PDA

View Full Version : Insurance for Reservist and Forum Status

LoveOfCountry
07-12-10, 12:51 AM
I've been in the Marine Corps for about 9 months now and I am trying to find someone that knows how the insurance works once I come off of active duty (for reservists).

My unit isn't very knowledgeable about it and I am getting the run-around. When I call Dears (or DEERS) they just say check with my unit. I want to continue with the military insurance that I have and just pay for it.

Any help on this would be outstanding.

Also, I have sent several messages trying to get my status changed on here to Marine and... no luck. Any ideas?

josephd
07-12-10, 12:55 AM
yes you can keep Tri-Care insurance, it will not be Tri-Care Prime like you get on AD but its something. It runs right around $50/month. When you check into your unit get with your Admin. office and/or your head corpsman/chief, they will let you know what you have to do.

PM a moderator and they can change your status

LoveOfCountry
07-12-10, 01:02 AM
Good to go. I have only met one Sgt. from my unit and he wasn't sure how to do it because he was using his own insurance. Maybe another Marine will know when I go up for my first drill.

Thanks.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-13-10, 10:49 AM
As long as you are still in the reserves, and NOT a federal gov't employee, you can keep the insurance you have. It's basically United Healthcare, and not a bad plan as I understand it. The cost will be dependant if it's either just 'you', or the family plan.