PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Preparation

RileyTG
07-15-10, 12:14 PM
I am 17 and planning on enlisting after my senior year. I have already started PT and begun reading everything related to the Infantry I can get my hands on. I'm trying to be a guide or at least a squad leader in boot camp. To do this, i've been told that already being proficient at parts of boot camp is important in order to be a leader there. The only thing I'm really worried about is swimming and shooting. Does anybody have any advice on how to learn combat stroke (and become proficient at it) and how to improve my marksmanship. I would just go out and practice, but i don't want to build any bad habits. Are there shooting schools that will teach me the USMC way to shoot a rifle?

Thanks for any help
Riley

WXSgt
07-15-10, 12:20 PM
Thanks for moving it i was saying Sgt Lep would but your on the ball good job on that. for shooting they will teach you there DO NOT worry bout it. Some of the best shooters had never touched a rifle in their life. also swimming just stay calm and relax ive been up to CWS-2 it goes 4-3-2-1-Q so right up there most people stop at 4. and remember backstroke is your friend when you have alot of weight on you meaning gearwise

Garyius
07-15-10, 01:17 PM
For shooting, the CMP program. It is a government program working with private clubs and the NRA for the purpose of rifle training for the public-- so they are better prepared for the military.

http://www.odcmp.com/Clubs.htm

You want to concentrate on service rifle AR-15. There should be some events around, you will want to start with a clinic if you can attend one. It will make grass week a much better use of your time if you already know the sight adjustment and proper positions. You then get a week in boot to really warm back up.

Unless you get E-3 out of boot, though, no one really cares once you get through MOS and out to the fleet.

terran1996
07-15-10, 01:44 PM
I agree with WXSgt don't worry about shooting, the corp will teach you all you need to know. When I joined I had almost no shooting experience after bootcamp I continuously qualified as Expert.

You will be best served by concentrating on PT and Marine Corps knowledge.

WXSgt
07-15-10, 01:50 PM
again i agree with terran on the pt and knowledge even though knowledge will be pounded into your brain youll even get to learn about the E-0 rank

ameriken
07-15-10, 02:39 PM
I also agree with the Sgts about shooting, I never shot a rifle in my life. Shot sharpshooter in boot, and expert later in the Corps. The problem with learning before you go in is you could develop some habits that actually become a hindrance to you in Boot Camp. Your first week at the rifle range will be called 'snapping in', which is a painful experience of learning your shooting positions. Treat this very seriously, as this is the foundation of qualifying. IMO, the better you are at snapping in, the better you'll do on the range, both in Boot Camp and during your time in the Corps.

WXSgt
07-15-10, 02:42 PM
also with shooting during snapin week you will do kneeling alot id recommend streching before that and getting accustomed to low kneeling it is supposed to be the most stable kneeling position but hurts like hell if u dont stretch out your ankle/leg. that is the only shooting type stuff id recommend before you go

usmcrro
07-15-10, 03:03 PM
I am 17 and planning on enlisting after my senior year. I have already started PT and begun reading everything related to the Infantry I can get my hands on. I'm trying to be a guide or at least a squad leader in boot camp. To do this, i've been told that already being proficient at parts of boot camp is important in order to be a leader there. The only thing I'm really worried about is swimming and shooting. Does anybody have any advice on how to learn combat stroke (and become proficient at it) and how to improve my marksmanship. I would just go out and practice, but i don't want to build any bad habits. Are there shooting schools that will teach me the USMC way to shoot a rifle?

Thanks for any help
Riley

Shooting is pretty much covered so I won't beat that. On swimming, you should come into boot camp with basic water survival skills. Before you learn the combat stroke you must master the side stroke and other basic skills such as keeping your head down and align with the body. You will not be timed in 4-2 class swim qual. so you don't necessarily have to know it (at least for boot). Breathing and relaxing are the key. Learn to float on your back and the basic backstroke. You can also use side stroke and breast stroke or a combination of the two. The YMCA has programs that can help you be comfortable in the water