PDA

View Full Version : is there anything like MAVNI in marines????

vic1000
07-07-10, 01:22 AM
hi there, im a foreign student studying in US.
joining the marines is the very thing that i wanted for my ife.
however, im barricated by the indentity requirements
im not a us citizen, and dont have a green card.
is there any possibility that i can enlist the marines?

as i know, there is a program called MAVNI in army through which one can enlist the army after staying in US legally for 2 years.

is there anything in Marine like this MAVNI program??
i don't want army because i do want to become a marine, the few, the proud, right? lol.:)
thanks

WXSgt
07-07-10, 10:28 AM
Have you researched at all about the MAVNI program? It only applies to people with critical skills needed. here is a link for some info on the program http://www.visapro.com/Immigration-Articles/?a=1350&z=29

I'll look it up some more and get back to you but i would need to know where you are from and any skills you have.

WXSgt
07-07-10, 10:53 AM
http://www.ice.gov/doclib/sevis/pdf/mavni_faq_111009.pdf

No the USMC does not have this program(this is a DOD program) I was looking further into it and realized we do not have physicians so cant do that and our linguists are required to have top secret clearances and be a US citizen so again that precludes you. sorry to tell ya

tdrt
07-07-10, 02:12 PM
You need to have a valid green card.

Rocky C
07-07-10, 02:16 PM

as i know, there is a program called MAVNI in army through which one can enlist the army after staying in US legally for 2 years.

i don't want army because i do want to become a marine, the few, the proud, right? lol.:)
thanks

No there isn't..........Sorry.

vic1000
07-07-10, 09:16 PM
Have you researched at all about the MAVNI program? It only applies to people with critical skills needed. here is a link for some info on the program http://www.visapro.com/Immigration-Articles/?a=1350&z=29

I'll look it up some more and get back to you but i would need to know where you are from and any skills you have.

from China,apparently, with proficiency in Mandarin.

THX, guys:)

Lisa 23
07-07-10, 10:14 PM

How about "Thanks Marines", not thank guys.

Lynn2
07-08-10, 08:21 AM
Is it the job you would end up doing or the title and uniform you are after?

There is nothing wrong with the USArmy. In fact there are many elite units such as the 175th Ranger BN that the chances are you would never make it into.

If you want the gig. If you want to serve. Then do so where you can.

WXSgt
07-08-10, 09:48 AM
you can however join the army under the mavni program and get legal residency or citizenship then do an intraservice transfer and join the Marine Corps towards the end of your army contract

Sgt Leprechaun
07-10-10, 05:40 PM
No such thing anymore as the 'interservice' transfer I'm afraid. He'd have to complete his enlistment, then re-enlist (can literally do this the day after EAS), complete recruit training, etc.

And no such thing as MAVNI in the Marine Corps.

SGT7477
07-10-10, 05:53 PM

thanks How about capitalizing Marines?:evilgrin:

WXSgt
07-11-10, 06:36 PM
No such thing anymore as the 'interservice' transfer I'm afraid. He'd have to complete his enlistment, then re-enlist (can literally do this the day after EAS), complete recruit training, etc.

And no such thing as MAVNI in the Marine Corps.

Since when? A guy I worked with last year was doing it. I'm honestly asking when they cancelled the intraservice transfer

Sgt Leprechaun
07-11-10, 07:11 PM
My mistake on that. I should have clarified a bit:

"The MAVNI program will expire on Dec. 31, 2009, unless the Secretary of Defense extends the cutoff date. The program's results and the needs of the different branches of the military will determine whether it continues or is expanded."

There was a 60 day extension which expired in Feb of '10.

The 'interservice transfer' program (such as 'blue to green' and 'green to blue') have not been in effect for ENLISTED folks for several years. (Officers are a whole different story and not really pertinent to this forum). The 'blue to green' was an Army program that targeted AF and Navy specifically, but also included the Marine Corps and Coast Guard as an afterthought ('Selected members *may* be qualified...).

The idea of interservice transferring is a long held one, but very, very few are EVER allowed to do so, and those who are allowed to do it (I'm talking in the middle of an enlistment, NOT at the completion of one....that's considered a re-enlistment into another branch) are almost unheard of, and mostly from the officer Corps.

WXSgt
07-12-10, 11:40 AM
kk ty for the clarification

scifguard
07-20-10, 11:53 PM

So... Are you from China and just kind of acting like we're supposed to know that? Or are you just not quite sure if you're actually from China. With your profile not filled out it's a little hard to know where your from.

vic1000
07-21-10, 12:55 AM
So... Are you from China and just kind of acting like we're supposed to know that? Or are you just not quite sure if you're actually from China. With your profile not filled out it's a little hard to know where your from.

Sorry, but I guess you misunderstood my point due to the extra comma I put there. (If so, I apologize for putting that comma there.)
What I was trying to express was: I am from China. AND I am apparently with proficiency in Mandarin.

Men and women from China or Taiwan are with proficiency in Mandarin, aren't they?

vic1000
07-21-10, 01:00 AM
Is it the job you would end up doing or the title and uniform you are after?

There is nothing wrong with the USArmy. In fact there are many elite units such as the 175th Ranger BN that the chances are you would never make it into.

If you want the gig. If you want to serve. Then do so where you can.

Yep. Nothing wrong with the Army, but as far as I am concerned, the Marine offers more challenges including harder training (Not concerning elite units).

And I personally prefer the harder one.

Thanks for the advice.