PDA

View Full Version : food intolerance/allergies and becoming a Marine

SemperFi2010
07-06-10, 08:32 AM
Hello,

I am very interested in becoming a Marine. I've spent a lot of time thinking and reading about it, and I think it's something that I definitely want to do. The only problem though is that I was diagnosed with celiac disease about five years ago. It's not really a disease per se, but more just a food intolerance to wheat or gluten (the protein found in wheat). I also am lactose intolerant and can't have anything with dairy.

I was wondering if 1. The Marines do accept people with celiac? And 2. If so, how do they provide them with meals while they are out in the field or in boot camp, i.e. do they make gluten-free MREs and provide "special meals" for celiacs in the mess hall? (I heard that the Israeli Defense Forces draft celiacs and help cater to their needs.)

I would really like to join an infantry unit, but I realize how difficult this can be with my food limitations. Any information you can provide would be much appreciated. I really want to find a way to make this work.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Phantom Blooper
07-06-10, 10:09 AM
So Jimmy can't crack corn....huh?

Have you ever had an anaphylaxis or anaphylactic shock/reaction?

That's where the allergy produces difficulty in breathing, advanced heart rate and other symptoms which are part of a threat to life.

A liability to be sure....

Chronic diarrhea or other symptoms of celiac disease or any food-related allergy of that sort is disqualifying.

You need to go speak to a recruiter about this.

However the Marine Corps is not going to cater to dietary needs in the mess hall....your lucky if you have a medical problem while in that you are afforded a diet that you can tolerate....it is mostly pick & choose and hope for the best.

You may need an age waiver also...since you are pushing it.

Fill out your profile...before continuing further on this site.

Good luck!:evilgrin:

advanced
07-06-10, 10:58 AM
A big problem is that sometimes when they delivered our steak and lobster dinner to us in the bush, it sometimes was very cold. How I hated that because I like my butter hot.

tdrt
07-06-10, 01:42 PM
A big problem is that sometimes when they delivered our steak and lobster dinner to us in the bush, it sometimes was very cold. How I hated that because I like my butter hot.

LOL -- hate it when that happens

Sgt Leprechaun
07-06-10, 11:21 PM
What my Marine friends are trying to tell you is you are disqualified from enlisting. You would be a liability not only to yourself, but to anyone around you, in a field situation.

You should seek career opportunities elsewhere, I'm afraid.

SemperFi2010
07-07-10, 05:57 AM
Yes, unfortunately this was the answer I was expecting to hear but just hoping not to hear. I also appreciate the stabs at humor =) I understand my situation would be a burden to others, and in the field that would be especially dangerous. I just wish that there was some other way around it. I know I could probably handle a job that was off the line perhaps in a support role, but in my mind that would sort of defeat the purpose of being a marine. Anyways, I will probably still speak with a recruiter anyway, face-to-face, just to hear it from the horse's mouth. But inevitably, I think I already know what my fate is.

advanced
07-07-10, 06:34 AM
Sorry Kid

tdrt
07-07-10, 01:30 PM
Yes, unfortunately this was the answer I was expecting to hear but just hoping not to hear. I also appreciate the stabs at humor =) I understand my situation would be a burden to others, and in the field that would be especially dangerous. I just wish that there was some other way around it. I know I could probably handle a job that was off the line perhaps in a support role, but in my mind that would sort of defeat the purpose of being a marine. Anyways, I will probably still speak with a recruiter anyway, face-to-face, just to hear it from the horse's mouth. But inevitably, I think I already know what my fate is.

Good plan. The lactose intolerance you can work around -- lot of people lack the necessary enzyme to break the sugar bonds in milk. In addition, not everything in an MRE contains glutin/wheat. Definately check with a recruiter before throwing in the towel.

Rocky C
07-07-10, 02:25 PM
What my Marine friends are trying to tell you is you are disqualified from enlisting. You would be a liability not only to yourself, but to anyone around you, in a field situation.

You should seek career opportunities elsewhere, I'm afraid.

:thumbup: Yup.

tdrt
07-07-10, 02:30 PM
Shoot a PM to Redman -- he's on glutin free diet.

WXSgt
07-07-10, 02:53 PM
I have known a marine with this exact condition however he found out about it after joining. he pcs'd before i found out what was going on with him. i do believe there was a very good chance he was booted

redman1
07-07-10, 03:38 PM
I wasn't gluten intolerant when I was in the Corps. Just started about five years ago.
I don't believe anyone could serve the best with gluten problem
I agree with almost everyone else the Marine Corps is not for you.
Semper Fi Redman

tdrt
07-07-10, 03:49 PM
Okay. I stand corrected.

Sorry kiddo

SemperFi2010
07-07-10, 06:24 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the info, encouragement, and honest opinions. More likely than not, I'll have to find some other way to serve. If not in the military, then something else. There's really nothing else I can think of that comes even close to the training or the experience of being a soldier or being in the field, but I will still look for some other way to contribute to society. Perhaps FBI or intel or something. Anyways, thanks again for your inputs.

advanced
07-07-10, 06:38 PM
Please understand, whatever you do, always know that we are not soldiers, we are Marines. God is not satan.

SemperFi2010
07-08-10, 09:58 AM
My bad. Did not mean to confuse the two.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-10-10, 05:41 PM
Try Law Enforcement, the Fire Service, etc. LOTS of ways to 'still serve', I promise you.