you )

He correct I spent 30 years in Law Enforcment retired as a Chief of police in Kansas under what is considered one of the best reitement systems in the midle of this country and it sucks big time would have gotten just over 890.00 a month so I took it out and reinvested just so I could make a little more jobs in LEO out here are not that secure anymore with mass budget cuts not is all good anywhere. Stay in get that retirement then if you want LEO go for it.

Vandrel
07-18-10, 03:43 PM

If you are at Lejeune during SEPS/TAPS a few police recruiters come by and take applications for employment. The Charlotte NC department actually brings a written exam with them and lets you take the test at SEPS/TAPS, that's what I did. Best part about that test is if you pass your score is good up to 1 year and you can go straight in for employment during that time.

My advice, as soon as you step out the door on terminal leave you need to have a no **** plan laid out and try to jump right into another job with no gap in pay. Try to get your pay to overlap while on terminal and in a new job.

Another set of advice, if you really want to do law enforcement you need to keep in mind that you DO qualify for the GI Bill while going through the academy AND the first year and 1/2 of probationary period of employment. That means you can work as a cop, get paid your cop paycheck and draw close to 2 years of GI Bill payments at ZERO cost to you because the department will generally cover all costs. That is covered under the GI Bill apprenticeship program.

So let's say you get hired on with Charlotte PD, you start out at $38k a year, the 1st day on the job at the academy you start to draw your GI Bill up to graduation from the academy AND the first year and 1/2 on the job under probationary status. You'll draw either the standard GI Bill payment or the post 9/11 and get BAH, which either way you'll be tacking on an additional 100% profit of over $1,000 each month. That puts you at around $56,000 STARTING OUT for nearly 2 years.

Old Marine
07-18-10, 03:49 PM
So you are going to sacrifice 8 years when you have one of the most stable jobs in the country right now. You should take this last year you have on active duty and think long and hard about what decision you are going to make.

You will probably only be around 38 or 39 if you stay in and retire, then you can pretty much pick your next career. With a little luck, by the time you retire, maybe this country will be in better shape.

I can guarantee you that the bennies you receive after retiring from the military, far out weigh the non-bennies.

Vandrel
07-18-10, 03:51 PM
Only a suggestion, but their are some folks that stayed for 20, AND as I understand, were able to keep their TriCare.

Actually.....

Anyone who seperates and does not retire RATES Tricare for an additional year after their EAS. It's called the Tricare extended program and mine just expired. You still have to pay the costs which for me and my family it was not cheap (of course my employer paid it all) but it kept us on Tricare until my employer was able to get a full package together for us.

I can guarantee you that the bennies you receive after retiring from the military, far out weigh the non-bennies.

Not to be Mr. Negative on the issue but I disagree to a extent. Working contracting right now on base I have tons of retired Marines around me and I can say from experience they get paid 10x LESS then I do because they draw a retirement check. Their gross doesn't even come close to mine AND I also get $1634 a month from the VA. That doesn't even factor in if I were to draw GI Bill money. Plus I have full benifits covered through my employer at no cost to me. While not everyone can swing the same job it does shed light onto those who stay in because they don't know there are better options outside the walls.

baby gorilla
07-18-10, 04:17 PM
Thanks for all your opinions, that is what I was looking for. I realize I have some time to figure out what I want to do, which is why I asked this question with so much time left. Deployments are starting to take a toll on my family life, so that is one reason. I am sure I will spend the next year analyzing my pros and cons list.

Wyoming
07-18-10, 04:20 PM
Thanks for all your opinions, that is what I was looking for. I realize I have some time to figure out what I want to do, which is why I asked this question with so much time left. Deployments are starting to take a toll on my family life, so that is one reason. I am sure I will spend the next year analyzing my pros and cons list.

Ok, last comment, you say that deployments are starting to take a toll on my family life.

Reckon how much of a toll umemployment would take?

ArtyOps
07-18-10, 04:25 PM
There are towns in Maine that have lost their entire police departments due to budget cuts. I was fortunate as I got out before this whole fiasco and made it through two rounds of layoffs at my company. Unfortunate though because I bought my house before the bubble popped. My house has only depreciated 15,000 though, my father in law just moved from Navada, his house dropped from 320,000 to 130,000.

1. If you are going to get out though MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A JOB BEFORE. I took 57 days of terminal leave. Started working two weeks before my EAS. USAJOBS.gov and https://chart.donhr.navy.mil are two awesome resources. When you can start on those jobs is all based on where you look. Each place will have it's own policy regarding active duty personell, so look at their online listings and call people if you have too. I started looking about two years before I got out.

2. Go to TAP/TAMP as soon as you can get there, even if you're toying with staying in. There is a lot of good information about benefits that would have been nice to have in basic training. Stuff like make sure your medical record is immaculate nd anything that has gone wrong with you since you've been in is well documented. For example, if you have a bum knee that started since you've been in make sure you have it checked again before you get out. The VA will cover all of your medical for it after you get out and they may pay you for it under Service Connected Disability. Now, don't tell me something like "I'm not doing that because it's taking a hand out" or some other reason like that. I read through my companies health insurance policy and it doesn't cover "pre-existing conditions" or "service connected injuries". If you choose not to go with the VA, no one may cover it.

Thats all I can put for now... The wife is hounding me to get off the computer.

HurricaneRJ
07-18-10, 06:51 PM
My EAs is 1.5 years out but I'm on the rope when it comes to getting out. I've grown as a Marine these past eight months of being in charge and now I see what stupid suit that happened last year...

Wyoming
07-18-10, 07:16 PM
Raymon, you are finally growing up. <br />
<br />
Semper Fidelis, My Brother.

AdirondackDog
07-18-10, 07:39 PM
The junior ranks are plagued with the idea that life is better on the outside. I hear it all the time. " I cant wait to get out of here". I just shake my head, because arrogant 19-25 year olds dont want to hear the truth.

ArtyOps
07-18-10, 09:20 PM
The junior ranks are plagued with the idea that life is better on the outside. I hear it all the time. " I cant wait to get out of here". I just shake my head, because arrogant 19-25 year olds dont want to hear the truth.

Nor will they do anything to properly prepare for getting out until they've got one foot out the door. I enjoyed most of the 9 years and change I was in but I can tell you that the past two and a half years of uninterrupted time with my wife and kids has been amazing. I do not regret going in and I do not regret getting out. I wouldn't change a thing.

This is all my own experiences though. I'm not pushing staying in or getting out but if someone needs advice on either I am ready to impart any knowledge I have.

:flag:

TunTvrnWarrior
07-18-10, 09:22 PM
Ok, let me get this straight. You will have 8 years and will be almost halfway to retirement with a college education? Get with your CO and put in a package for Warrant Officer School. You can get your Masters in the next 12 and make boo-ku bucks when you get out after 20. Those 12 years will go by faster than you can even fathom.
DONT GET OUT! IT SUCKS OUT HERE JOB WISE. I was once a mouthy little LCPL who thought re-treads and lifers couldnt make it on the outside. I now realize they had wisdom. They are laying off teachers and police officers like gangbusters out here.
If you do get out, it would behoove you to be hired as a federal employee before you get out. But, here is the kicker. We have a President who is making Jimmy Carter look good. President Carter gave us a Ronald Reagan because of ol Jimmy's incompetance. President Reagan came in and kicked butt. The next President will kick butt. That President will still have a war to fight. That President will downsize the federal government. He will not play. I dont believe federal jobs will be safe when the new President takes over because he will have one heck of a mess on his hands.

Big Jim
07-18-10, 09:35 PM
Law Enforcement jobs are NOT all equally paying. For instance, here in Ohio the average pay range for a new State Patrolman is around $48k a year to start out with and after some seniority and some rank, I know some cops who make well over $75K a year. But they also earn it too. And....for the most part, I would highly advise staying in for the 20. Getting a job is NO joke anymore. Its HIGHLY competitive out here. Stay where you are and enjoy the stability of having the good paying and steady, secure position that you have. Because it ALL changes once you get out...trust me on that one.

Integrity57
07-18-10, 09:46 PM

I definetly agree with that, when I was still in I worked with some people who's only desire was to get out of the Navy and they all had their own reasons, some being that they just didn't want to leave their kids when they had to deploy. A couple of them thought that I was lucky that I was being Med Sepped but I don't think they took into account how ****ty the economy and job market is and all the benefits I was losing by being seperated.

I joined to serve my country and maybe make a career out of it and not just for the college money. The only advantage I saw to being Med Sepped was that I didn't have to work for a ****bag LPO and I was getting out of Florida because I couldn't stand the humidity down there but that's it. I wish I was still in and pursuing a degree at the same time, the civilian world sucks ass IMO and I would trade places with one of my former co-workers in a heartbeat to be back on full, active duty.

MD8724
07-19-10, 02:14 AM
Another set of advice, if you really want to do law enforcement you need to keep in mind that you DO qualify for the GI Bill while going through the academy AND the first year and 1/2 of probationary period of employment. That means you can work as a cop, get paid your cop paycheck and draw close to 2 years of GI Bill payments at ZERO cost to you because the department will generally cover all costs. That is covered under the GI Bill apprenticeship program.

I believe you only rate the Montgomery GI bill while in the academy. Pretty sure the Post 9/11 won't work, although i could be wrong. You should definitely look into before you switch to the 9/11, because once you change it, you can't go back.

Phantom Blooper
07-19-10, 07:15 AM
Grass is always greener over the septic tank.

No one can tell you what to do...it is you and your families decision.

However you have been given some great advice....

Pick and choose....

From personal expeirence.....whether military or civilian the long and tiring hours can take a toll on family life.

Your decision...Good luck to you!:evilgrin:

Vandrel
07-19-10, 09:08 AM
I enjoyed most of the 9 years and change I was in but I can tell you that the past two and a half years of uninterrupted time with my wife and kids has been amazing. I do not regret going in and I do not regret getting out. I wouldn't change a thing.

That is my exact same story right there. I enjoyed my time in but the time with my family by far out weighs it.

I believe you only rate the Montgomery GI bill while in the academy. Pretty sure the Post 9/11 won't work, although i could be wrong. You should definitely look into before you switch to the 9/11, because once you change it, you can't go back.

You rate the GI Bill as of TD1 at the academy as well as the additional probationary period following the academy. Every department is different so some may only be probationary for a year and others a bit longer, either way the period is still covered under the apprenticeship program for the GI Bill.

The only "real" difference between post 9/11 and traditional is where the actual money goes to cover the costs, aside from the BAH. Neither options will "limit" you on where you can go and what is covered by the core GI Bill. It's still the GI Bill.

PGN63
07-19-10, 11:15 AM
Not to be Mr. Negative on the issue but I disagree to a extent. Working contracting right now on base I have tons of retired Marines around me and I can say from experience they get paid 10x LESS then I do because they draw a retirement check. Their gross doesn't even come close to mine AND I also get $1634 a month from the VA. That doesn't even factor in if I were to draw GI Bill money. Plus I have full benifits covered through my employer at no cost to me. While not everyone can swing the same job it does shed light onto those who stay in because they don't know there are better options outside the walls.

You bring up some valid points but it is not the rule. Getting a job consists of the employer and employee agreeing on compensation. The employees should not allow the retirement (its really retainer pay, it becomes retired pay after the Marine goes over 30) or medical to play a part in his or her compensation.

The full benifits does come at a cost to you. Before a contract is in place and a Statement Of Work is awarded, each position for the work is priced out. Generally speaking one position using GAO rates would call for a person starting at $70 an hour. The trick for the employee is to get the person to agree to work for a little as possible. If the employee agrees to come on for $20 an hour (annaul salary about $41,000), the employer has an extra $50 per hour to pay for medical, dental, vacation, sickdays, quarterly awards. While you don't see medical listed on you pay statements, you are paying for it, the employer would go out of business if he wasn't making a profit on you.

Something that a lot of Marines don't think about when they get out is the amount of pay that they had that was tax free, this put them into a lower tax bracket. They see thier annual income for taxes being something like $22,000, they get offered a job at $41,000 and they think that they just had a massive pay increase. After a couple of paydays and higher tax bracket they realize that they actually have less disposable income than when they were a L/Cpl.

When I retired, for me to breakeven with my active duty pay (GySgt) and the new tax bracket, I would have needed to take a job making at least $61,000 a year, this was in 2002.

Kegler300
07-19-10, 11:26 AM
Nothing like the little security a retirement check provides, along with disability...

PGN63
07-19-10, 12:27 PM
While not everyone can swing the same job it does shed light onto those who stay in because they don't know there are better options outside the walls.

I really think that you didn't need to throw in that last sentence.

Zulu 36
07-19-10, 12:55 PM
I'm jumping in a little late.

LEO jobs in the civilian sector are harder to get right now. Most state, county, and municipal governments tend to lay off cops, firefighters, and paramedics early on during financial troubles. Two reasons: One, they usually cost the most in employee compensation/benefits, and two, taxpayers don't like to lose their police/fire/medic protection and are more willing to go along with a tax increase to prevent the layoffs (not always though).

Absent layoffs, they will not fill openings created due to retirements, resignations, or disciplinary terminations. It is cheaper over the short-term to pay overtime to cover some work than it is to pay a separate full-time employee to do it. Short-term can mean one or two years.

If you really want to get out, look at those Marine Corps Police jobs that are opening up. The pay isn't bad, and is actually better than some civilian police jobs. I will say that some civilian agencies pay much more. Plus, the MC Police jobs are good time fillers and experience gainers until the police job you would really like opens up again.

However, give careful thought about getting out of the Corps right now. A lot of folks on this site are kicking themselves for getting out and now they can't get back in.

Vandrel
07-19-10, 12:55 PM
That wasn't directed at anyone who retired, I myself stayed longer then 4, my point to that was that I knew a lot of Marines who were scared to get out because all they knew was Marine Corps life. I helped about 20+ Marines through their exit process while I was going through mine, something I wished was done for me when I was a 20 year old Cpl coming up on a EAS.

Vandrel
07-19-10, 01:14 PM
The federal police as mentioned is a excellent option. You can apply at the Lejeune human resource office by the main gate. I forget the lady's name but you just leave a resume and she will get back to you.

One key note to the federal police (marine corps police) is that they look for deployment experience

PaidinBlood
07-19-10, 02:08 PM
I really think that you didn't need to throw in that last sentence.

Why not? You could even expand it to include those who made ANY decision at reenlistment simply due to a lack of information or a willingness to seek opportunity?

How many Marines have you seen get out just because "this s#it is gay" or they want to be individuals?

How many Marines just raise their hand and stay where they are because they have carved out a niche where mere attrition confers authority upon them?

How many Marines voluntarily leave because they have no clue how wide a variety of opportunities are before them?

I, like many others, came from an grunt battalion and we were raised with a very limited worm's eye view of the Corps. I will readily admit that I re-upped at the last minute and probably didn't choose very well (by that I mean I didn't think about it, not that I made a bad choice) but I am having fun and making the best of it. That said, I watched as the very undistinguished "Class of '09" shuffled along out of the service and into unemployment and welfare lines. Many of those who stayed just let inertia or fear of the outside carry them (us?) along for another ride. Then there were others, whether EASing or reenlisting, planned ahead and made the right choices and are excelling wherever they go, be it in the 03 field, other MOSs, or in the private sector.

I doubt Vandrel was knocking those who choose to continue serving, but no matter what route a Marine chooses, he must thoroughly research all the options. Don't let circumstances or inaction force you into any one route...

I forgot what I was rambling about....time for more coffee...S/F..:usmc:

Vandrel
07-19-10, 02:23 PM
I doubt Vandrel was knocking those who choose to continue serving, but no matter what route a Marine chooses, he must thoroughly research all the options.

I may have poorly described my point but you did get it. Typing on a iPhone that's working slow as dirt is hard when replying to threads here.

I have many friends that stayed in and are still serving in all ranks from Non-NCO to E-9 and on up to Col's that I served with. I don't knock any of them who stayed in. My point was simply the portion of those who stay in because they don't know what is outside the Corps, the ones who get told by the career planner that there are zero jobs outside the military and if they don't stay in they will be unemployed and have no money.

I got out about 8 months after my unit returned from a deployment. There was about 50 of us seperating within the 8 month window that I got out. I keep in touch with everyone I deployed with and out of those who did get out not one of them are living in a card board box with no food or money. Nearly 80% of us who got out around the same time are full time students making big bucks off of the GI Bill. The rest of us are pulling 9-5 jobs or in my case 8-4, getting paid well with great job security and a nice THICK resume for the future.

I'm not anti-reup, I just hate to see Marines that are not getting the big picture about all of their options. Not saying that all the career planners in the Marine Corps try to paint a horrible image of the outside-world but we all know there are those who do infact impose such images as well as SNCO's and Officers who do the same.

Like PaidinBlood siad, it's all about how the individual preps for EAS

PGN63
07-19-10, 04:40 PM
I'm not anti-reup, I just hate to see Marines that are not getting the big picture about all of their options.

That's exactly how I feel brother...but....you unintentionally painted a bad picture from the 10X pay (which as a DVTE bubba Cubic wouldn't do) to the last sentence.

You're doing great at the Sim Center but your post didn't paint a pretty picture for us retired old bubbas. ;)

PGN63
07-19-10, 04:45 PM
Why not? You could even expand it to include those who made ANY decision at reenlistment simply due to a lack of information or a willingness to seek opportunity?

As the sentence stood, no, expanding to include what you posted...good to go.

Contrary to what some may think lifer doesn't stand for Lazy Ignorant F&*# Expecting Retirement.

When a brother or sister asks for advise we should paint an accurate picture or let them know that it is an individuals opinion.

BTW....I had the same experience as you; victor to victor to victor, spent the first 12 years in line units until I was forced into MSG, didn't do much for promotion in the grunts but I was having a heck of a good time.

Vandrel
07-19-10, 05:29 PM
That's exactly how I feel brother...but....you unintentionally painted a bad picture from the 10X pay (which as a DVTE bubba Cubic wouldn't do) to the last sentence.

You're doing great at the Sim Center but your post didn't paint a pretty picture for us retired old bubbas.

Just so I don't bite the bullet on this one I'll rephrase the exageration of "10x" :yes:. As I don't know the figures that my coworkers pull I do know that of some friends over on different contracts and projects, which threw me for a loop some time back when I first signed on.

I don't want to paint a bad picture at all and if I did that wasn't my intent but quite the opposite. I was aiming more so to paint the picture of the "pro's" for both sides of the house.

I will say this, the key reason I signed on for a on-base contracting job was to stick around Marines, both active/reserve and prior service/retired. There's nothing I enjoy more in a work environment then being around other Marines. Makes the day go by faster :beer:

Contrary to what some may think lifer doesn't stand for Lazy Ignorant F&*# Expecting Retirement.

That's pretty funny, never heard of that one before though I got called some interesting things when I signed on for another 4 when all of my buddies were getting out.

PGN63
07-19-10, 05:50 PM
I will say this, the key reason I signed on for a on-base contracting job was to stick around Marines, both active/reserve and prior service/retired. There's nothing I enjoy more in a work environment then being around other Marines. Makes the day go by faster :beer:

This is very true but there is a possible bad side....we never really 'got out' and took on a real job. I'm not busting on what we do, it's just that we really haven't changed our environment except for taking away the deployments, growing hair, establishing a semi permanent harbor site, and getting a hefty pay raise. Even tough our contract doesn't allow it.....we still work wierd hours and do not stick by the 40 a week time clock.

Do you still shoot?

My first look at Camp Perry was as pulling soccermom type duties with my 16 yr old daughter.

Vandrel
07-19-10, 06:06 PM
This is very true but there is a possible bad side....we never really 'got out' and took on a real job. I'm not busting on what we do, it's just that we really haven't changed our environment except for taking away the deployments, growing hair, establishing a semi permanent harbor site, and getting a hefty pay raise. Even tough our contract doesn't allow it.....we still work wierd hours and do not stick by the 40 a week time clock.

Do you still shoot?

My first look at Camp Perry was as pulling soccermom type duties with my 16 yr old daughter.

Funny enough I have to agree, some of my buddies that stuck things out here around Lejeune have been doing more labor intesive jobs around town then they did on a regular working day in the Corps. While I still come home each day and say I busted my ass at work it won't ever really compare to life in the Corps sitting inside a hot ass AAV during summer busting rust until 1630. One thing I do enjoy is non-deployable. Little quick hops around don't count in my book :D, I think of them as vacation from the office.

Funny you mention shooting, I'm thinking of taking the wife to Flatwoods this coming weekend to see how she can handle a pistol. I'm still shoping for a nice boom stick to keep in the house.

brian0351
07-20-10, 01:00 AM
Another option for LEO is Federal Law Enforcement. Pretty much every government agency has it's own uniformed police force.

Uniformed Secret Service
CIA Special Protective Officer
Pentagon Police
Capitol Police
FBI Special Protective Officer
Supreme Court Police
Treasury Police

The government is always hiring and most times your military service will transfer over for retirement and vacation time. Plus with alot of those jobs, you can laterally move into a different branch within the agency. Friend of mine was a CIA SPO for 5 years, now he moved into a technical security dept.

fishcraze
07-20-10, 05:22 AM
There's more outside the Corps than government jobs and LEO jobs. Not knocking cops, just saying there's more out there. I work for an oilfield services company that does directional drilling. Half the guys I work with are prior Marine, Army, and Navy. Hell, my coordinator (boss) is prior Navy. A roughneck on a drilling rig makes $60K a yr and works 6 months. If you can stand being gone more than that, you can get a job like I have and make $100K+. I know guys making $250K+. The money is definitely there if you want to work and the oilfield loves prior military. Also, its not just limited to the "South". Lots of drilling going on in West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Michigan, etc. They cant find enough hands to work up there and are having to send up guys from TX and LA to do the work. There's another option for you right there.