PDA

View Full Version : 507th weapon records gone

firstsgtmike
09-17-03, 08:35 PM
Laura Cruz
El Paso Times

The U.S. Army on Tuesday revealed that all records and documents about the weapons that jammed during the March 23 ambush that led to the death of nine Fort Bliss soldiers were destroyed in the Iraqi attack and that there is no way to trace the weapons' histories.

The Army, responding to an El Paso Times request under the Freedom of Information Act, said any official information about the weapons used by Fort Bliss' 507th Maintenance Company was lost on a supply truck taken into combat.

An official report on the ambush near Nasiriyah said that several weapons, including M-16s, M249 Squad Automatic Weapons and a .50-caliber machine gun, jammed or failed to operate properly during the firefight.

The disclosure that the records were lost shocked, bewildered and further angered relatives of soldiers who were killed in the early morning ambush, which is among the worst losses for the U.S. military during Operation Iraqi Freedom. In addition to the nine Fort Bliss soldiers killed, two from the 3rd Forward Support Battalion were killed, five soldiers were wounded, and seven soldiers were taken prisoner.

"Capt. Troy King (507th commander) stated that he does not have any historical data on weapons involved in the enemy contact," June Bates, Fort Bliss freedom of information officer, said in a written response. "He lost his motorpool truck and all documentation."

Bates said King's records, which were kept in the motor pool, were stored in his supply truck, which was also "involved in the enemy contact."

The official 507th report, which was released by the Army on July 17, suggests that the "malfunctions may have resulted from inadequate individual maintenance in a desert environment."

Nancili Mata, the widow of Chief Warrant Officer 2 Johnny Villareal Mata, who was killed in the ambush, said she was shocked to learn that no duplicate records were kept on the weapons.

"They should have copies here. It doesn't sound right," she said. "They are blaming the soldiers for not keeping their weapons clean, but my husband knew better than that. He did everything right."

Arlene Walters, mother of Sgt. Donald R. Walters, who died in the attack and would have celebrated his 34th birthday Tuesday, said her son was dedicated to his job and to details. She said she finds it hard to believe that her son's weapon wasn't kept clean.

"He kept his guns as clean as can be," she said. "He even talked to his dad about it."

Because the circumstances surrounding the death of Walters are unclear, his parents continue to ask questions about anything involving their son, including the history of his weapon.

"Nothing surprises me anymore, but what I don't understand is why would you carry that kind of information into a battlefield," Arlene Walters asked. "It seems to me that if those weapons were issued out at Fort Bliss, then the records should have stayed at Fort Bliss."

Ruben Estrella, father of 18-year-old Pvt. Ruben Estrella-Soto, from El Paso, said he no longer believes anything the Army tells him.

"They told me that my son was shot in the head, and now they are saying that he was struck by a tank," he said. "I think the Army or the government is hiding something, but sooner or later the truth will be told."

Fort Bliss responds

The El Paso Times had requested the history of 31 weapons the soldiers carried during the ambush. The request sought information about weapon repairs, the weapons' ages, and the manufacturer and condition of each weapon assigned to the 507th soldiers involved in the attack.

Officials at the Department of Defense referred all questions to Fort Bliss officials.

Jean Offutt, Fort Bliss spokeswoman, said that taking all data regarding a company's weapons into battle is standard practice.

"When we deployed, all our active-duty soldiers had to take their documents with them because we mobilized a lot of reservists who lived in the emptied barracks," Offutt said. "So all of their personnel files as well as files on weapons were taken with them."

Because personnel files were lost in the ambush and no duplicates exist, the 507th is now trying to re-create the information. Also, Offutt said, some of the weapons the 507th used haven't been recovered.

"But shortly before the soldiers deployed, all of the weapons were certified and serviceable," Offutt said. "The weapons were fired on the firing range before they deployed."

Official answers

Retired Lt. Gen. Don Lionetti, the commander who led Fort Bliss during the 1991 Persian Gulf war, said he could not speculate on what Fort Bliss soldiers do or don't take into combat, but he said if the records are "in-country, I imagine that they would have to take the records with them."

"Once they leave Kuwait to go into Iraq they may not come back through Kuwait, so they have to take the information with them," Lionetti said.

U.S. Rep. Silvestre Reyes, D-El Paso, who called for a congressional hearing in March to determine what happened during the attack, said he believes Fort Bliss' response is logical.

"The Army wouldn't lie, especially when a Freedom of Information Act request is made," he said.

greensideout
09-17-03, 09:25 PM
This is a full load in a can of worms!

Where do you start?

If poor training was involved as in," to clean your weapon spray gum-it-up". If so, I'm sure it did.

With all the heat there we know that the rifle chamber dim. reduced and the ammo size increased. This could result in failure to feed or extract. Ie., a jammed weapon. We all know the history of the weapons involved---always in question. There are much better weapons out there. The H&K for example, has a fluted chamber to overcome the heat and sand conditions. A weapon of choice for that location, or any other.

Records? I don't have a clue what the correct procedure would be. Maybe an Admin Marine could help us all understand that part of it.

As I said before, this is one big can of worms!

firstsgtmike
09-18-03, 03:58 AM
GSO,

Before I retired in '78, I was 1stSgt of the active duty cadre of Marines at a Marine Reserve Unit.

Not my job, not my business, but I reviewed the Embarkation Plan and Orders in the event the unit was activated and had to mount out.

It looked good on paper, but colored toilet paper also adds class to a four holer.

I identified and verified twenty-two major faulty assumptions, even though many were covered by Memorandums of Agreement with civilian facilities.

Flatbed railcars papered for 48 hour availability would require two to three weeks advance notice.

8x8 Chock-blocks, also papered with 48 hour delivery, would take a minimum of three weeks, depending upon the season.

Required radio communications would require outside support, and include radio relay facilities which no one had considered.

etc. etc. etc.

I submitted my data to the CO, who endorsed it and sent it up to Wing HQ in New Orleans.

I don't know what happened after that. I'm just glad they were never mobilized.