PDA

View Full Version : contract question at meps

r0bb
07-12-10, 10:26 PM
hello guys, i am new to this site but did some researching on my question before posting but cannot get a straight answer. i am in the process of enlisting for the marine corps, i took my asvab and got an 80. and am going to meps for physical next week. my question is what contract will i be given to sign that day of the physical at meps? i am doing delayed entry but have heard you must sign an 'open contract' after completing your day at meps and swearing it, at the same time i am hearing signing an open contract is a very risky thing and not a good idea to do so. so can someone please inform me on what i should expect? by the way i am going active duty. sorry if this question was answered already. thanks.

josephd
07-12-10, 10:40 PM
you will be signing the contract that will be dictating the next 4-5 years of your life. You do not have to sign an open contract if that is not what you want. Yes, signing an open contract can be very risky because you may end up with an MOS that you absolutely want no part of. You need to talk with your recruiter and tell him what you want exactly and don't sign your name on anything before reading it and knowing it is exactly what you want.

r0bb
07-12-10, 10:57 PM
you will be signing the contract that will be dictating the next 4-5 years of your life. You do not have to sign an open contract if that is not what you want. Yes, signing an open contract can be very risky because you may end up with an MOS that you absolutely want no part of. You need to talk with your recruiter and tell him what you want exactly and don't sign your name on anything before reading it and knowing it is exactly what you want.

so not signing the open contract is an option and i can swear in at the same time? correct?

josephd
07-12-10, 11:25 PM
so not signing the open contract is an option and i can swear in at the same time? correct?

no i don't believe you can swear in until you sign a contract, your official swear in isn't until the day you ship out for boot camp. The swear in you do at MEPs the day of your physical is just to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I am just warning you to not sign anything until you know exactly what your signing and your getting what you want. An open contract might be your only option but be sure this is the case. It seems to me you have some talking to do with your recruiter.

r0bb
07-12-10, 11:50 PM
no i don't believe you can swear in until you sign a contract, your official swear in isn't until the day you ship out for boot camp. The swear in you do at MEPs the day of your physical is just to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I am just warning you to not sign anything until you know exactly what your signing and your getting what you want. An open contract might be your only option but be sure this is the case. It seems to me you have some talking to do with your recruiter.

thank you for your help and yes i do

Lisa 23
07-13-10, 07:28 AM
It's Marines, not guys, and when using the word Marine Corps, it will be capitalized at all times. You may also want to familiarize yourself with the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums too.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-13-10, 10:59 AM
Closed until I see a completed profile. And deleted for fail to follow simple instructions. Will be reinstated if profile completed. Otherwise, gone.