PDA

View Full Version : Russian immigrant fulfills dream of becoming Marine

thedrifter
09-17-03, 05:55 AM
Russian immigrant fulfills dream of becoming Marine

By Melissa DeLoach
Midland Reporter-Telegram 09/16/2003

As a young boy growing up in Moscow, Russia, Mikhail Antipov spent his free time preparing to be a member of the United States Marine Corps.

At 9 years of age, his eyes glued to the television, Antipov watched as Marines landed in Kuwait during the first Gulf War, re-enacting the events during his free time.

"He said he wanted to be a Marine," recalled Olga Starnes, Antipov's mother. "He wanted to fight with the American Marines."

"It sounded crazy to me and I asked him how and he said 'I don't know, but I will.'"

Nearly 10 years later, Antipov's dream has come true. Now 20 years old, the lance corporal in the Marine Corps has joined the brotherhood of his admirers during the second Gulf War.

Antipov spent February to August in Iraq working to liberate the Iraqi people from Saddam Hussein's rule. He is on leave until Sept. 20.

"I've always been interested in American military," said Antipov, who immigrated from Russia at 17. "Seeing how (American) people respect their military has always impressed me.

"The Russian military is like the Great Depression. It's really bad. You can't really compare the two. They're two different organizations run completely different."

Antipov, a 2001 graduate of Lee High School, enlisted in the Marine Corps shortly after receiving his diploma. He is assigned to the second battalion, fifth Marine regime, Fox Company based at Camp Pendleton, Calif.

The Marine Corps appealed to Antipov because of the work ethic the military branch represents, he said.

"It's a hard job, but it's rewarding," he said. "The Marine Corps is an organization that leads by what they say: Honor, courage and commitment. Those values are never betrayed."

Antipov brought these values with him as his unit was deployed to Kuwait in February.

An unscheduled deployment, Antipov said he didn't know what the unknown would bring. But his faith never faltered.

"I was excited," he recalled. "It may sound odd, but I was happy to go there. I got tired of hearing 'get ready.'"

After a 24-hour journey, Antipov's unit established camp in a desert region of Kuwait where they stayed a few weeks, awaiting further orders.

Here, Marines did anything to pass the time -- sweeping, reading novels, taking pictures of the neighboring camels -- anything to keep them entertained beyond their task of digging foxholes for lookout, Antipov said.

Southeast of camp, Antipov's unit established a Tactical Assembly Area for training.

At night, Marines took shifts manning the foxholes, watching for any immediate danger.

"It was boring," admits Antipov, "but you think about the future when your orders are up."

In March, Antipov's unit received orders to enter Iraq. After a few weeks of training, Antipov crossed the border on March 18.

While his unit encountered some resistance, overall his experience was positive, Antipov said. From town to town, Iraqis thanked Antipov for what he was doing.

"It was like a parade," recalled Antipov when he entered Baghdad.

"I really felt proud and I felt good that I was doing something meaningful and making a difference for the entire world. I was happy to see them this way. My biggest concern was to have to kill civilians."

But not every moment was positive. In April, the Republican Guard ambushed Antipov's unit killing two Marines as they tried to take over their armed column.

As major combat operations ended in May, Antipov's unit traveled to Ramatha, Iraq, where they engaged in peacekeeping operations until their deployment back to the states.

In June, the first comforts of home were seen in a television broadcasting a baseball game on ESPN. It would be two months later until Antipov could experience any other comforts.

Antipov, deployed for six months, said his experience actually went quite fast.

"Right now it seems unreal," he said. "For six months I was carrying a rifle and now I'm thinking where's my rifle. A Marine always carries his rifle.

"I don't want anyone to have illusions it was easy because it wasn't. It was bearable, but how can you complain?"

If asked, Antipov said he would return in a heartbeat. His mother, Ms. Starnes, isn't as sure having grown up during World War II.

"Of course I am proud of him, but I hope there is no more war," she said.

Her son, Antipov, moving on to sniper school next week, said he can't see himself living any other way than being a Marine.

"This is destiny," he said. "This was something meant to be."

http://mywesttexas.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10171414&BRD=2288&PAG=461&dept_id=475626&rfi=6

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: