PDA

View Full Version : Stretching Between Sets

SlingerDun
07-03-10, 10:44 PM
Just started practicing this during the work day because i get tight and stiff at the end of the day to the point of walking bent and 1/2 steppin. I count sets in horses trimmed or shod and stretching opportunities come around at approx 20 to 60 minutes cycles. Do any of you long time weight trainers stretch between sets? Are the benefits worthwhile? How does it make you feel....

--->Dave

Quinbo
07-03-10, 10:53 PM
I worked a fairly brutal warehouse job for a couple of years. Company policy we did organized stretching before the shift and then again halfway through shift we stretched again. We were paid a productivity bonus so most of us didn't want to stop work just to stretch. I do think it was beneficial though and a good habit.

josephd
07-04-10, 02:49 AM
stretching anytime you can is going to be worthwhile, it gets oxygen, nutrients, and hydrates your muscles and ligaments.

That said, I stretch 3 times per day. Once in the morning when I wake up, before working out or running, and then before I go to bed.

SlingerDun
08-10-10, 10:23 PM
Feels goodhttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif
After only stretching routinely once per morning for years, this is an added discipline for sure. Especially when a guy is fatigued and would rather just sit on the tailgate and spell out. But i feel more capable and less stove up. I suppose summertime lap swimming should also be credited

NoRemorse
08-11-10, 08:02 AM
Also started doing this during the workday; helps my chronically tight hip flexors. Years of desk jobs suck.

DrZ
08-11-10, 08:27 AM
As someone who travels.... A LOT.... my doctor has been telling me stretching is the best thing you can do for yourself. When I spend 16 - 18 hours on a flight... a few minutes of stretching makes me feel almost human again. I have also been known to do a couple of fast walking laps around the plane...they frown on people running...lol. Follow that with a bit more stretching and I can do a few more hours prior to the desire to go postal on the rest of the passengers occurs again.

So overall... no matter what form of exercise you do.... adding stretching is a good thing.

SlingerDun
12-07-10, 06:26 PM
5 months worth of stretching between "sets" or strenuous exertions, and it's now habit. Misbehaved horses and mules have created plenty an opportunity for wrenching my back out, yet those parts remain sound.

Haven't bought a jug of NSAID's for a few months because "chronic" neck and back pain is reduced to the level of intermittent nuisance as opposed to in your face.

It's a bit of a hassle, but pretty damn welcome cool when a guy is used to just sucking up the lumps, bumps and stingers.