PDA

View Full Version : Getting a permanent duty station?

dm4yn3
07-10-10, 01:59 AM
Hey,
I'm in the DEP and scheduled to leave the 16th of Aug. I was wondering if anyone knows if getting a permanent duty station is picked. I heard that you get to pick east or west coast and they'll select your PDS after SOI (my MOS is 03) I also heard you select 3 stations and they'll select one of the three.
Can anyone clarify?
Also, what are the chances of getting 29 palms as a permanent duty station? I'd really really love to be stationed there, my best friend who I grew up is stationed there, but he's communications.
Any overall information would help!
:usmc:

Quinbo
07-10-10, 02:08 AM
Almost entirely random. example: Everyone whose last name starts with Y is going to cuba ... everyone whose SSN ends in 3 is going to Hawaii .... everyone whose middle name is fred is going to first Marines. You can wish all you want but your duty station will be a suprise. Some personell chief somewhere will be looking at a manning table hmmm 3/8 needs 30 new boots .... ok take the top 30 from the list next. LOL

CQB0316
07-10-10, 02:22 AM
Hey,
I'm in the DEP and scheduled to leave the 16th of Aug. I was wondering if anyone knows if getting a permanent duty station is picked. I heard that you get to pick east or west coast and they'll select your PDS after SOI (my MOS is 03) I also heard you select 3 stations and they'll select one of the three.
Can anyone clarify?
Also, what are the chances of getting 29 palms as a permanent duty station? I'd really really love to be stationed there, my best friend who I grew up is stationed there, but he's communications.

YOU DO NOT WANT 29 PALMS AS A PERMANENT DUTY STATION. Unless you have no social skills what so ever and love being surrounded by people who belong in " The hills have eyes".

dm4yn3
07-10-10, 02:28 AM
Haha well that sucks. Oh well. I really hope I don't get cuba... That sound's terrible. Hawaii sound's nice. This is kinda off topic but have any idea if the Marines in the Silent Drill Platoon are different M.O.S.? I know they're hand selected but would that mean someone would have to recommend the person or would they tryout for it?

dm4yn3
07-10-10, 02:29 AM
Hahaha, really? I've been there before it seemed not so bad. Didn't know that the people all were THAT creepy. Now I'm second guessing it all. Guess the random selection makes things easy. Haha keeps me from having to worry about it.

josephd
07-10-10, 02:34 AM
Haha well that sucks. Oh well. I really hope I don't get cuba... That sound's terrible. Hawaii sound's nice. This is kinda off topic but have any idea if the Marines in the Silent Drill Platoon are different M.O.S.? I know they're hand selected but would that mean someone would have to recommend the person or would they tryout for it?

all silent drill Marines are infantry, they are selected out of SOI/ITB. You have to look the part more than anything to be selected for 8th and I

Dragonscript
07-10-10, 04:12 PM
Hey,
Can anyone clarify?

When we say East coast, West coast or overseas, we aren't joking. Those are your three choices, that's it. You don't get to pick the exact duty station you want the first time round.

SGT7477
07-10-10, 05:55 PM
YOU DO NOT WANT 29 PALMS AS A PERMANENT DUTY STATION. Unless you have no social skills what so ever and love being surrounded by people who belong in " The hills have eyes".
Lol, good one Marine I was there for 6 months.:D

Sgt Leprechaun
07-10-10, 05:58 PM
And there you have it. East, West, Overseas. THOSE are your choices.

DrZ
07-10-10, 06:06 PM
On every fitness report.... I selected three places I wanted to be stationed. When I re-enlisted for my 2nd tour... I selected three places I wanted to be stationed. What it boiled down to...is my suggested bases were never selected and I was put on the east coast, west coast, or overseas.

So...the Marines who answered your question did so properly and correctly.

Danny C Smith
07-10-10, 06:31 PM
Lol, good one Marine I was there for 6 months.:D

I was there for my entire enlistement.
Hated the place with a bloody freaking passion.
Loved going to Pendleton and wherever else they would send us
out of that sand trap. Anything please!

That was a long time ago and now I think of visiting The Stumps
every day of my life.
It's on my bucket list. Along with Pattaya:thumbup:

karlv65
07-12-10, 03:53 AM
When we say East coast, West coast or overseas, we aren't joking. Those are your three choices, that's it. You don't get to pick the exact duty station you want the first time round.

LOL Cpl, I said West I went way West , Okinawa and half my class came with me. Yes and the ones who said they wanted overseas well they were stationed at the west coast and some went east. That is just the way the dice rolled I guess.:D