PDA

View Full Version : married while active duty

want2bethefew
07-10-10, 10:46 AM
Talked to a recruiter and will be joining after my bankruptcy is finished. I'm so pumped! I had a thread a while ago in here asking about joining after filing bankruptcy and it turns out that it's not an issue. I can even get a secret security clearance as well.

Anyways, my question to Marines that are married is what can I do to protect myself if the marriage goes sour? I'm not having any doubts or cold feet getting into this, but I'm just being realistic about this. Divorce rate is high for civilians and even higher in the military. We are not married yet, but will be before I enlist. We are in no way rushing this fyi, just have been trying to save up for a nice wedding, but I'm not getting any younger (24) and I want to join as soon as I can so we will get married in a courthouse if that's what it comes down to.

I will be getting a prenup agreement, but is there anything I can do to cover my ass so I don't get screwed over in any way? We have a baby too by the way. Any advice that has experience with this or know of any information give me? Thank you Marines!

CQB0316
07-10-10, 11:18 AM
Let me get this straight. You just got done filing for bankruptcy and your worried about this girl marrying you for money? Your 24, have a bankruptcy on your record and your going into the Military. It doesnt look like she has any potential for monetary gain from you what-so-ever.

want2bethefew
07-10-10, 11:32 AM
I'm not worried about her marrying me for my money (which isn't much), but I'll be the only one making money and I don't want to get screwed and her take what I have. Which is a nice car, tv, bed and some other stuff I paid cash for that would not be included in the bankruptcy. I just want to take all the precautions in case she becomes sleezy while I'm away. I wouldn't want her to see a penny from me.

CQB0316
07-10-10, 11:37 AM
Get a pre nup and dont get a joint bank account.

want2bethefew
07-10-10, 11:40 AM
Thank you Marine! For your time and service.

Lynn2
07-10-10, 11:44 AM
Bankruptcy, E-2, baby on the way, new marriage, very lukewarm about the marriage prospects even before tying the knot, one income, lots of deployments?

I wish all 3 of you the best but your post says it all

I'd start saving for that lawyer right now.

Capital M
07-10-10, 11:51 AM
Whats funny is he's a mortgage default consultant, and he's filing for bankruptcy. I find that kind of ironic

want2bethefew
07-10-10, 11:56 AM
Baby is already here. Been together for 5 years and she's fully supportive and aware of the military life as her father served until she was 12 years old and her brothers are currently serving as well. I guess this is a good way to test our relationship, not going to lie to myself, it's risky, but a risk we are willing to take. This is something we both want.

want2bethefew
07-10-10, 12:03 PM
Whats funny is he's a mortgage default consultant, and he's filing for bankruptcy. I find that kind of ironic

Whats even better is the company I work for I owe money to. I guess it's really not funny, but I have to just laugh about it to get by.

Zulu 36
07-10-10, 02:09 PM
Does your recruiter know you have two dependents? Or will have two; you already have one (the baby). He will not be amused if you haven't told him.

Also, in a divorce with a pre-nup, make sure it has a no alimony clause. Don't bother with a no-child support clause because no judge in this country will recognize it as valid. They may not even go with the no-alimony clause depending on the state and circumstances.

If you are going to go through with this, I'd have a cheap and quick wedding and save the rest of the cash for her expenses while you are in boot camp.

I always advise people not to get married while in the Corps until you have at least made Sergeant.

Lynn2
07-10-10, 02:19 PM
Future Marine or not I do not give a flying darn.

If the first thing you are asking on a forum like this....even before you are married to the mother of your child....is how to make sure that when the marriage goes south you come out on top.

Then I hope she has a good lawyer that can make sure that when it happens, and no doubt it will, she ends up owning you.

Thank god none of my daughters ended up with a loser like you.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-10-10, 05:57 PM
Closed before this goes any further SOUTH than it already has. What in the HELL does a PFC with barely a seabag issue to his/her name NEED with a frakkin Pre-nup???

What's she going to get, your used socks?

Come on.