PDA

View Full Version : I have a question about MOS'S...

jallen
07-07-10, 06:39 PM
Lets say I choose to be in Aviation, when I get deployed is that what I will be doing all the time? The reason I am asking is because I know that "every Marine is a rifleman first". I don't mind taking up arms and going into battle with everyone else I am just wondering if it will be like this...I wake up in the morning and wonder what I will be doing that day, working in aviation or out with the infantry. Thank you in advance for your help.

Zulu 36
07-07-10, 08:17 PM
Lets say I choose to be in Aviation, when I get deployed is that what I will be doing all the time? The reason I am asking is because I know that "every Marine is a rifleman first". I don't mind taking up arms and going into battle with everyone else I am just wondering if it will be like this...I wake up in the morning and wonder what I will be doing that day, working in aviation or out with the infantry. Thank you in advance for your help.

You would be doing your aviation job. You might be assigned to your squadron's provisional rifle platoon, but that would be for emergencies only.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean you won't ever leave the wire, in which case you'll be suited up for battle, just in case (if you're in a combat zone, that is).

gonzo4
07-07-10, 08:27 PM
You can do anything out there. You will mostly be doing your MOS but you can hold gate security and go on patrol. If they need bodies be prepared to roll out.

Nick Valdez
07-07-10, 08:38 PM
You are right, you are a rifleman first, but you will be doing your MOS unless they need you on the line as a rifleman.

WXSgt
07-08-10, 10:13 AM
If leaving the wire is something that you would like to do there are numerous Individual Augmentee billets out there that allow you to leave your mos and basically deploy with another unit. but of course if you do deploy in aviation depending on the shop you may launch the planes then get on gear and go to base defense if needed.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-10-10, 05:44 PM
As has been stated, 90 percent of the time, plan on doing what the Marine Corps sent you to school to do.

The other 10 percent......