PDA

View Full Version : What can you request for and/or volunteer for once a Marine?

32JJW0311
07-16-10, 01:10 AM
From my recruiters they say once in any MOS you can request for: Jump School, SEER School, Dive School, The Mountain School, and many others...is this so?
It's basically having all the training of a Recon Marine and not being Recon? If you wanted and your Commander allowed it right?:idea:

Quinbo
07-16-10, 02:06 AM
It is unrealistic to think you will go to school after school. You train up as a cohisive unit and that means you have to be there and part of that unit. I've known infantry Marines that went to uhhhh none.

marharri
07-16-10, 02:09 AM
theoretically yes. the key words are "your Commander allowed it." your commander doesn't care what school you, as a PFC want to go to unless they need it. at that point, they will ask for volunteers or choose someone. if you want to do these kind of things, go 0300. on the other hand, i knew an admin guy that got to take the recon course because of his 1st clawss swim qual, expert rifle, and 300 pft. if you are chuck norris, go with whatever MOS you like and express interest though your chain of command. otherwise, focus on your MOS you have chosen. for 0300, you are only limited by your abilities as a marine.

josephd
07-16-10, 02:31 AM
you can request just about anything all you want but chances of getting approved to go are slim. Unless there is a need for you to go to a particular school by your unit its probably not going to happen. I know some Marines get jump school as a re-enlistment incentive.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-16-10, 03:34 AM
My MOS at various times required me to attend some cool schools. However.......
Realistically, if you are admin, supply, Aviation Ordnance, and the like, your chances of going to ANYthing other than SOI, your MOS school, and NCO school (aka The Corporals and/or Sergeants Course nowadays) are exactly slim/nil, and none. To begin with, those schools cost MONEY to send you to....something the Corps is LOATHE to do for someone who will realistically NOT use those skills in their primary MOS...second, if the Marine Corps needs "MarSoc" skills....why, they'll just tap into.....MarSoc.

Jump school as a reenlistment incentive is about your only chance. Also, at this point, concentrate on BECOMING a Marine, and worry about this other stuff a tad bit later.

And I got Airborne school because I was an Infantryman going to Recon Bn. SERE because I was in Intelligence. Foreign Weapons familiarization and the other stuff, for the same reasons. Yes, if you get the right MOS, there are cool schools you CAN attend. But as I said before.....worry about getting through Recruit Training for now.

32JJW0311
07-16-10, 04:25 AM
Thank you Marines! May I ask everyones experiences of their schools that they attended for training?

Quinbo
07-16-10, 04:47 AM
You'll have to keep in mind the schools I attended were spread out over a period of 13 years.
Small Unit Leaders Course
Jungle Environmental training
Non Commissioned Officers Course
Battalion Scout School
Helo Dunker Course
Marksmanship instructor course
Combat Marksmanship instructor course
Gas Oil platform take down course
Maritime interdiction course
Helo bourne rope suspension trainer / rope master course
Close Quarter Battle Course
Military operations in Urban terrain instructor course
Counter Terrorism Driving Course
Summer Mountain Leaders Course
NRA weapons instructor course
NRA long range weapons course
Air Assault School

I was lucky enough to be in a trailer platoon married up with a force platoon for a year.
There we were crossed trained in small craft such as rigid raiders and zodiacs. Special radios and tactics and all kinds of cool stuff.

Some inconsequential but still more training
3270 administration and security course .... computer geek stuff
Volunteer income tax assistant.... IRS came and showed us how to help people do their taxes.

I'll bet I missed some but close enough.

Additionally there is an MCI for just about anything. You will get training but it won't be sexy and won't get you a badge on your chest.

32JJW0311
07-17-10, 12:29 AM
Thank you Sergeant Quinn those look like some fun schools.

Beltayn
07-17-10, 04:15 PM
Picking ONE special school to go to (such as jump school) in lieu of a bonus is something you can get as a reenlistment incentive.
The thing is, if you're joe-admin going to jump school, you'll come out with your basically qualified silver wings, but have pretty much zero expectation of being able to follow that up with doing the additional jumps to earn your gold airborne wings.

If you want to do stuff like that, be locked-on and squared away, have a expert rifle badge and a 300 PFT, and volunteer for MARSOC once you are an NCO with some experience.

32JJW0311
07-18-10, 01:05 AM
Picking ONE special school to go to (such as jump school) in lieu of a bonus is something you can get as a reenlistment incentive.
The thing is, if you're joe-admin going to jump school, you'll come out with your basically qualified silver wings, but have pretty much zero expectation of being able to follow that up with doing the additional jumps to earn your gold airborne wings.

If you want to do stuff like that, be locked-on and squared away, have a expert rifle badge and a 300 PFT, and volunteer for MARSOC once you are an NCO with some experience.

Thank you.

Quinbo
07-20-10, 04:17 AM
Some of those schools had a prerequisite of rank. They aint gonna send a boot ass PFC to mountain leaders course. Additionally if you are sent to a high speed school and bomb it you aint going to no more.

gunnyE7
07-21-10, 02:47 AM
You can volunteer and request for most any school you want but that doesn't mean your going to get it. Understood? No carry on..you've heard enough.

HOWARDROARK3043
08-27-10, 07:07 PM
MARSOC is cool............

viper1833
08-28-10, 02:35 AM
MARSOC is cool............

So is my touch screen phone :D, oh and beer freaking rocks to haha :beer:

Backhaus 1103
08-28-10, 10:13 AM
You want to know what schools you get to do...infantry squad leaders course if you might be a squad leader, machine gun leades course if you're a 31 and a team leader and above, morter leaders course same sh*t as the 31 one but for 41s, assualt leaders course same but for 51, they might have one for 52s but I'm not sure. Then there is DM school. All of which as a boot you will not be going to sh*t. All the schools you listed you probably have a better chance of blowing fairy dust out your a*s them going to them.

Backhaus 1103
08-28-10, 10:30 AM
I forgot to add the NCO courses.
There really isn't enough time to be doing all of these schools with the work up and deployment rotation you have to do.