PDA

View Full Version : Question if enlistment is a possibility for me...

Bandit400
07-09-10, 08:56 PM
Hello all! As this is my first post, allow me to introduce myself. I am a 25 year old auto dealer shop manager. I have wanted to be a Marine since I was a teenager. I have had college and (still have) a great career, and I assumed the desire to serve would fade away as I got older. To put it shortly, it has not. :-) I finally realized that if I turned 29 having not enlisted, I would have a lifetime of regret to deal with. I did my research, and spoke to a recruiter. I have hit a snag. During our discussions and subsequent paperwork, it was brought up that I had talked to a doctor regarding a short bout of depression I had experienced. The entire time lasted maybe 2 months (tops). I had taken Paxil during this time. (again only 1 1/2 to 2 months). The doctor had cleared me and stated that it was gone, and not necessary to see her any more. The recruiter stated that if I admitted it on the paperwork, it would be a pretty much guaranteed DQ. I was deflated, to say the absolute least.

I have done my research here and on other sites, and it seems that the military standard reads that it is only disqualifying if you were court ordered, or if you were in the doctor's care for more than 6 months (amongst other things). I was not. I have led a perfectly clean moral and legal life, and would hate to see a dream slip away over something like this. It has not been a year yet since I was off the meds. Would it be worth it to submit paperwork and try MEPS? Would I fail off the bat? Assuming that I waited the year since the medication, would it be smart to try again? Would a waiver be applicable or possible in either situation? Please note that there has never been any of these issues before or since. Am i pretty much boned or do I have a chance?

I am also aware of people who say to "omit" this information. While some may support it, I have high standards for myself and those I would serve with. I could not see starting a career such as this with a lie, not to mention the legal consequences. Kinda seems at odds with Corps values as well. If you guys could offer your opinions, I would greatly appreciate any time you could give me.

To those serving and those who have served: Thank You!!!

Lisa 23
07-09-10, 08:59 PM
Medical Waivers...READ THIS FIRST

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97158

tdrt
07-10-10, 12:11 AM
My advice: wait out the full year and try again. Never lose sight of a dream or give up hope so easy.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-10-10, 05:53 PM
Bingo. Closed