PDA

View Full Version : iliotibial band syndrome

alex71892
07-08-10, 07:06 AM
Anybody know how to get rid of iliotibial band syndrome quickly?

Lisa 23
07-08-10, 07:28 AM
The Marines here are doctors, so I suggest you go and see your family doctor.

Wyoming
07-08-10, 08:30 AM

Huh?

Anyway, treatment for iliotibial band syndrome (ITBS) usually is conservative. Conservative treatment consists of (1) relative rest by decreasing the amount of exercise or training, (2) the use of superficial heat and stretching prior to exercise, and (3) the use of ice after the activity. Heat should be applied before and during stretching for at least 5-10 minutes, and ice treatments should be employed using a cold pack applied to the area for 10-15 minutes or using an ice massage, which involves rubbing ice over the inflamed region for 3-5 minutes or until the area is numb. Also, running and cycling should be decreased or avoided to prevent further repetitive stress to the ITB. Wearing proper shoes also is very important in individuals with ITBS.

Hope that helps, but my degree expires each evening when I hoist me 1st drink.

Lisa 23
07-08-10, 09:36 AM

Ooooops....my bad. Thanks for catching that BigAl.
The Marines here aren't doctors.

I will proceed to haze myself at the gym this evening.

alex71892
07-08-10, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the help.

NoRemorse
07-08-10, 11:49 AM
roll that puppy out (as in google myofascial release), follow RICE as BigAl posted above and see a sports doc, ortho, or perhaps someone who specializes in biomechanics so they can check your movement pattern and figure out what part of the chain is causing the IT band syndrome.

Lynn2
07-08-10, 12:54 PM
http://www.drpribut.com/sports/spitb.html

Take a look at this link. It might help some.

"quickly" ?-----when you are talking about chronic conditions adding in "quickly" may not be in your best interests.

"Correctly" though just may be the word you want.

Capital M
07-08-10, 04:10 PM
You can make it through boot with IBS. The pain is all mental

alex71892
07-08-10, 07:36 PM
Good to know Capital M. I leave in 10 days.

Capital M
07-08-10, 07:45 PM
I went there with it (Dad's a physical therapist so it was unofficially diagnosed), saw a kid in MRP who was taking our blood pressure in receiving.. said he was in MRP for IBS... thought to myself "****" ran through it my first two weeks and it just became a normal part of my day

Just stretch and keep your legs loose and youll be fine. Don't say **** at the moment of truth. For real

Lynn2
07-09-10, 07:59 AM
Don't be an idiot. Its not just an overuse injury it means something is wrong with how you are put together. You need to take care of this BEFORE you join.

Because someone can make it through with this condition does not mean you will make it through. Be smart here. And be careful of the internet. You can get some really stupid advice when you ask:

"(1) relative rest by decreasing the amount of exercise or training, (2) the use of superficial heat and stretching prior to exercise, and (3) the use of ice after the activity. Heat should be applied before and during stretching for at least 5-10 minutes, and ice treatments should be employed using a cold pack applied to the area for 10-15 minutes or using an ice massage, which involves rubbing ice over the inflamed region for 3-5 minutes or until the area is numb. Also, running and cycling should be decreased or avoided to prevent further repetitive stress to the ITB. Wearing proper shoes also is very important in individuals with ITBS."

and:

ITBS may aggrieve your knee enough to drastically limit or even completely stop your training.

Iliotibial band syndrome has been around since man (and woman) first learned to run, but it wasn't actually described in the medical literature until 1975 (Sports Injuries and Their Treatment, p. 56, J. B. Lippincott Publishers, Philadelphia, 1975). The syndrome is often labelled an 'overuse' injury, but that's a very poor way to describe the origin of the problem, since it implies that the main source of difficulty is excess mileage. The truth is that runners can be afflicted with ITBS on a regime of just five to 10 miles per week, even though such volume would hardly constitute overtraining. The key source of iliotibial band syndrome disorders is actually a lack of strength and flexibility in the iliotibial band, sometimes combined with a perverse fondness for running either on the track or on crowned roads......."