PDA

View Full Version : Trouble getting enlisted!!!

sm32589g
07-14-10, 12:39 AM
Hi my name is Blake,

I have been trying to enlist for quite some time now. It started when i was 18 i wanted nothing else when i got out of high school other than to be a Marine. But my father disapproved. He told me to join the Army instead i said "Heck NO!" now i am 21 when i realized that i should have followed my dream and joined the Marines.

I decided to apply to the Army because of the bonuses, and after waiting 7 months my waiver was denied for mild hearing loss in my right ear only. But i refuse to accept that i cant be a soldier!! I have been involved in sports all my life i am in good shape and got 1's all across my physical at MEP's except for the hearing. I even have college credits.

I joined this site to see what your opinions may be on the matter, and what my chances are that i can get into the Marines even though my waiver was denied for the Army?

and thank you so much for any and all opinions!!

...never gives up!!

brian0351
07-14-10, 03:08 AM
The Army is more lenient in it's recruiting practices than the Marines. If you got rejected from the Army, more than likely you will be rejected from the Marines as well. Sorry.

Lisa 23
07-14-10, 07:58 AM
How about filling out all of your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions know who they are talking to....and you may also want to read the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums also.

We're not recruiters or doctors from MEPS. The only way you're going to find out is if you go talk with a recruiter face-to-face.

And check this thread out...

Headed To MEPS
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97270

Wyoming
07-14-10, 08:33 AM
No.

sm32589g
07-14-10, 10:31 AM
How about filling out all of your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions know who they are talking to....and you may also want to read the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums also.

We're not recruiters or doctors from MEPS. The only way you're going to find out is if you go talk with a recruiter face-to-face.

And check this thread out...

Headed To MEPS
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97270

sorry i had just signed up...i fixed my profile. :)

A Marine recruiter had contacted me 2 weeks ago and told me to come in to meet with him and ask a few questions. He talked with his commander and his commander told me to bring all of my medical documentations into him and he will grab my physical from LA MEP's and they are getting it transferred to San Diego MEP's.

I was really surprised because they called me when they said they were and they seem to be trying to get this through. The commander told me that its a waiting game now. Im pretty sure they havent sent in the waiver request yet. I have access to a doctor recommendation letter that i will be picking up tomorrow. Is there anything else i can do to increase my chances?

RPSmith
07-14-10, 04:12 PM
Chances are, it won't get approved. But it never hurts to try.
Just send in your medical records and doctor's recommendation, thats about all you should need.

Good luck to you, I hope everything works out for the best. You could always try another branch if it gets denied. Let us know how it goes!

Sgt Leprechaun
07-14-10, 06:08 PM
Hearing loss is one of those things that almost always results in a 'DQ'. Believe me, I've went through this due to my own hearing loss. I was lucky but barely was able to re-enlist into the Air Guard. Couldn't fly, which is what I wanted to do. Nonetheless, if they told you to submit the stuff, you might still have a chance. I would tell you honestly NOT to get your hopes up. Hopefully they'll let you re-test at MEPS. If they do, as I advised someone else, wear earplugs, stop listening to loud music and TV, and stop wearing earbuds. That might help. ]

Good luck!

Rocky C
07-14-10, 06:13 PM
Also, ask your Doctor. Could be as simple as ear wax removal in that right ear to get you through MEPS.

Good Luck!!!

Quinbo
07-14-10, 06:20 PM
Great point Rocky! My brother was rejected then had his ears cleaned and was accepted. Appearantly 5 pounds of ear wax makes it hard to hear ;)

Sgt Leprechaun
07-14-10, 06:23 PM
Great idea!!! I never would have thought of that.

sm32589g
07-14-10, 07:31 PM
haha ya i asked the doc and they said that my ears are perfectly clean unfortuneatly :/ my hearing loss isnt that bad at all didnt even know i had hearing loss. so hopefully the docs up in waiver heaven grant me a miracle! ill keep you guys posted as i find out more.

Lisa 23
07-14-10, 07:53 PM
ill keep you guys posted as i find out more.

How about Marines, not you guys.

brian0351
07-15-10, 01:22 AM
The hearing test can be tricky. Try to slow your breathing down as well, but not to a point where your heart starts to beat faster. Any kind of ambient noise makes it hard to hear those tones.

You got some good suggestions off this site. Try to take a "noise-free" sabbatical before your hearing test. Should allow your ears some time to repair any recent dmg.

sm32589g
07-17-10, 02:58 PM
I wish they would let me retake the hearing test that would be awesome. but I dont think that they can do that :/

Sgt Leprechaun
07-19-10, 06:23 PM
Why not?

sm32589g
07-19-10, 06:33 PM
oh because they already had me do the 1 at MEP's then a retake at MEP's and a consult. I was told I don't get anymore retakes. The times I took them I never prepared for it by cutting off music and other sounds. But if I were able to take it again I could pass.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-19-10, 06:49 PM
Ahh, got it. Well, that sucks to be sure. Sorry.

sm32589g
08-24-10, 05:37 AM
UPDATE:

Hey there Marines. So it has been more than a month since my recruiter sent in my waiver. I called him to find out where I stand. The recruiter says that "the waiver has made it through the first stage, and is onto the next stage of approval by the docs. 'No news is good news!"'

I'm not sure what this means but I will keep my head up hope and pray this gets approved!

sm32589g
10-10-10, 07:16 PM
UPDATE:

So I got a call on Friday form my recruiter saying that the doctors denied me even though I am at the PUHLES standards. Just wanted to keep you all posted. I still am not giving up however. I will wait until I can retake the physical and have another shot at it!

Sgt Leprechaun
10-11-10, 10:47 PM
Let us know. We'll start a new thread if/when that happens.

Wannabees...there you have it!!!