PDA

View Full Version : A serious question about why I want to join the Marines

MTN418
07-06-10, 10:16 PM
So I was talking to my older sister, who is basically my voice of reason, and we were talking about me and the Corps.

We talked about how before I decided that I wanted to be a Marine, I had talked to no one. I never asked for opinions from family, never said, 'Hey, what would you think about...?', and the first thing they heard from me about it was, 'I will be a Marine.'

My sister is super supportive of me, but she also is the one that asks the tough questions. The one that stuck out to me was:

"You sound like you know you want to accomplish something that you can be proud of, but how do you know it's through the military?"

I gave her answers such as 'I know I can do this' and 'I want to serve and protect because it's who I am'. I want to do it so that I may become a better individual mentally and physically and I want to lead others to do the same.

But then she brought up another good point: People accomplish things that they can be proud of through other means other than the military, such as my father who worked 12 extremely hard years as a doctor in the ER. To be able to work 24 hours shifts so many times a month he had to be physically fit to handle the stress, he had to push himself mentally to be able to get through the day, and he led people to do the same so that he and all that were led by his example can protect others. He has never had the problem of going to sleep at night and wondering if he's done something amazing.

So while maybe this is a question that I have to answer myself, I wanted a Marine's perspective. I know I want to be a Marine, but is that all I need? Is knowing that I want to and can be a Marine enough?

Lisa 23
07-06-10, 10:25 PM
Only YOU know the answer to your questions.

sparkie
07-06-10, 10:28 PM
"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem." - Ronald Reagan

tdrt
07-06-10, 10:30 PM
yes

DrZ
07-06-10, 10:50 PM
I guess my question for you would be.... if you don't join the Marines... where do you see your life going? Are you going to go to University? Are you planning on following in your Dad's footsteps and become a doctor? There are many ways to protect and serve and all are needed and necessary.

If you go to University and get your degree in whatever your chosen dicipline, you can join the Marines as an officer and become a leader of Marines.

I would task you with this.... go somewhere quiet...somewhere you can just think and answer the question of what you want to do and where you see your life going. As a Marine.... I will tell you it was/is the best thing I have ever done FOR ME.... but is it the best for you? Is this the proper time for you? Is your future as an enlisted Marine, or as a Marine officer, or as a civilian working to improve the world. All those positions are important and needed.

Answer those questions and you will easily make the decision that is RIGHT FOR YOU. If your answer if you want to be a Marine... and you know it is right for you.... then go talk to a Marine recruiter.

Come back and let us know.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-06-10, 11:25 PM
"Do what YOU need to make you happy. Not what someone else needs. You are the one that has to look at yourself in the mirror every morning when you are old and gray, and say "Damn, I shoulda/woulda/coulda done......"
....The Leprechaun, 12 December 2009