PDA

View Full Version : Newly separated veteran family with boat load of Q's

mymarineismybff
07-04-10, 09:57 PM
Hello! <br />
<br />
I am new to this site, and am very glad that such a resource exists. I also think my husband will be excited to find that such a community exists. Additionally, I have several things I need...

justinheck2011
07-05-10, 03:24 AM
i registered and made an account, thank you for taking good care of me baby. you asked a lot of questions. haha

Quinbo
07-05-10, 09:50 AM
I can find no logic in any of this. Why did he have to get out? Was he a weight control failure or something? Did you all get married after he got out? You shouldn't have had to pack and move...

mymarineismybff
07-05-10, 07:41 PM
Well, those are a lot of details I thought didn't matter, but if it will help you expedite an answer to at least one of my 48 questions, then here you go... <br />
<br />
He was medically discharged because...

mymarineismybff
07-05-10, 07:46 PM
ps- I found little logic in his discharge, also. It's making it awfully hard to get him some care. =(

Phantom Blooper
07-05-10, 07:55 PM
Wishing your husband a speedy recovery.

You need to go to a service organization located in your area and speak to the service officer.

Take his DD-214 and any other paperwork he was given.

The DAV...Marine Corps League...AMVETS....American Legion...VFW...Paralyzed Veterans of America...Purple Hearts

Your questions are valid...however you need to get medical treatment and what is owed ASAP....

The answers that you get here will only be of personal experiences.

Send this Marine a PM he is a VA service representative in Louisiana and he may be able to give up to date scoop.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=7539

His screen name is oldtop.

Good luck to you both.:evilgrin:

Wyoming
07-05-10, 08:24 PM
These caught my eye. <br />
<br />
Can you explain a bit further?

USNAviator
07-05-10, 08:36 PM
"he didn't receive a purple heart because at the time, he couldn't talk about where he was and his SSGT I think said he couldn't apply for one??"

This caught my eye as well. With all due respect could you ask your husband to explain this?

Regarding all others matters, I hope all things work out for you

Dan

hbharrison
07-05-10, 08:44 PM
OK how does one not get a PH becuase they were where they could not talk about it?

Vandrel
07-05-10, 08:57 PM
So did he go to the VA clinic on base while checking out and get seen or start paperwork? <br />
<br />
Regardless of what type of discharge is awarded, a percentage award package won't come in the mail until...

Phantom Blooper
07-05-10, 09:51 PM
he didn't receive a purple heart because at the time, he couldn't talk about where he was

I thought about that also and typed Purple Hearts....for helping.

But I had a brain fart and I forgot to question this....

Not understanding this either....if he was wounded and treated he should rate a Purple Heart.

Please explain........:evilgrin:

Riven37
07-06-10, 07:27 AM
Unless he was doing Special Ops, he may have been somewhere where he wasn't suppose to be at and ended up wounded. I am not concern about the PH he can apply for one later but it will be harder to get.

These caught my eye.

Can you explain a bit further?

mymarineismybff
07-06-10, 07:59 PM
I don't think he went to the hospital at all, except to pick up my medical records. Also, we turned in his dd form 214 to the VA.. and everyone else, including the dmv, and that's why we were...

mymarineismybff
07-06-10, 08:07 PM
We both have jobs, and his is a night job that lasts from 5 pm to 4 am usually =(

However, I did ask him and he said he wasn't treated. He said a corps man put some black stuff in the wound? Don't ask me, i couldn't even tell you what "black stuff" is qualified to go into an open wound outside of a hospital. Anyways, it's also apparently too late now. And the "I can't talk about it" bit is quite common, apparently. His entire, um, I don't know the terminology, but entire section of people he was with always said that to us women-folk and now that they're out and receiving services, the VA is asking them questions left and right that they couldn't originally talk to us about. Oh well. I don't need to know that badly.

And whomever asked my husband to explain the situation, I've TOLD him to sign on and put a pic in and maybe ask his own questions and reply to the nice people who have offered me help and such, but we both work a lot. His 1 job equals or exceeds my two!

TMM54
07-06-10, 08:44 PM
Second on the post recommending go to one of the service organizations. The DAV helped me tremendously - still is. Get an expert to help your husband. Semper Fi, Tom

FistFu68
07-06-10, 09:02 PM
:usmc: No Biggy Pretty Lady,tell that Marine of yours He's a Lucky Bastard too have a good Wife by His side.I was still in the Corps when I recieved my Comp.Number for multiple Gunshot wounds.Then Reupped after getting busted from Cpl...for another 3 years then when they took my Jump Status away from Me I took the Medical.But when I went to the VA...they had Me jumping through hoops.Stand By your Man GoodLuck 2 both of You...Remember the Family that Prays together STAYS together...GodBless You Both Semper~Fidelis :iwo::thumbup:

Vandrel
07-06-10, 09:50 PM
It's very easy actually..... the VA is not required for check-out/EAS, it's optional. It's not required that service members go to the VA clinic on base and get examined to send in request packets...

Quinbo
07-07-10, 09:10 AM
Per the education portion :
I just got this in an e-mail from the VFW....
http://donate.vfw.org/site/PageNavigator/Grassroots/Grassroots_ImprovedGIBill

Improved GI Bill in Development
When the new GI Bill was passed in 2008, VFW celebrated the end of a decade-long fight to secure proper educational benefits for our nation’s heroes. But the story didn’t end there.

Recently, Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee Chairman Daniel K. Akaka proposed S. 3447, a bill aimed at improving the new GI Bill. VFW, along with other veterans’ service organizations, is working with Akaka to shape this legislation.

“We stand beside Senator Akaka in his relentless fight for educational benefits that properly honor wartime service,” said Eric Hilleman, VFW Legislative Director. “We will do everything in our power to assure that this bill will make a direct difference in the lives of all service members and veterans who are seeking a quality education.”

If passed, the new legislation would:

Count all Reserve and National Guard activations toward eligibility for education benefits.
Cover the cost of all education at any public university, including masters programs and PHD programs.
Include coverage for vocational programs, OJT and apprenticeship training and other types of non-degree education and training, in addition to a university education.
Eliminate the complicated calculation of state-by-state tuition and fee caps to determine benefits for those in degree programs.
Provide a modified living stipend to students who are enrolled in online education.
Make active duty members and their spouses eligible for the $1,000 annual book allowance.
Fix the inequality in living stipends between the Post- 9/11 GI Bill and the VA Vocational Rehabilitation Program for disabled veterans injured in OIF/OEF. (Veterans would not be forced to pass on valuable Rehabilitation benefits to access the more generous Post-9/11 GI Bill living stipend benefits).

Senator Akaka, who attended college on the original GI Bill, has no doubt about the difference such a bill can make in the lives of troops and veterans who are returning to civilian life.

"The World War II GI Bill changed my life, and my generation," said Akaka. "Hundreds of thousands of troops and veterans are already using the new GI Bill to pursue their education. Now that we have seen the benefit in action, this new legislation can improve the existing framework. I look forward to working through a comprehensive legislative process to pass a good improvement bill."

__________________________________________________ ______________________

It reads to me that the current GI bill doesn't cover some things right now but they are working to change that.