PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps Aviation PT Vs Air Force PT

drfdiggler
07-04-10, 03:01 AM
Greetings,

I'm an Air Force E4 who serves as the squadron physical training leader. The air force has recently rewritten it's PT program to do away with mandated PT, so it's up to the commander if we have group PT or just PT on our own.

The pushback I am getting for keeping PT is that there's no time for PT (Or evidently any other ancillary training, judging by watching our NCO's try to strip an M4) due to mission requirements. This seems to be a common theme, especially with flying units, but everyone seems to have an excuse.

However, I know the marines operate F-18's, and have an enlisted maintence force supporting those aircraft. I get the feeling you somehow manage to fit PT into the schedule, or has this became an issue with marine corps aviation units as well?

josephd
07-04-10, 03:18 AM
Greetings,

I'm an Air Force E4 who serves as the squadron physical training leader. The air force has recently rewritten it's PT program to do away with mandated PT, so it's up to the commander if we have group PT or just PT on our own.

The pushback I am getting for keeping PT is that there's no time for PT (Or evidently any other ancillary training, judging by watching our NCO's try to strip an M4) due to mission requirements. This seems to be a common theme, especially with flying units, but everyone seems to have an excuse.

However, I know the marines operate F-18's, and have an enlisted maintence force supporting those aircraft. I get the feeling you somehow manage to fit PT into the schedule, or has this became an issue with marine corps aviation units as well?

I really can't speak knowledgeably on this because I do not work with an air wing unit but I have spent some time at MCAS Miramar and I can tell you from my experience that yes fitting PT into a wingers schedule can be tough. What we call the "green side" (aka PT, PFT, CFT, rifle range, etc..) of the Corps can sometime take a backseat to an air wing Marine's job because the birds take priority. With that though I also noticed while there isn't a lot of time for shop/Plt. PT sessions there is plenty of time to PT on their own so their really shouldn't be any excuses.

And before anyone else lights you up for it, fill out a profile here so we know who we are talking with

drfdiggler
07-04-10, 03:40 AM
I really can't speak knowledgeably on this because I do not work with an air wing unit but I have spent some time at MCAS Miramar and I can tell you from my experience that yes fitting PT into a wingers schedule can be tough. What we call the "green side" (aka PT, PFT, CFT, rifle range, etc..) of the Corps can sometime take a backseat to an air wing Marine's job because the birds take priority. With that though I also noticed while there isn't a lot of time for shop/Plt. PT sessions there is plenty of time to PT on their own so their really shouldn't be any excuses.

And before anyone else lights you up for it, fill out a profile here so we know who we are talking with

Thanks for the info, sounds like it's just the nature of turning jets, I'd guess the navy has similar issues too.

WXSgt
07-04-10, 07:54 AM
The people that actually work on the line do not have organized pt. They do it on their own for the most part aside from the random squadron event

DrZ
07-04-10, 08:03 AM
Greetings,

__________________________________________________ __________

Once again, I am having to go back about 40 years but I can give you an answer from then. Our commanders understood we are not only Marines but adults. We knew we had a requirement to run the PFT and we took the time in the early AM, late evening, or weekends to do our PT. As in all aspects of the military.... the mission comes first but we were well aware that we needed to PT to stay in shape and to always be prepared for anything from deployment to snap inspection.

Why not talk to some of your people and see if they are interested in forming a group or club to PT either in the AM, at lunch, or in the evenings? There is always time available. Just do it.

Lisa 23
07-04-10, 10:45 AM
drfdiggler......also, when using the words Marines or Marine Corps, they will be capitalized at all times.