PDA

View Full Version : Running in Boot Camp

wilsontc11
07-04-10, 12:20 AM
Hello Marines,

My shipdate is 3 months from today, and as my time in the DEP is flying by, I have always found myself sort of concerned about one aspect of boot camp, and thats all of the running.

Before I DEP'd in, I lived a textbook sedentary lifestyle. Since, i've been running everyday, but I can only run 1 1/2 miles right now before I have to stop. In previous months I always found myself falling out in our PT runs (I couldn't even run a 1 1/2 miles without walking some) which really got me thinking about if I can make it through the runs at boot camp. But with 3 months, I can see myself running 3 miles without walking at the rate i've been going for the past few weeks though.

my question is: How far do you run during PT when you first get to boot camp? my recruiter tells me Drill Instructors build you up, but from what? Does it matter on which Drill Instructors you get? Am I just being to paranoid about it?

Thank you for your time.

CQB0316
07-04-10, 12:25 AM
Running is not a HUGE part of boot. The longest run you will do is 4 miles at the very end. I can only recall running somewhere between 6-10 times ( if I remember correctly ) durring all of boot camp. As someone who didnt run very well when I came in either I can assure you your run time will drop dramatically by the end of boot.

DrZ
07-04-10, 12:30 AM
Hello Marines,

My shipdate is 3 months from today, and as my time in the DEP is flying by, I have always found myself sort of concerned about one aspect of boot camp, and thats all of the running.

Before I DEP'd in, I lived a textbook sedentary lifestyle. Since, i've been running everyday, but I can only run 1 1/2 miles right now before I have to stop. In previous months I always found myself falling out in our PT runs (I couldn't even run a 1 1/2 miles without walking some) which really got me thinking about if I can make it through the runs at boot camp. But with 3 months, I can see myself running 3 miles without walking at the rate i've been going for the past few weeks though.

my question is: How far do you run during PT when you first get to boot camp? my recruiter tells me Drill Instructors build you up, but from what? Does it matter on which Drill Instructors you get? Am I just being to paranoid about it?

Thank you for your time.

If they have not changed boot camp in the last 40 years.... all the marching and exercising will start to build up your stamina and your strength. When you run, you will run as a platoon (in formation) at a pace that you will be able to do. Many times you will chant various things as you are running. This will help you by teaching you to breathe as you run.

You will be amazed at all the changes you will go through. The best advice I can give you is EVERYTIME YOU WANT TO QUIT....TELL YOURSELF.... JUST A LITTLE BIT LONGER...I CAN GO A LITTLE BIT MORE. If you do that.... you will build your body up faster and faster.

Keep your eye on achieving and earning the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor.

wilsontc11
07-04-10, 12:34 AM
Thank you, Marines! That really helps ease my mind. I'll keep up the running anyway though! And thank you for the advice DrZ, i'll keep that in my mind when I am PTing

SGT7477
07-04-10, 11:58 AM
We ran everyday day, our SDI was an animal,lol.

Zulu 36
07-04-10, 01:06 PM
I see your IST time. Try slowing your pace a little bit and forcing yourself to run a little further past 1.5 miles every run session. Don't blow all of your stamina out in a long sprint.

Another trick that works: Do wind sprints. I used to do a 200-meter sprint as hard as I could go. Walk back slowly to the start line and do another sprint. Depending on how in-shape I was, I'd try to do at least four sprints usually no more than six. Time yourself and try to keep it under 30-seconds or less. Don't expect to do Olympic record times.

Do this on alternate run days instead of going for distance.

It made an amazing difference in my distance and speed over distance within just a couple of weeks.

Oh, do not do sprints until you are fully warmed up. A good warm up for sprints is to jog slowly for 1/2-mile. You're not trying to do anything except warm up your muscles. Also do good leg stretches after the jog. If you don't do a good leg warmup, a pulled hamstring is a strong possibility.

wilsontc11
07-04-10, 02:21 PM
I see your IST time. Try slowing your pace a little bit and forcing yourself to run a little further past 1.5 miles every run session. Don't blow all of your stamina out in a long sprint.

Another trick that works: Do wind sprints. I used to do a 200-meter sprint as hard as I could go. Walk back slowly to the start line and do another sprint. Depending on how in-shape I was, I'd try to do at least four sprints usually no more than six. Time yourself and try to keep it under 30-seconds or less. Don't expect to do Olympic record times.

Do this on alternate run days instead of going for distance.

It made an amazing difference in my distance and speed over distance within just a couple of weeks.

Oh, do not do sprints until you are fully warmed up. A good warm up for sprints is to jog slowly for 1/2-mile. You're not trying to do anything except warm up your muscles. Also do good leg stretches after the jog. If you don't do a good leg warmup, a pulled hamstring is a strong possibility.Haha yeah, I think the reason why I can never go more than 1 1/2 is I time myself every 1 1/2 I do with my watch, and I always try and sprint the last 50 yards to get a better time. I'll do that though, thank you for the advice!

Rocky C
07-04-10, 04:17 PM
If they have not changed boot camp in the last 40 years.... all the marching and exercising will start to build up your stamina and your strength. When you run, you will run as a platoon (in formation) at a pace that you will be able to do. Many times you will chant various things as you are running. This will help you by teaching you to breathe as you run.

You will be amazed at all the changes you will go through. The best advice I can give you is EVERYTIME YOU WANT TO QUIT....TELL YOURSELF.... JUST A LITTLE BIT LONGER...I CAN GO A LITTLE BIT MORE. If you do that.... you will build your body up faster and faster.

Keep your eye on achieving and earning the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor.

Exactly !!! :thumbup::flag: