PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Doctor Hangs American Flag Upside Down

Komenko
07-11-10, 08:36 PM
It's a sign of disrespect to veterans, service members and anyone who's patriotic -- an American flag flown upside-down. Why would someone fly Old Glory upside down, especially during the Fourth of July holiday? It's the work of a Downriver, Mich., eye doctor, MyFoxDetroit.com reported.

It certainly caught people's eyes. An American flag flying upside down in front of Dr. Thomas Byrd's office over the Fourth of July weekend. The eye doctor says he did it when he asked himself some questions.

"What's the state of our nation at this time? And I thought that she's in distress. So, I thought I would flip the flag in the long-standing sign of distress," said Byrd. "And by inverting the flag I would perhaps get a few people to ask themselves maybe the same question. How is the Constitution doing? How is my liberty? How is my freedom compared to a few years ago?"

Dr. Byrd says flying the flag upside down was never intended to be disrespectful. He simply wanted to get people's attention, MyFoxDetroit reported.

"A lot of people misunderstood and somehow thought I had some beef with the United States or that I... disrespected the flag or the country, and that couldn't be further from the truth," Byrd said.

The U.S. Flag code says the flag should only be flown upside down as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life and property.

"We are certainly in dire danger of property. There's a great deal of property being taken from people right now, but it's not the intent that we are in dire and immediate need that we're being overrun," said Byrd.

Dr. Bryd says he's a Conservative who respects the Constitution and he did find some of former President George W. Bush's approaches to Constitutional issues troubling. Some Conservative and Libertarian groups, such as the Cato Institute, found Bush's record sharply at odds with the text, history and structure of the Constitution. But those days did not inspire Dr. Byrd to flip the flag.

We asked Byrd who is a greater threat to the Constitution, George W. Bush or Barack Obama? He answered, "I think the Obama administration, by far."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/10/michigan-doctor-hangs-american-flag-upside/#content

I can truely understand his position. but to say "It's a sign of disrespect to veterans, service members and anyone who's patriotic" is stupid. Every Veteran should know what it means to see "Old Glory" flown upside down. To think otherwise, you might want to learn the symbolic nature about why its flown that way! Those who burn the American Flag in protest, I believe is disrespectful!

For the Eye Doctor I say good on him. Glad to know that he knew what it ment to fly it that way!

josephd
07-11-10, 08:47 PM
As long as he is educated (which it seems he is) about doing it and what it means I'm alright with it. If it was some Berkeley hippie then I'd be f'n livid