PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Drug Cartels Issue Threat to Arizona Cops

CQB0316
07-03-10, 07:43 PM
http://www.resistnet.com/video/video...sg_share_video (http://www.resistnet.com/video/video/show?id=2600775%3AVideo%3A2327049&xgs=1&xg_source=msg_share_video)

This just ****es me off. The cartels have been able to do so much damage in Mexico that they are using the same tactics on our side. We have to shut this **** off.

Nogales, Arizona (CNN) -- Mario Morales keeps his Commando assault rifle propped up on the seat of his patrol vehicle. The car snakes along a dirt road about a half-mile from the Mexican border.

He's always kept the rifle within arm's reach. But in recent weeks, staying armed at all times has taken on a new urgency: Mexican cartels have issued death threats against the police on the Nogales force.

His car rolls to a stop. Morales steps out and points to a nearby hillside where a rusty fence cuts through the desert landscape, separating the United States from Mexico.

"I would not doubt it right now -- we're being watched," Morales says.

At 51, Morales is a member of the Nogales Police Department's SWAT team. He's patrolled the community since he was 20. Over the past three decades, he's seen this region in southeastern Arizona become a drug corridor for Mexican cartels.

Drug runners speed through the canyons, using tree lines to sneak their loot in and out of Mexico. "They load up and load out, and then they're gone," he says.

He has relatives across the border, but he hasn't been to family gatherings in Mexico for three years. It's too risky -- an American police officer fetches a high price for cartel kidnappings.

"I've always tried to be careful," he says. "I never underestimate the cartels in Mexico. I take it very serious. I keep a low profile."

The cartel hit men are ruthless, and he says some were trained by U.S. Special Forces to help Mexico fight the drug war, until they went to the other side. "That is what we're up against."

"We're not going to be intimidated," adds Kirkham, the police chief for the last six months. "We're going to continue with our operations. In fact, we're going to step up our operations."

Nogales, population 24,000, is the largest border town in this region. Its downtown is a vibrant community with a Latino feel. Mexican and American flags hang outside storefronts. A quaint plaza is filled with children and parents alike. Outside of town, homes are built just a few feet from the fence dividing the two nations. Mexican neighbors live directly on the other side.

And while the region is a major drug corridor, Nogales has an extremely low crime rate. There has only been one murder in the past three years. By contrast, the police chief says, just across the border there have already been 126 drug-related murders this year.

Police say the cartels are being squeezed at the border and the drug lords are angry their profits are being cut into. More than $10 million in drugs have been confiscated in Santa Cruz County this year. And last year, the town of Nogales captured headlines when U.S. Border Patrol agents found a sophisticated drug-smuggling tunnel that went under the border fence.

The 60-member Nogales police force has now been told to keep weapons on them at all times. They're even encouraged to wear body armor when off duty. The officers remain in constant communication so their whereabouts are known.

"This is the first time Nogales police officers have ever been threatened by anyone in drug trafficking," says chief Kirkham. "I take a death threat any time against a police officer -- locally, federally or state -- as very serious."

At one point, while Morales is speaking with CNN, he turns down his radio for a few minutes. The department issues an all-points bulletin for him.

"It's very dangerous. You have to be very careful," he says.

The lifelong resident of Nogales then climbs back into his police car. Dust kicks up along the barren road. The patrols never stop.
<!-- / message -->

Vandrel
07-03-10, 08:00 PM
I often wish I had property in AZ near the border. I'd love to sit up all night and pump some lead into some illegals trying to run into my country..... **** em

hbharrison
07-03-10, 08:04 PM
You are very correct in getting p*ssed off at this cr*p that azz Pres is never going to do something about it until the citizens of Arizona do something the new law passed there is a start but more is needed and it is not making our imigration laws more open. Sometime well just sometimes my blood boils and I get real p*ssed that I can not do anything to help these are Americans d*mnmit.