PDA

View Full Version : DLAB Score and Crypto-Linguist Question

NGEdwards88
07-16-10, 01:21 PM
I recently took the DLAB (this past Wednesday) and scored a 98 on it. I scored a 90 on the AFQT version of my ASVAB and did really well on all of my line scores. My first MOS choice was "Cryptologic Linguist", and was pretty excited to do that. However, I was told I needed a 100 or above to qualify. I understand that cryptology takes a lot of thinking and unless you exceed that 100 line the first time it will be difficult to get the MOS. However, due to the fact that I was only two points off, if I re-took it and exceeded the 100 mark the second time would it be possible for me to get this MOS?

haebyungdae
07-16-10, 07:38 PM
First off, if I don't say it then the next person after me will probably say it; you need to fill out your profile completely, name and whatnot.

It wouldn't hurt to take it again to see if you can do better, just talk to your recruiter. Even if your recruiter says that the chance of getting the MOS after taking the DLAB a second time is difficult I don't see what's wrong with just doing it anyways and hoping for the best. Talk to your recruiter and see what he says. If he says you can take it again, then by all means you should go for it. As for whether or not you have less of a chance to get the MOS, no idea, talk to your recruiter because this question is a little to specific for most of us on here to answer.

You got to remember too, there is more that goes into whether you can get that MOS then just meeting the standards of DLAB and ASVAB line scores, so even if you 'passed' it the first time you are, I would say, just as likely to get it as you would having taken it a second time. It's all a matter of what spaces your RSS has open and in which MOS'. From what I've read on the forum here from poolees it seems that there is not a single recruiter out there hurting for bodies so the chances of getting a DLAB waiver are probably nil (but you can always bring that up to your recruiter, if they are hurting to fill that space then they may go for it).

NGEdwards88
07-17-10, 01:18 PM
I appreciate the prompt and detailed response, thanks. I'll make sure to talk to my recruiter about it. He did say I should probably just look to get one of the other MOS's I chose, but I figured I might as well try and pass the test again if crypto-linguist is really the MOS I want. Thanks again for your time.

haebyungdae
07-17-10, 05:57 PM
Not really sure about this, so don't quote me on it, but I don't recall there being multiple versions of the DLAB. If there is only one version then that could be why taking it again is less accepted. But, yeah, go for it if your recruiter lets you. If he doesn't and he has what was said before as a reason, then don't hold it against him.

If you are interested in the 2600 field, and can't go linguist, I recommend choosing either 2621 or 2631, if possible. They are just as interesting and we all work together for the most part, sometimes doing the same type of work (dependent on where you get stationed as part of that MOS).

Endurance89
07-17-10, 06:12 PM
Ah, the DLAB. Bunch of bollocks. My recruiting station made everyone with higher than a 70 AFQT take it. I was an infantry contract and had no desire to do anything but that. Got a 107, and felt more like an idiot than if I had failed. Wee! I can speak gibberish...

Sorry, this probably doesn't help you. Spent a lot of time in the sun today...

NGEdwards88
07-17-10, 09:28 PM
I think you can take the DLAB every two months, that's probably when they change the test. I'll make sure to ask my recruiter about it. And Endur, not a problem, I got a good laugh out of it! Plus I completely agree. All that fake language ridiculousness made my head spin.

Beltayn
07-18-10, 06:14 AM
IIRC you aren't actually supposed to retake the DLAB for at least a year.