PDA

View Full Version : Deciding to enlist.

ricky54326
07-15-10, 12:52 AM
Hello everyone, my name is Rick and I am thinking about joining the Marine Corps. I am pretty sure I am decided on this, but I want to know some stuff - just anything you guys can tell me about that I should know. Has anyone ever had any bad experiences? I think the Marine Corps has just about everything I could expect when it comes to a future, and so that is why I am pretty damn sure I am going to enlist. I am pretty badly out of shape at the moment, but I am considering enlisting in the DEP so that I can get in the best shape by the time next summer rolls around.

What do you guys think? Also, what are some MOS's that you guys had? I was thinking something in Engineering, Logistics, or Electrical Repair. Possibly food service :P

I got an 82 on the pre-ASVAB screening test that I took with my recruiter, and I am going to take the ASVAB next month.

josephd
07-15-10, 12:59 AM
you left that pretty wide open for a lot of different interpretations and opinions. I love being a Marine but have had bad experiences, I am sure every other Marine on this site will say the same.

Those MOS's you listed cover a wide range of different jobs and duties. This is all up to you and what you want out of the Corps. You don't seem all that "decided" on being a Marine if you come on here with vague questions/posts like this.

ricky54326
07-15-10, 01:05 AM
you left that pretty wide open for a lot of different interpretations and opinions. I love being a Marine but have had bad experiences, I am sure every other Marine on this site will say the same.

Those MOS's you listed cover a wide range of different jobs and duties. This is all up to you and what you want out of the Corps. You don't seem all that "decided" on being a Marine if you come on here with vague questions/posts like this.

I am decided, just not sure what MOS to sign off as at all. I am a very dynamic person sometimes, and do not want to sign off for a field that I will not be sure for later, you know what I mean? I did not mean to be impolite or anything like that, so yes I am somewhat vague at the moment as those are just POSSIBLE fields for myself in the future - I wanted some opinion/feedback on those fields, and see what people have done in these fields. Once again, I did not mean to be rude or disrespectful.

josephd
07-15-10, 01:22 AM
again those MOS fields cover a wide spectrum of jobs/duties...

engineers for example....you sign as a 13xx...you could be a heavy equipment operator, bulk fuel, or a combat engineer. Even as a combat engineer your job will change based on whether your unit is assigned to a logistics or division. you might be blowin stuff up with the grunts or you might be building racks and workbenches....needs of the Corps my friend. I have a good buddy in Afghanistan right now, his MOS is supply but he is out doing patrols.

ricky54326
07-15-10, 01:31 AM
I feel ya there, I almost love the idea of needs of the Corps, because then I would know I am doing something that overall benefits those in need, rather than just my personal choice, you know what I mean? I have a lot of working out to do from now and whenever it is that I get shipped off, but I am definitely starting on that and I hope to be in real good shape by then.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-15-10, 01:42 AM
Tried running a search on those particular fields/MOS's? There's a sticky in this forum on Food service, BTW.

ricky54326
07-15-10, 01:46 AM
I saw that, Sgt Leprechaun, I am not sure if that is so much my thing after seeing that, I would be more of a General's Aide rather than just a cook for thousands of portions at a time. I am narrowed down for the most part towards more of an Electronics field, that is really my thing.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-15-10, 02:25 AM
Ahh, roger that.

waitinferage21
07-23-10, 03:20 AM
bad experiance? :) youll have em... lol working party up!!!!!! police call!!!!!!! get through that door you're on point! haha

scifguard
07-23-10, 05:26 AM
bad experiance? :) youll have em... lol working party up!!!!!! police call!!!!!!! get through that door you're on point! haha

also known as being voluntold.

afraziaaaa
07-23-10, 04:52 PM
Hello everyone, my name is Rick and I am thinking about joining the Marine Corps. I am pretty sure I am decided on this, but I want to know some stuff - just anything you guys can tell me about that I should know. Has anyone ever had any bad experiences? I think the Marine Corps has just about everything I could expect when it comes to a future, and so that is why I am pretty damn sure I am going to enlist. I am pretty badly out of shape at the moment, but I am considering enlisting in the DEP so that I can get in the best shape by the time next summer rolls around.

What do you guys think? Also, what are some MOS's that you guys had? I was thinking something in Engineering, Logistics, or Electrical Repair. Possibly food service :P

I got an 82 on the pre-ASVAB screening test that I took with my recruiter, and I am going to take the ASVAB next month.

Here's a bad experience. Getting sent out on recruiting duty and reporting to my station, then being told I have to move 500 miles north after I had already secured an apartment and unpacked everything.

Here's another. I got overpaid once and I said something to my administrative section. They corrected it next paycheck which was $34.22. Lucky for me I set aside the overpayment because I had good advice from one of my Sergeants who had been through the same thing.

Let me put it into perspective for you. I considered transferring to the Army on the blue to green interservice transfer program so I can become an officer (tattoo issues prevent me from attending USMC OCS). I decided against it because I just can't leave the Marine Corps. The Eagle, Globe and Anchor is tattooed on my soul.

Given the fact that you have made it to these forums means you are seriously considering this. From experience I know that if you decide against joining, for any reason, you will regret it for the rest of your life.

Google USMC MOS to find a list of jobs and explanations.