PDA

View Full Version : Glasses!!

jshields19
07-07-10, 02:29 PM
I wear glasses whitch i really need them to wear like at all times! does the DI let you wear your own glasses or contacts at all times during Recruit Training?

tdrt
07-07-10, 02:32 PM
Nope. You'll get issued a lovely set of Birth Control Glasses -- like the kind Drew Carey wears from the '50s. No contacts ever.

DrZ
07-07-10, 02:45 PM
Be glad you can't wear contacts.... you will spend enough time in dirt, dust, and sand that your eyes would always look like they are bleeding!

The glasses I was issued (40+ years ago), were probably left over from when my Dad was in boot (67 years ago).... and I believe the Marines still have ample supply for the next 100 years! Thankfully, after graduation, you can either have a reunion with your contacts or purchase some less homely glasses with your hard earned money.

WXSgt
07-07-10, 02:50 PM
if you wore your own glasses would you be uniform with the rest of the people in your platoon that wore glasses? and would hate to have contacts in when you went to the gas chamber as the CS gets under them and burns the sh!t outta your eyeballs.

Lisa 23
07-07-10, 04:37 PM
Also, try doing a search on the site as glasses in boot camp has been covered many times before.

Capital M
07-07-10, 09:09 PM
If you're really concerned about it. just bring a pair of contacts down with you and keep them for the items in your blue money-valuable bag.

I did this, and starting phase three I only wore my glasses when in class or when absolutely necessary. My tan line was gone and the DIs don't really notice that you all of a sudden arent wearing your glasses so on Marine week you could get away with wearing contacts.

The only rule for our company was no civilian glasses ever. Contacts during Marine week was kind of a gray area

SlingerDun
07-07-10, 10:03 PM
Now go ahead and say these are not waaay kooler than the modern issue BCG's

http://www.recycledgoods.com/product_images/q/423/s_p_30859_1__56420_zoom.jpg

Sgt Leprechaun
07-10-10, 05:37 PM
Bring contacts at your own risk, and use at your own risk. Personally, I can't advise on that. After recruit training, I never wore the BC's, and wore contacts constantly.

SGT7477
07-10-10, 05:50 PM
Now go ahead and say these are not waaay kooler than the modern issue BCG's

http://www.recycledgoods.com/product_images/q/423/s_p_30859_1__56420_zoom.jpg Looks like my old pair.:D

scarver007
07-11-10, 12:39 AM
You will be glad to wear the BC's during table 2 firing because anyone that doesn't have glasses has to wear the eye pro. that they provide, and from talking to the ones in my platoon that had to wear them, they were all scratched and they could hardly see the targets.

spartan0509
07-11-10, 01:04 PM
You get a pair of portholes and a PT strap issued to you. They're brown these days, ugly thick things. The old ones had more class! They're actually pretty normal looking after about day 5. Forget contacts.

jshields19
07-20-10, 09:44 AM
thanks for the info guys!

Lisa 23
07-20-10, 09:52 AM
thanks for the info guys!

Yes, this does bother me...how about saying thanks Marines, not guys.

jshields19
07-20-10, 09:54 AM
sorry i will next time!!!

LJ27
07-20-10, 10:23 AM
You will be glad to wear the BC's during table 2 firing because anyone that doesn't have glasses has to wear the eye pro. that they provide, and from talking to the ones in my platoon that had to wear them, they were all scratched and they could hardly see the targets.

Yeah the eye pro sucked. Blurry and scratched. The portholes they have now aren't that bad lookin though. I was supposed to get issued some but slipped thru the cracks somehow.

WXSgt
07-20-10, 12:39 PM
wow i remember when you didnt have to wear eye pro lol