PDA

View Full Version : air wing mos's

tdwendt
07-09-10, 10:23 PM
I know there's the mos listing on this site and my recuiter has them also. But its just a generic description of the jobs. I meet an active duty Marine the other day and I explained that I'm in the process of enlistment for the reserves, and was most interested in the air wing side of the Corps( he just happened to be air wing), and told me to check out cass technician because that is where the Marines are focased right now. I personally like mech stuff and can take anythng apart and put it back togather, but also am very intersted in the tech stuff. I would really like to learn to work on jet engines and helicopters( I know hoe to work on cars and it kind of boring) figured if I could learn jet engines I could get a decent job after the Corps. He said that cass tech is a mix of all of it. Is this true? Do they have this in the reserves? Any other jobs you suggest?

Thank you.

thezero
07-10-10, 02:47 AM
Never heard of a cass tech, and don't remember that being a description of any of the school houses in Pensacola which is where just about all of aviation goes to. You have your avionics which works on the computers and electrical side of the bird then you have us mechs which will ensure it will fly and maintain the aircraft. And in order to have a mix of it all I believe you have to cross train (allows you to be qualified on working on other parts outside of your PMOS) once you are outside of school and in the fleet.

But of course I could be wrong about the cass tech thing all together... I have just never heard of that and havent seen it in the MOS listings.

tdwendt
07-10-10, 02:42 PM
Mos #6467. Its actually a computer tech job from what I understand dealing with weapons systems on the aircraft, but he said that the Marines that have that mos do a mix of everything where is stationed.

WXSgt
07-10-10, 03:21 PM
If you want mechanics go for a powerplant job i myself was a 6227 which did complete overhauls of the f-18 engines. i loved the job promotions arent great though. cass from the guys that i worked with isnt mechanics so much as it is electrician

tdwendt
07-10-10, 05:20 PM
Does that job do electrical troubleshooting also? I'm looking for a job where I can learn both sides of air wing from mechanical to computer systems, and such...is it easlily availiable to get cross tained?
Than you for you responses so far

WXSgt
07-11-10, 06:45 PM
My job a little we use good say cables to see if its a computer bad or vice versa not taking apart the electronics to see what's wrong. They are 2 separate sides. If you did squadron work on aircraft you'd get a little of everything if u went to mals you only do your area

tdwendt
07-12-10, 05:55 PM
Thanks WXsgt. Ill have to wait and see what is available in the reserves once my recruiter get back to me. I've left 3 or 4 messages for him on his phone in the past couple of days to set up another meeting. Next step will be driving to the recruiting station half way across town and hopping he's there.

blackup
07-12-10, 09:22 PM
I was a 6467 CASS tech.

It's a very technical job, plain and simple.

You'll go to AVI school in Pensacola, and hope to get intermediate level maintenance, and pray to get CASS school in either Miramar or Virginia Beach upon graduation. There is no way to guarantee this position. Your contract covers all sorts of jobs. You could end up being an O level tech spending a good part of your saturday on a 120 degree flight line in Yuma, you could solder wires in a nice AC van in Beaufort, or become an alcoholic for the rest of your enlistment as a radar tech in Miramar.

School is long, promotions are fairly standard for now, deployment schedule is so and so. You will seldom deploy with your friends from the shop. Nobody really cares about your PFT, MCIs, uniforms, or rank. You either contribute to fixing **** and reducing the work load or you get FAPd out to wave colonels through the front gate or become a rifle range coach (which is pretty sweet actually).

Is this really something you want to do?

tdwendt
07-12-10, 10:48 PM
Not exactly sure but I was recommended to look in to it by an AD Marine that was on leave here at home. I want something that I can learn the most from and will allow me to progress in the Marines, and it seems interesting from the vague description that I read, there probably isn't a cass tech mos for the reserves so I don't know. Still waiting on a return phone call.

tdwendt
07-12-10, 10:52 PM
As long as its not the same thing day in and day out like it is with working on cars and I can expand my ok nowledge and I will benifit my unit and the rest of the Marines.

WXSgt
07-13-10, 10:04 AM
my job was AD school house in pensacola unless your talking bout the AD contract option lol

blackup
07-13-10, 10:51 PM
Not exactly sure but I was recommended to look in to it by an AD Marine that was on leave here at home. I want something that I can learn the most from and will allow me to progress in the Marines, and it seems interesting from the vague description that I read, there probably isn't a cass tech mos for the reserves so I don't know. Still waiting on a return phone call.

There are reserve CASS techs out there. :thumbup:

tdwendt
08-25-10, 10:31 PM
Thanks Everyone! Unfortunatly my recuiter went AwOL on me, quit calling or responding to my messages, so I have moved on. The other recuiter told me they wernt taking anymore for the reserves. I have since talked to the Army National Guard and am waiting to swear in for 15d helicopter mechanic.(waiver) I may not be becoming a Marine but I do and always will hold the higest respect for you all, hopefully someday I will make it to PI, once I'm out of contract with the Guard.

God speed and good luck. You have a great friend in me.! I will check in from time to time.