PDA

View Full Version : Combat Engineers in Hawaii?

OahuGrown808OG
07-13-10, 04:16 AM
Im currently in the DEP and i have choosen to be a combat engineer (1371). I currently live in Hawaii and I would like to be stationed here. I was wondering if its possible to be a combat engineer and be stationed at Kaneohe Marine Corps Base Hawaii. oh yea and im also going active duty. If anyone out there has any information about this it would be much appreciated thanks.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-13-10, 10:58 AM
Possible....but do NOT count on it. As mentioned in another post, you'll get the "Choice" of duty stations as follows:

East Coast, West Coast, Overseas.

Luck of the draw from there.

ZSKI
07-13-10, 12:44 PM
but after 2 years you can usually choose to transfer

OahuGrown808OG
07-14-10, 12:32 AM
I notice your signature has Infantry, Intel, Radio Operator were you able to change job after so many years? i think its called a lateral movement?

Sgt Leprechaun
07-14-10, 06:00 PM
Correct. I started as an 0311. Back in those days, nearing the end of your first enlistment, if your MOS was closed for promotion or had an overage, you could lateral move. I chose Intelligence. Did that, got out, did reserve time, eventually came back in on active duty...however, at the time the Marine Corps took rank and basically put you where they needed you....which was Field Radio Operator. So I did that for a couple of years (I didn't lose my old MOS's...) until I was able to get back into Intelligence.

Do NOT do this, BTW..LOL...because it's a hard road to travel I assure you.

OahuGrown808OG
07-14-10, 07:40 PM
alright i see. well thanks for all the help Sgt Leprechaun and Cpl ZSKI

dizark
07-14-10, 09:43 PM
I'm honestly not even sure if we have combat engineers in Hawaii. We're using Combat Engineers from Okinawa for our deployment here.

Anyways, there's a Marine in my comm shop that is from Hawaii and was lucky enough to be stationed in Hawaii as well. Luck of the draw I guess.