PDA

View Full Version : New FMF Corpsman

Quinbo
07-08-10, 11:36 AM
My wife stays in contact with some of her squidly friends through facebook. One of her friends (female) just graduated 8404 school and is stationed at some logists base now with the Marines. She posted some pictures of her and a group of Marines wearing desert digis. She also got the fmf pin.

I'm posting this for a couple reasons. First off I argued with a sailor on this forum about who gets or rates the pin. He had done his entire enlistment at bridgeport. I contended that is not the FMF so sorry no pin. Appearantly I was wrong.

Second reason is that I had no idea that women could be FMF corpsman so that came as suprise.

I've been schooled.

DanM
07-08-10, 12:13 PM
You were in the right about about the requirement for the FMF pin in the other thread.

I believe that the FMF pin can be awarded at the completion of FMTB,but you really need to bust your balls to get it during training and few do.

Females have been completing FMTB training for some time now,but like female Marines are not officially assigned to combat operations. See link.

http://www.corpsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51850

doc h fmf
07-08-10, 01:54 PM
What About Us Old Timers That Are Already Out With The Ribbon Do We Rate The Pin

DanM
07-08-10, 02:02 PM
What About Us Old Timers That Are Already Out With The Ribbon Do We Rate The Pin

No you don't rate the pin.

doc h fmf
07-08-10, 05:50 PM
Thank You Dan.

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

DanM
07-08-10, 06:13 PM
Many Corpsman think this should be "their" award.It is availible to those of the other branches of the military who meet the requirements and servre with the FMF.

http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives/01000%20Military%20Personnel%20Support/01-400%20Promotion%20and%20Advancement%20Programs/1414.4B.pdf

DocGreek
07-08-10, 11:43 PM
:evilgrin:.....Pins are for securing diapers, and popping blood blisters!! besides......who gives a FVCK??....:evilgrin:

Vandrel
07-08-10, 11:46 PM
I wouldn't mind a female doc riding along in the back of my AAV :D

DrZ
07-09-10, 08:25 AM
To me.... a Doc is a Doc is a Doc. Male, Female, Pin, No Pin. Doesn't make any difference as long as one is there when needed.

To all the Docs out there.... a HUGE Semper Fi from this old Marine.

kenrobg30
07-09-10, 01:34 PM
Understood, DOC !! S/F!! Ken

doc h fmf
07-10-10, 03:24 AM
yeah your right john who gives a fluck. I EARNED MY FMF RIBBON AND THAT MEANS MORE TO ME THAN THE PIN .

SEMPER FI TO ALL MY BROTHERS

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

Wyoming
07-10-10, 09:13 AM
To me.... a Doc is a Doc is a Doc. Male, Female, Pin, No Pin. Doesn't make any difference as long as one is there when needed.

To all the Docs out there.... a HUGE Semper Fi from this old Marine.

Amen and Semper Fidelis from this Marine.

Our Docs that wore green, seemingly never spent a dime in the clubs in the RVN and THEY were the only ones to use the term Semper Fidelis.

FistFu68
07-10-10, 10:09 AM
:iwo:The times they are a Changing...now I would feel very comfortable with a Female Devil Doc...gives a new meaning too the term"PECKER CHECKER" :D :usmc:

Vandrel
07-10-10, 10:55 AM
The times they are a Changing...now I would feel very comfortable with a Female Devil Doc...gives a new meaning too the term"PECKER CHECKER"

I like the way you think

I'd be up at BAS more often if that was the case :banana:

HM3 Doc Wilder
07-24-10, 05:29 AM
I'd rather be Corpsman than a Nurse-In Nam you learn by on the job training.I learned how to put in a chest-tube-by helping Dr.Merjavy-treat a spontaneous-pneumothorax.This is what is done-DocGreek is right -Corpsman do trauma-vascular-surgery.Stop that bleeding-Get that blood pressure-up-Treat for shock and restore that respiration.Boom-boom- boom- boom-that's the speed you have to work at or your patient will die.I think that better vascular-repair training should be taught in Hospital Corps School.I don't remember being taught anything about this . Certainly this is the most important-thing in preventing death.I was taught to use clamps on every-blood vessel-you could clamp.I don't remember where I learned this.It wasn't in Hospital Corpsman School.Same with the precardial-Thump to restore a good rhythm -when there is arrest.Here's my beef .Army Medics-get college credits-I don't know how many-just because-they went through -Fort Sam Houston-This is used to be a Pa or Physician.Corpsman don't get these college credits Now there are Corpsman that did become Doctors-I know this.They are great and God Bless Em.Sucking Chest Wounds-That's the only thing I remember being taught.Use a plastic wrap to make a seal-this to will bring the BP -up.No-SH*T.I did a Brain Ct-on a Army Medic-He was in these Wheel-Chair-Games...feel out of his wc-and hit his head.He opted to extend his time in Nam.He made his first tour,and was on his second when he got hit.This man,this Army Medic,This Brave Black Man-lost the lower half of his body-I mean Everything.He had a Colostomy and a urine bag hanging-and he was muscular and had a beautiful-head.He's A winner-and uses everything he has left.I Hugged him-and told him he was my hero.Now that's a Man-who survived all odds.Who worked on him and saved his life?-Are you guys still with me-Yeah Yeah you guys seen stuff and have saved many lives also.I know-Your Great also-just had to tell ya ,this story.That's why I respect Army Medics-But "We"-should have gotten some college credits To.What do you think?------Greetings from the Bronx......Bye for now...

doc h fmf
07-24-10, 09:19 AM
THANK YOU ALLAN,THAT WAS A GOOD STORY. I decided to be in the medical field because of my 2 uncles. They were Army medics during ww2, they both did Dday 1on the 4thwave other on the 6th both on Omaha beach.I could join the Army because i had flat feet,but the Navy took me and I became a corpman.

doc h fmf
07-24-10, 09:22 AM
THANK YOU ALLAN,THAT WAS A GOOD STORY. I decided to be in the medical field because of my 2 uncles. They were Army medics during ww2, they both did Dday 1on the 4thwave other on the 6th both on Omaha beach.I couldnt join the Army because of flat feet. So I joined the Navy and secame a Corpman.

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

DanM
07-24-10, 11:46 AM
That's why I respect Army Medics-But "We"-should have gotten some college credits To.What do you think?------Greetings from the Bronx......Bye for now...

I'm not sure what you are getting on about.HM "A" school classes were transferable for some credit and or the ability to challenge the LPN/LVN licenseing test.

"C" school classes were also transferable for credit at many colleges.Did you follow up on a medical career after discharge and try to use these credits?

HM3 Doc Wilder
07-24-10, 02:09 PM
No I did not know about these credits-when I decided to be an X-ray Tech.I learned about this later on when I was working at the VA.I was surprised-Something about going through Fort Sam Houston Med Training School-gives these Army Medics-these special -college credits.As I said-Hospital Corpsman School-could have been calibrated better-That big red-Corpsman book-was a little empty-when it comes to Emergent-Life Repair.Shows you how to catheterize-some one I remember.Good pharmacology in it for that time.Shows you how to Larvarge-ears,wounds,intestines.Don't use Morphine-for head wounds,chest wounds and stomach wounds-remember?.I'm sure that book has been replaced.HM1-it's a pleasure hearing from you.I know what I'm saying-I just don't have proof of what I'm saying .

HM3 Doc Wilder
07-24-10, 02:31 PM
Doc Hansen-your name is so familiar-I was in Hospital Corpsman class 48.There was this First Class Corpsman-at the Great Lakes named-Gillette-He had a list of Tattooed-female names running down his right arm.The ones above the latest name-all had tattooed -blue lines through them.He was the guy that used to let people into the chow hall.I remember these two Wave-Corpsman-They were pretty.Dee Dee Bonforgold,and Dora Swarez-Never could get them on the phone at the Sherman House Hotel in Downtown Chicago.They were busy-not with me.Doc Hansen-who were you with in Nam-FMF-I Core.I might know you.Glad to know you now.I've met lots of people that were in the Service with flat-feet-No Biggy.

HM3 Doc Wilder
07-24-10, 02:46 PM
Mark 291-It says you cant receive private messages-for some reason-So I'll say it here.Definitely would like to be your friend.Semper Fi my Marine Brother.I don't know much-bout this "Friend-Thing"When someone-asks to be my friend-which I really appreciate-Do I reply-and ask them to be my friend also?Don't know?

HM3 Doc Wilder
07-24-10, 02:57 PM
DocGreek-All my respect-to you-Always-You know the Army Medics-were taught to use those condom things and inflate them in gaping abdominal-wounds.This would take up space and slow down the blood loss also.Interesting.....as Spock would say.Did you use this Technique-also?

HM3 Doc Wilder
07-24-10, 03:33 PM
Hey Haas Echo-You were a Corpsman Instructor-"Corpsman Teacher"-Did they improve and show Corpsman which Blood vessels to tie off?Run that blood volume-expander-fully open?As for Tourniquets-I remember -putting the time of application-on the forehead.I was not taught to loosen it up-like today to prevent Gangrene.My Medicine Techniques-are old-but they still work.I know if someone now has a traumatic-Amputation-I can definitely save their life.So can you DocGreek and all you other Corpsman.Here right now-"Your gonna make it" "Hang in there"-"Just Hold On"-a minute later-Gone.Does it Hurt?-FU*kin A-Double Fu*kin A.No wonder we drank like fish.I was trained to be a Combat Corpsman 8404/0311-and I did some good work-but I'll never know -if I could have survived in rice-patty situations....Yeah, there definitely-was war on C-Battery-going on.That's the closest I came to being in Combat-So I have these big Guilt Trips-cause I know-that's where I should have been-Then I could be like You Corpsman-walking in your shoes.I had a chance to be a Medi-Vac Corpsman-at Mag 11.The reason why I'm here-is because I didn't go-there---See more guilt-I have a lot of that-Sorry to say-Bye from the Bronx