PDA

View Full Version : Is the Reserves a good decision?

Yankeeloon200
07-15-10, 12:16 AM
Hello Marines,

I was talking with a recruiter today about my interests and he said i would be great for Enlisted Aircrew (I think thats what it was called), I want to serve my country really badly and im so happy that i finally graduated high school and can fufull that dream of mine of earning that Eagle globe and anchor.

I was looking into the Pararescue program in the Airforce during my senior year while also looking at the Marines but it just looks to dang hard i think it has something like a 98% dropout rate right now so im looking at the Marines Aviation field.

Their the first to fight, and i love helping people and i want to be that guy that a pilot or Marine says "He saved my life/hes a Dam good *insert MOS here* and im kind of interested in mech/electrical stuff. I asked a Marine Recruiter at the local station over here and he said that would suit me really well (Something in Aircrew i forgot what MOS he suggested). So i took his advice and im sure that the Marines gave me the best impression on what i want to get out of the Military.

The thing is though that i cant decide between Active and Reserves and this isent really a decision that i can make without some advice so what better then this board? Im looking at Active obviously because's their no down time like the reserves, 4 years serving your country and no interruptions just go to boot, school, etc. But, the Reserves can offer you a Guaranteed MOS which is 1 of the MAJOR reasons why im leaning towards it, but i dont want to be going to school and boot camp every once a year, i think that would be a pain in the a**, including some friends saying that they can call on you to be activated whenever they want whatever you situation is with Family/College etc.. Its a 8 year contract so this is a really big commitment.

But also on top of Guaranteeing a job i like that i can go to college while their paying for it. It gives me the oppourtunity to go to college and get a degree if i decide not to make a Career out of the Marine Corps or any MOS of that matter.. Aircrew i know also dosent really give you skills when you EAS.

Basing on my interests, can some Marine here give me some advice! Even maybe from their personal experiences if they had the same difficulity deciding as i am? Im thinking about Reserves but Active Duty just seems like a smoother way to do things in the Corps. Thanks!

thewookie
07-15-10, 12:27 AM
I say go Air Force, reserve.

josephd
07-15-10, 12:33 AM
boot once a year?....you go to boot camp once, that's it. Same with MCT, and MOS schools.

yes in the reserves you are guaranteed a specific MOS but it might not be one that you exactly want. You said you are interested in the air wing, is that what your recruiter told you is available in your local reserve units?

My suggestion to you would be to go active duty, do your 4 years and then decide from there what want. Unless you have something going on at home already (good job, school, family issues, etc) that you need to be there for why stay?....get out see the world and meet new people. I would give anything to be 17, 18, or 19 again and enlist active duty.

Yankeeloon200
07-15-10, 12:44 AM
boot once a year?....you go to boot camp once, that's it. Same with MCT, and MOS schools.

yes in the reserves you are guaranteed a specific MOS but it might not be one that you exactly want. You said you are interested in the air wing, is that what your recruiter told you is available in your local reserve units?

My suggestion to you would be to go active duty, do your 4 years and then decide from there what want. Unless you have something going on at home already (good job, school, family issues, etc) that you need to be there for why stay?....get out see the world and meet new people. I would give anything to be 17, 18, or 19 again and enlist active duty.

Thanks for your input Wookie, and Joseph. Im not really interested in the Airforce right now Wookie but thanks for for the advice maybe you could be a little more detailed on why i should look into the Airfoce?

I know what you're saying Joseph. ( If you join the reserves dont you go to Boot, then your MOS School a year later?) Im just worried that when/if i join the Corps i dont get the MOS i want and im stuck with a job i dislike. I think Airwing is another thing, now that i think of it, i think he said something along the lines of Aerial Observer. I just graduated high school and im pretty much living with my crazy father with my daily activities of visiting my convicted sisters and thats just what motivated me more to do something with my life.

I Definitely want to see the world and serve my country, I actually want to get deployed so i can experience the war first hand and help out anyway i can. maybe someone over their can come home and see their family while im taking over for them. They would definitely enjoy being home more then me. Just dont want to get stuck with something in the Aviation field i hate.. No disrespect to anyone in the Aviation field, its just that everyone has their different interests and agendas.

josephd
07-15-10, 12:55 AM
the only way you go to boot, then MCT a year later, then MOS school another year later is when you enlist in the 92 day reservist program. Any other type of contract you will spend some time on active duty while your at boot camp, MCT, and whatever MOS schooling you need.

Again my suggestion would be to just go active, just be sure to do your research and get the MOS field you want so your not a bitter disgruntled Marine for 4 years

brian0351
07-15-10, 01:29 AM
" i dont get the MOS i want and im stuck with a job i dislike."

You'll be a Marine first. That carries itself a hell of a long way. Don't like your job...do your two years, learn all you can. Then try to score MSG duty. Your life will never be the same after!

Yankeeloon200
07-15-10, 01:35 AM
" i dont get the MOS i want and im stuck with a job i dislike."

You'll be a Marine first. That carries itself a hell of a long way. Don't like your job...do your two years, learn all you can. Then try to score MSG duty. Your life will never be the same after!

Are you talking about guarding embassies? Sure sounds like fun! lol

usmcrro
07-15-10, 03:19 PM
I know what you're saying Joseph. ( If you join the reserves dont you go to Boot, then your MOS School a year later?) I

What you are implying in the question is the 92 day reserve option where you go to boot and you drill with you unit for 2 semesters before going to MCT/MOS school usually in the summer, come back, drill and go to school and go to MCT/MOS school for the summer. This is geared towards students especially those in the PLC program. For those in the PLC pgm they may or may not have to go through the exact pipeline depending on OCS training and how soon they get commissioned.

Regular reservists go through boot and MCT/ITB and/or MOS schools all at once. If you were a student, or planning to be one, you'll miss at least two-three semesters depending on the length of training. I recommend you doing this because you get all of your basic initial active duty training out of the way.

These are two options that reservists can do. See what works for you and have at it. Good luck.

AAV Crewchief
07-15-10, 04:25 PM
Hello Marines,

I was talking with a recruiter today about my interests and he said i would be great for Enlisted Aircrew (I think thats what it was called), I want to serve my country really badly and im so happy that i finally graduated high school and can fufull that dream of mine of earning that Eagle globe and anchor.

I was looking into the Pararescue program in the Airforce during my senior year while also looking at the Marines but it just looks to dang hard i think it has something like a 98% dropout rate right now so im looking at the Marines Aviation field.

Their the first to fight, and i love helping people and i want to be that guy that a pilot or Marine says "He saved my life/hes a Dam good *insert MOS here* and im kind of interested in mech/electrical stuff. I asked a Marine Recruiter at the local station over here and he said that would suit me really well (Something in Aircrew i forgot what MOS he suggested). So i took his advice and im sure that the Marines gave me the best impression on what i want to get out of the Military.

The thing is though that i cant decide between Active and Reserves and this isent really a decision that i can make without some advice so what better then this board? Im looking at Active obviously because's their no down time like the reserves, 4 years serving your country and no interruptions just go to boot, school, etc. But, the Reserves can offer you a Guaranteed MOS which is 1 of the MAJOR reasons why im leaning towards it, but i dont want to be going to school and boot camp every once a year, i think that would be a pain in the a**, including some friends saying that they can call on you to be activated whenever they want whatever you situation is with Family/College etc.. Its a 8 year contract so this is a really big commitment.

But also on top of Guaranteeing a job i like that i can go to college while their paying for it. It gives me the oppourtunity to go to college and get a degree if i decide not to make a Career out of the Marine Corps or any MOS of that matter.. Aircrew i know also dosent really give you skills when you EAS.

Basing on my interests, can some Marine here give me some advice! Even maybe from their personal experiences if they had the same difficulity deciding as i am? Im thinking about Reserves but Active Duty just seems like a smoother way to do things in the Corps. Thanks!

Did the Marine AD for a hitch, Marine Reserves, and now AF Reserves for the last 11 years (99 to present). My experience as a Marine has made the AF a piece of cake. Since the GWOT kicked off, I think you are pretty safe not deploying as much being Marine reserve, especially aircrew. I'm in an AF Reserve flying unit and we are still deploying once per year to unmentionable places with the whole of our unit just getting back in June and on tap for another trip same time, same place next year and for the same amount of days. Our deal is that so many people want to go, it's hard to get everyone a turn. All that being said, we are not a standard flying unit either (trash haulers) being that we fly MC-130 Es. Our job is specialized and we backfill for Hurlburt and Eglin units as tasked by AFSOC. There is a lot of work for us to do when we are tasked.

Anyhow, if you are about getting an education do the reserve thing. If education can wait go active and see the world(and the Post 9-11 GI Bill kicks major ass). I don't regret the hitch I spent as a tracker one bit. My Marine reserve time was spent with 3rd Force Recon Co in Mobile, Al and a tank unit in Tallahassee, Fl that no longer exists.

Good luck on your decision.

Yankeeloon200
07-15-10, 04:46 PM
Did the Marine AD for a hitch, Marine Reserves, and now AF Reserves for the last 11 years (99 to present). My experience as a Marine has made the AF a piece of cake. Since the GWOT kicked off, I think you are pretty safe not deploying as much being Marine reserve, especially aircrew. I'm in an AF Reserve flying unit and we are still deploying once per year to unmentionable places with the whole of our unit just getting back in June and on tap for another trip same time, same place next year and for the same amount of days. Our deal is that so many people want to go, it's hard to get everyone a turn. All that being said, we are not a standard flying unit either (trash haulers) being that we fly MC-130 Es. Our job is specialized and we backfill for Hurlburt and Eglin units as tasked by AFSOC. There is a lot of work for us to do when we are tasked.

Anyhow, if you are about getting an education do the reserve thing. If education can wait go active and see the world(and the Post 9-11 GI Bill kicks major ass). I don't regret the hitch I spent as a tracker one bit. My Marine reserve time was spent with 3rd Force Recon Co in Mobile, Al and a tank unit in Tallahassee, Fl that no longer exists.

Good luck on your decision.

Thanks for the advice, i got off the phone with my Marine Recruiter a few hours ago and i think he said im looking at 6199MOS which is EnlistedAircrew/Oserver Gunner. After talking with him and seeing the advice/ searching topics on this forum about Reserves/Active i think Active is the way to go since i dont have anything to stay for at home for, i want to travel, and i could go to college in 4 years anyway. and yes that 9/11 Post GI Bill kicks ass my Recruiter explained it to me.

My recruiter made me take the ASVAB earlier today also to see what kind of things im qualified for. i dont know how they graded it so quickly but when i left my recruiter said i got a 54. Dont know if thats good enough or not to be Aircrew right now I just hope if i go active that i get the MOS that i want. You know sometimes you could be doing something because its the "Needs of the Corps"

Just going to start studying now and hopefully improve my score to atleast 70 when i take it again in a month. Thanks for all your help Marines you guys are as helpful as a recruiter.

Yankeeloon200
07-15-10, 04:47 PM
What you are implying in the question is the 92 day reserve option where you go to boot and you drill with you unit for 2 semesters before going to MCT/MOS school usually in the summer, come back, drill and go to school and go to MCT/MOS school for the summer. This is geared towards students especially those in the PLC program. For those in the PLC pgm they may or may not have to go through the exact pipeline depending on OCS training and how soon they get commissioned.

Regular reservists go through boot and MCT/ITB and/or MOS schools all at once. If you were a student, or planning to be one, you'll miss at least two-three semesters depending on the length of training. I recommend you doing this because you get all of your basic initial active duty training out of the way.

These are two options that reservists can do. See what works for you and have at it. Good luck.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up but i think im going to go active after researching both. Thanks for the help.

brian0351
07-16-10, 01:24 AM
Are you talking about guarding embassies? Sure sounds like fun! lol

MSG Duty is the best assignment in the Marine Corps. Hands down. I did my 3 years and it was the best time of my life and I am not being sarcastic.

Yankeeloon200
07-16-10, 01:36 AM
MSG Duty is the best assignment in the Marine Corps. Hands down. I did my 3 years and it was the best time of my life and I am not being sarcastic.

Oh was it really? Why was it the best time of your life? I usually hear negative things about guarding duties

marharri
07-16-10, 01:54 AM
I am a corporal in the reserves. 0121 (admin) and i have trained in career planning. Your guaranteed MOS is based on the assumption that you graduate. If not, they can stick you wherever they want. (0311) Plan on graduating as most MOS schools aren't that hard. The problem you will run in to is that you want to do something specific, find that there is a unit nearby with that MOS, do the paperwork, initial training, and BAM. You arrive at your drill center, three years go by, and you've only started to touch on something you learned in MOS school. My advice is, if you want to actually do something, especially with something like aviation, you should go active duty. I was lucky and got deployed, but stationed at Camp Lejeune for state-side ops. I got a chance to work with active duty marines and got to do my MOS. Got back to my drill center afterwards and back to the same ole formation, classes, go to your section but don't touch anything from the I-I staff. Reserves works out for infantry, maybe comm and supply. Not much else in my 5 years of experience.

Yankeeloon200
07-16-10, 02:29 AM
I am a corporal in the reserves. 0121 (admin) and i have trained in career planning. Your guaranteed MOS is based on the assumption that you graduate. If not, they can stick you wherever they want. (0311) Plan on graduating as most MOS schools aren't that hard. The problem you will run in to is that you want to do something specific, find that there is a unit nearby with that MOS, do the paperwork, initial training, and BAM. You arrive at your drill center, three years go by, and you've only started to touch on something you learned in MOS school. My advice is, if you want to actually do something, especially with something like aviation, you should go active duty. I was lucky and got deployed, but stationed at Camp Lejeune for state-side ops. I got a chance to work with active duty marines and got to do my MOS. Got back to my drill center afterwards and back to the same ole formation, classes, go to your section but don't touch anything from the I-I staff. Reserves works out for infantry, maybe comm and supply. Not much else in my 5 years of experience.

Yea Thanks, ive decided that AD is the way im going to go. Also would i be able to request jump school? If im in Aircrew would i go their anyway? Or is it more for Recon/MARSOC Marines?

marharri
07-16-10, 02:50 AM
you will most likely get to ask for it as part of your reenlistment assuming you are a sgt by then. for now, assume no, and ask the minute you get there. half of the other PFCs will be asking and you'll get an answer of maybe to keep you motivated. you really can't do anything to help you get there so focus on the task they give you and maybe one day Forrest Gump's feather will land on you.

Yankeeloon200
07-16-10, 02:58 AM
you will most likely get to ask for it as part of your reenlistment assuming you are a sgt by then. for now, assume no, and ask the minute you get there. half of the other PFCs will be asking and you'll get an answer of maybe to keep you motivated. you really can't do anything to help you get there so focus on the task they give you and maybe one day Forrest Gump's feather will land on you.

Haha, thanks ill ask for it even if theirs a 1% chance of getting it. Im going to try to get this (AG) Contract thing for active duty, but i need to get a MM Score of 105 and its killing me right now...