PDA

View Full Version : Lat-move, 2671, Security Clearance

JWDevilDog
07-04-10, 01:13 PM
Greetings Marines, and happy Fourth!

I am an 0481 and have been considering doing a lat-move to 2671 (Middle Eastern Cryptologic Linguistics). Actually it isn't even something I'm considering anymore, I have made up my mind that I'm going to do it.

I bring up the following questions on this site because I feel I have been getting d*cked around by my CRS and my immediate chain of command is also unhelpful.

I talked to my CRS about three months ago, and she advised that I wait until July (ish) to put in my lat-move package, she also advised that I put in my re-enlistment package at the same time, with my language choice (Farsi) as my re-enlistment incentive. To me, this makes sense. However, she failed to mention anything about when I should put in for my security clearance. Crypto Linguistics requires a TS clearance. I currently have no clearance to speak of, not even Secret.

A few days ago I went back to the CRS to verify a few things. This time instead of talking to the Gunny, whom I spoke with before, I talked to the Sergeant. He told me I can't even submit my paperwork for my lat-move until my TS clearance is approved. Great, that's three months wasted when I could have submitted my clearance already. So, I go and talk to the SMO and ask for the security clearance paperwork. He says I cannot submit for a TS clearance until my Secret clearance has been approved, then I can put in for a TS.

Basically what I am being told at this point in time is that first my Secret clearance has to be approved. Once that happens I can submit my TS clearance. Once TS is approved, I can submit my lat-move and re-enlistment packages.

Because I feel that I have been getting the run-around by just about everyone involved at every level in this process, I was wondering if there are any active duty Marines on this site who have been through similar situations (lat-moves that require security clearances, for example) who can confirm or deny the validity of any of the above? I want more than anything to simply say screw the Secret clearance and put in for the TS immediately, and I also want to simply say screw waiting on the clearances to be approved and put in for my lat-move now.

Also, I have been told Farsi has recently been designated as a Western European language, in which case its MOS designator would be 2674 (2671 is Middle Eastern). I asked the CRS sergeant about this, and he wasn't really too positive, but he seemed to "think" it would be a Middle Eastern language. I tend to agree, but again I don't want to base my re-enlistment incentive off what someone "thinks" is correct.

Any help regarding my situation would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Semper Fi.

Kegler300
07-04-10, 02:06 PM
Since OEF 1 in 2003, all Marines who enlist are supposed to complete NACLC background investigations upon their enlistment. Sadly, 50% of the recruiting service still hasn't received he memo. If you are approved for a latmove into the 2671 MOS, upon reenlistment, you will have to complete the SSBI for TS/SCI. You don't have to submit the NACLC prior to acceptance, but do need to see your SSO for the SCI screening prior to submitting for the latmove so the occfld sponsor can make an interim determination that you will successfully obtain the SCI eligibility.

osborned
07-04-10, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I think you are getting the runaround. There are currently several lat-movers in our platoon at 1st RadBn who haven't got their clearances yet, and they probably won't until they've finished DLI.

Kegler300
07-04-10, 02:11 PM
Once your security manager releases your e-QIP to OPM, you should be contacted by a USIS investigator within approximately 30 days for the mandatory interview. SSBI's normally take 4-6 months to complete. My last one in '08 took 45 days...I'm a frickin' open book after so many.

Beltayn
07-04-10, 05:36 PM
I talked to my CRS about three months ago, and she advised that I wait until July (ish) to put in my lat-move package, she also advised that I put in my re-enlistment package at the same time, with my language choice (Farsi) as my re-enlistment incentive.
Waiting until July to put in the package makes sense, as it coincides with all the new manpower requirements coming out. My CRS told me the same thing.

However, she failed to mention anything about when I should put in for my security clearance. Crypto Linguistics requires a TS clearance. I currently have no clearance to speak of, not even Secret.

This isn't as big of a deal as it may seem from your perspective. Unless you have a checkered past which may cast doubt on whether you will GET a clearance, there isn't any real reason for concern.
When you put in your package for the lat-move, you'll go through the process for being approved for a clearance. You only need to have an open investigation for a Secret in order to go through with the lat move, and your clearance level will be verified and elevated most likely while you are doing your (long) training at DLI.

This is exactly the same requirements and procedure as to do MSG duty as a Marine without any form of clearance, which also requires a TS.

For clarification purposes, TS and TS-SCI are two different levels. Sensitive Compartmented Information clearance is an extension from the actual security clearance level you posses. To my knowledge, you do NOT actually need TS-SCI to be a 2671. At least, I didn't, nor did the Pashto linguists I went to DLI with.
If you need a SCI clearance, I'm sure they will get you one. It's honestly that simple. Don't overly freak out about this.

This time instead of talking to the Gunny, whom I spoke with before, I talked to the Sergeant. He told me I can't even submit my paperwork for my lat-move until my TS clearance is approved. Great, that's three months wasted when I could have submitted my clearance already.

Your Sergeant is likely mistaken. We did not need verified TS clearances to attend DLI, and most students at DLI that I knew did not get their clearance fully verified until fairly late in their training when it would just kinda appear on MOL one day.
Like I said, you just need an open investigation to get Secret. Don't freak out.

So, I go and talk to the SMO and ask for the security clearance paperwork. He says I cannot submit for a TS clearance until my Secret clearance has been approved, then I can put in for a TS.
He is giving an accurate description of the process to get a TS. That holds no bearing on your package and what you actually need for that to go through.

I want more than anything to simply say screw the Secret clearance and put in for the TS immediately, and I also want to simply say screw waiting on the clearances to be approved and put in for my lat-move now.
You can't do the first. It doesn't work like that.
Go ahead and pursue the second. Your actual package should contain a section relating to setting up your open investigation for Secret.

Also, I have been told Farsi has recently been designated as a Western European language, in which case its MOS designator would be 2674 (2671 is Middle Eastern).
This is geographically ridiculous if Arabic remained classified as Middle Eastern. I seriously doubt it. It would be far more likely to be moved into an Asian category like Pashto than into Western European.

JWDevilDog
07-04-10, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the help everyone, all the information was extremely helpful.

Beltayn, your comment helped to calm me down a little bit too. The only reason I was getting frustrated is because the way I see it, the less time I spend in my current MOS, the better off I am. Based on what the CRS was telling me, it sounded as though I was going to have to spend at least another six months in my MOS, waiting on my TS clearance to get approved.

I'm relieved that I only have to have the open investigation for Secret in order to put in for my lat-move. So, just dumbing it down to my level even more (since I have never been involved with these things before), just go ahead and put in my security clearance package for Secret, and then I can go ahead and put in my lat-move package immediately after? Or will I have to wait for something before I know there is an open investigation?

Again, thanks for all the help everyone. I appreciate it immensely.

Beltayn
07-05-10, 02:16 PM
One thing I've discovered as a junior enlisted working with a CRS is that they are extremely busy people, and it can be easy to confuse this with them brushing you and your concerns off.

I'd suggest going in to see your CRS again and taking the approach of "What can I be taking care of right now to simplify this process and make it go smoother? Can I get the ball rolling myself with my clearance investigation now?"
Go in there with the attitude that you're trying to take initiative and make his/her life easier and you'll probably be able to get some more detailed information.

What I'd expect is that your actual package (the physical paperwork you will have to fill out if you have not already done so) will involve a section relating to your clearance. You'll have to go to manpower at S-2 and fill out a few things and then call a phone number and then they will sign off on your paperwork. You will also probably need to sit down for an interview where you basically list all the places you've lived and anybody who'd know you and whether any of them aren't American citizens and stuff like that.
This is all just based on my own experiences however. Go to your CRS for specific direction. They may want you to do things a certain way or in a certain order.

Rocky C
07-05-10, 02:23 PM
Excellent Info!!!