PDA

View Full Version : Boot camp and family

pmvdh
07-11-10, 10:45 PM
I am currently in the DEP and my ship date is set for Aug. 23rd. I just got my MOS changed but my request for a ship date move was denied. My wife is pregnant and is due on Sep 6th. My question to you Marines is will I, being in boot camp, be able to recieve a phone call from my wife telling me that my son has been born? Or will I just have to wait for a letter and picture to come in the mail for me? Thank you for your time.

Peter

CQB0316
07-11-10, 10:49 PM
They denied moving your ship date even though you told them it was due to your son being born? Id tell your recruiter to pound sand altogether. But thats just me. Im not really sure if they would give you time for a phone call, you would probably just have to wait for the letter.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-11-10, 11:31 PM
Normally, I'm of the 'suckit up' mentality....but in this case, I'm with CQB, above. This is one I'd likely fight as well. Tell the recruiter you cannot and will not ship prior to your child being born.

It's going to be difficult but this is one of those things that you SHOULD be there for. You'll be gone enough, I promise.

Quinbo
07-11-10, 11:49 PM
Track down a red cross contact before shipping. A red cross message will indeed score you a phone call and maybe more calls. After that continue to march. Your drill instructers are some mean SOB's but are also human. If (hopefully not) something goes wrong you'll be granted emergency leave. I don't even want to jinx you on this. I can't even name the number of Marines I've known that had children born while deployed or on a training op. That is just the way it goes.
There is no burger king "I want a coke hold the cup" or "I want a cheesburger hold the bun".

Just roll with it. MOS and ship date might completely disappear. I'm only saying all this because I have 3 outstanding children that I was not present for any of their births. All turned out fine.

pmvdh
07-12-10, 07:35 AM
My recruiter told me that he would keep trying to move the date, but what else can he do? He already sent in one request, can he send in another?

And I totally agree with you Sgt Leprechaun, this is one moment that I would not want to miss. But if I am sent before my son is born I will just have to "suckit up" and keep marching.
Thank you.
Respectfully,
Peter

Wyoming
07-12-10, 08:06 AM
My recruiter told me that he would keep trying to move the date, but what else can he do? He already sent in one request, can he send in another?

And I totally agree with you Sgt Leprechaun, this is one moment that I would not want to miss. But if I am sent before my son is born I will just have to "suckit up" and keep marching.
Thank you.
Respectfully,
Peter

Can he send in another?

Well how else would he handle it without sending in another?

foxman
07-12-10, 08:38 AM
Red Cross found me at Khe Sahn to tell me my first son was born. Surely they can find you in Boot Camp. By the way, He became a Marine also. Good Luck and God's Speed.