PDA

View Full Version : HS Grad on Probation, want to be a marine!

clovis
07-03-10, 04:31 AM
Okay!
I'm 18, will be 19 in December just recently out of high school and I want to be a Marine for four years minimum 6 maximum, if I don't change my mind along the way.

Right now its really hard to get a job anywhere and I want to go to college too. I just can't decide if I should do two years within the service and owe four, or just do my 4-6 and pay for it when I get out. If I do school first WITHIN the service, am I reporting in? Am I doing PT? Drills? Random UA? If I go that route what is expected of me while I'm in school.

I also am on probation currently for something that happened while I was in Texas. Originally it was a felony, reduced to a misdemeanor, and then I got deferred adjudication which kept me from being convicted of ANYTHING. I'd be done with "probation" by November, except my fine and court fees came out to 1400. I've been struggling to look for work but I can't find any and thus cannot pay my fines. Can I still join up on probation? All I need to do is pay the fines but seeing as how the job market in Hawaii is quite slim I have not been able to do so.

I would very much like to be a Marine! If I'm gonna do military I want to do it for real. I want to make my military fambam proud of me (They said anything but Marines but I wanna play with the big boys) and earn the citizenship I was born with....and honestly I'm soooo stoked to go to basic training and get my ass worked!! :yes:

I don't have a whole lot of direction as far as what career I want, and I've never committed fully to anything in my life so this is going to be a huge, monstrous, scary hurdle to overcome which is why right now I'm setting the bar at 4-6 years.

Quinbo
07-03-10, 06:36 AM
No

Wyoming
07-03-10, 08:41 AM
... other than wanting to, play with the big boys, being soooo stoked, go to basic training, and getting your ass worked, I am totally lost as to what you want.

WTF was the question?

Phantom Blooper
07-03-10, 10:02 AM
if I don't change my mind along the way.

If you are in the habit of changing your mind along the way...you would be better off not wasting your time or a recruiters time....to try to work with you on your waivers....let someone who has a clean slate fill that slot and you just go on with your life until you can make the right call without second thoughts.

Until you have you legal issues squared away you can not join any branch of military service.:evilgrin:

clovis
07-03-10, 02:42 PM
If you are in the habit of changing your mind along the way...you would be better off not wasting your time or a recruiters time....to try to work with you on your waivers....let someone who has a clean slate fill that slot and you just go on with your life until you can make the right call without second thoughts.

Until you have you legal issues squared away you can not join any branch of military service.:evilgrin:

Wait wait wait, my recruiter CAN get me a waiver, or I simply can't join? I have no conviction, just the probation and the payment plan, and I can get the payment plan readjusted I only have to make a request to my P.O.

I'm not changing my mind about enlisting, that's a sure thing. If I can't do it now I'll do it the second I get my fines paid off. Its the amount of time that I stay in for that I'm unsure about.

Lynn2
07-03-10, 02:57 PM
"I have no conviction, just the probation and the payment plan"

How in the world can this be?

Can any PO or lawyer here explain this?

clovis
07-03-10, 03:05 PM
"I have no conviction, just the probation and the payment plan"

How in the world can this be?

Can any PO or lawyer here explain this?

Deferred adjudication.

clovis
07-03-10, 03:42 PM
... other than wanting to, play with the big boys, being soooo stoked, go to basic training, and getting your ass worked, I am totally lost as to what you want.

WTF was the question?

lol, am I being over enthusiastic?
I'm just excited I wanna do this!

Lisa 23
07-03-10, 03:59 PM
You're fines have to be paid in full before any recruiter will do anything with you. Then there's the waiver issue which may or may not get approved. We're not recruiters here, so none of the Marines who are going to answer your questions, know if a waiver will get approved or not, either.
Your best bet is to talk with a recuiter face-to-face.

Do a search on the site, or even the internet, for criminal history, as that topic has been covered before.

Zulu 36
07-03-10, 04:37 PM
Deferred adjudication.

OK, that's nice. But here is the reality of deferred adjudication. All that means is if you behave during your probationary period (and pay all fines/costs), the judge will order your conviction waived. No conviction will appear on your public record.

Yes, you were convicted (or pled guilty or no-contest - same thing) otherwise you wouldn't be on a deferred adjudication.

As far as the military (or any other potential employer) is concerned is that you were still arrested and still faced some form of legal punishment (probation/fines/costs). Your non-public record is still available to those who have proper need and authority to access it.

Now if you want to argue this was a juvenile case and not an adult case, it doesn't matter. As far as the Marine Corps is concerned, an arrest is an arrest, and a conviction is a conviction. Once your file is closed by the judge, you will still need a waiver to enlist in the Corps, which you may or may NOT get. That is above our pay grade.

Phantom Blooper
07-03-10, 04:51 PM
No judicial or LEO background... <br />
<br />
<br />
http://www.texasdefenselaw.com/recent_news/2005/08/some-warnings-about-deferred.html <br />
<br />
Some Warnings About Deferred Adjudication <br />
<br />
Many people have...

clovis
07-03-10, 05:20 PM
Alright...so there's a 50/50 chance of it being waived IF my recruiter applies. <br />
<br />
And naw, the UA thing isn't an issue I just was wondering if its like...how inactive people don't report in or get...

Phantom Blooper
07-03-10, 05:30 PM
Alright...so there's a 50/50 chance of it being waived IF my recruiter applies.

Monday....NO.

Next week....NO.

Next 5 month's 28 days...NO.

Next year...??????

The Marine Corps is looking for potential recruits that have NO dirty laundry to bring with them.

The questions that you ask are recruiter questions.....but unless Hades freezes over and the flood gates open again....you are low priority.

Get a serious synopsis of questions together and ask a recruiter!

Lisa 23
07-03-10, 05:47 PM
Thanks to all ya'll who gave SERIOUS answers I appreciate the help!

Yes, this does bother me. How about saying thanks Marines instead.

Quinbo
07-03-10, 10:34 PM
You seem to have some strange misconception of military service and college mixture. If you join active duty it is a 4X4 or 5X3 contract. That is 4 active and 4 inactive ready reserve. If you are some how mixing the idea of being in the reserves and going to college .... you still have to do the 1 weekend a month plus two weeks a year of training.

There is no way to just pick how long you are gonna serve. You do the whole contract. You don't just go to boot camp and then off to college. It doesn't work that way.

The Army has a fairly new program called try it for a year. Maybe you should try that route. A teenager that went from living in Texas to living in Hawaii suggests that you are probably a military brat... especially living in Ewa Beach. Maybe your parents can explain how it works.

clovis
07-03-10, 11:16 PM
You seem to have some strange misconception of military service and college mixture. If you join active duty it is a 4X4 or 5X3 contract. That is 4 active and 4 inactive ready reserve. If you are some how mixing the idea of being in the reserves and going to college .... you still have to do the 1 weekend a month plus two weeks a year of training.

There is no way to just pick how long you are gonna serve. You do the whole contract. You don't just go to boot camp and then off to college. It doesn't work that way.

The Army has a fairly new program called try it for a year. Maybe you should try that route. A teenager that went from living in Texas to living in Hawaii suggests that you are probably a military brat... especially living in Ewa Beach. Maybe your parents can explain how it works.

i understand the contract part, signing for 4 active and then either getting an extension or going to inactive. I guess I just don't understand the whole college part and how its worked in with time...

You guessed right, military brat all my life. My dads been in the army since i was a kid and my mom just joined a year or two ago. He's explained what he can to me but he says he doesn't want to give me the wrong info cause of the branch differences. He also said to never join the Army...or the Marines or any branch along with my mum, and now she's pushing for me to join the military.

There's a lot of conflicting views on me joining the military and while I realize my parents care about me and want me to have a stable life they confuse me more than they actually help. My pops said he wanted to be a Marine originally...love my dad to death man he'd be so proud if i made it in.

Phantom Blooper
07-04-10, 06:37 AM
"*****es like that is why niggas don't pay our species no mind, they don't respect us. Yo we just meat for male consumption, pieces of ass and pussy. Somethin pretty in lipstick and eyeliner that can suck a ****in cock.
*****es like that make us weak for what could be. If we all, sisters everywhere, black, white brown and yellow put our **** down and unified up front...you know the female race? MOBILIZE, BABY MOBILIZE. You feel me?"

YOU NEED TO GET RID OF THIS SIGNATURE ASAP!!!!!!!!! :evilgrin:

Quinbo
07-04-10, 08:29 AM
I agree with the SSgt .... fix the signature or else.

Wyoming
07-04-10, 09:14 AM
WTF on the signature. That is new.

I agree with Robert and Chuck.

Lynn2
07-04-10, 09:43 AM
I am way to old to know for sure. But I would bet this is a quote from a movie or a book.

And since I posted a quote from FMJ not all that long ago and some people had no clue what it meant and where it came from I do understand how these things can look.

All in all this sig shows poor judgement. But it may not show anything more than that.

Either way it should be removed

Wyoming
07-04-10, 09:55 AM
Methinks this 'clovis' is a split tail and this is one of those rap tune thingies.

Lynn2
07-04-10, 10:41 AM
Methinks this 'clovis' is a split tail and this is one of those rap tune thingies.

Well just proves that age thing. Rap thingie was not even on my list.

Old Marine
07-04-10, 10:47 AM
Yep, just what the Marine Corps needs, another Sea Lawyer.

SGT7477
07-04-10, 12:02 PM
Okay!
I'm 18, will be 19 in December just recently out of high school and I want to be a Marine for four years minimum 6 maximum, if I don't change my mind along the way.

Right now its really hard to get a job anywhere and I want to go to college too. I just can't decide if I should do two years within the service and owe four, or just do my 4-6 and pay for it when I get out. If I do school first WITHIN the service, am I reporting in? Am I doing PT? Drills? Random UA? If I go that route what is expected of me while I'm in school.

I also am on probation currently for something that happened while I was in Texas. Originally it was a felony, reduced to a misdemeanor, and then I got deferred adjudication which kept me from being convicted of ANYTHING. I'd be done with "probation" by November, except my fine and court fees came out to 1400. I've been struggling to look for work but I can't find any and thus cannot pay my fines. Can I still join up on probation? All I need to do is pay the fines but seeing as how the job market in Hawaii is quite slim I have not been able to do so.

I would very much like to be a Marine! If I'm gonna do military I want to do it for real. I want to make my military fambam proud of me (They said anything but Marines but I wanna play with the big boys) and earn the citizenship I was born with....and honestly I'm soooo stoked to go to basic training and get my ass worked!! :yes:

I don't have a whole lot of direction as far as what career I want, and I've never committed fully to anything in my life so this is going to be a huge, monstrous, scary hurdle to overcome which is why right now I'm setting the bar at 4-6 years.
The army has basic training, we have boot camp.:evilgrin:

clovis
07-04-10, 02:50 PM
Well just proves that age thing. Rap thingie was not even on my list.

...i dont even listen to rap...

Lynn2
07-04-10, 03:16 PM
...i dont even listen to rap...

Well just trying to look for an out for you other than someone being a racist fool.

You have been asked nicely. I'd not wait for a less than nice asking if I were you.

Otherwise you just go on to prove how little you would be wanted in the Corps little criminal.

clovis
07-04-10, 03:30 PM
Well just trying to look for an out for you other than someone being a racist fool.

You have been asked nicely. I'd not wait for a less than nice asking if I were you.

Otherwise you just go on to prove how little you would be wanted in the Corps little criminal.

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with racism and I don't understand how anyone would take that way unless they were TRYING to find something wrong with it.

Its less to do with race and more to do with the disgust for my generation of females who only want to be shaking ass to next to some ******* in a music video on MTV.

I am far from a criminal.

I'll be sure to let you all know when I graduate.

Wyoming
07-04-10, 03:51 PM
Ooooh, a split with an attitude.

Oh yeah, graduate what, 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th Battalion?

... and oh yeah2, it was racist. Besides that, I bet Mommy doesn't know you talk like that.

I see a BB in the making.

clovis
07-04-10, 07:58 PM
Ooooh, a split with an attitude.

Indeed.

Happy 4th of July anyway.

Phantom Blooper
07-05-10, 10:11 AM
Its less to do with race and more to do with the disgust for my generation of females who only want to be shaking ass to next to some ******* in a music video on MTV.

I am not going to debate what it was about or what it wasn't about about...it was and is inappropriate as a signature.

The verbiage and words used do not reflect well or speak well on the statement you used....about disgust of your generation.

If you are disgusted with the way your generation behaves the comments in your former signature.....is not showing it...

Is there a concealed message in there somewhere?

To me it seems that you should stop watching MTV and find something else more constructive to take up your time....if this is all that it gives you.

Then you would not have to show your distaste for your generation.....

Then you can find appropriate/constructive/alternative ways to display your distaste.

If the signature was of your own writing then you need to again take a strong look at the person in the mirror that you see everyday.....

Because the language was very inappropriate.

The posts and profiles on this site are public and can be read by anyone.

The Marine Corps is a very diverse organization with males and females of every skin color and shade...nationality...ethinticity...creed...econom ic and skill levels.

We are not virgins...celibate....or living in the stone age....so we know what the words mean...even when the site censor blocked them with *****'s.

Most people pay your "species" mind.....in the positive light.....when you behave in a manner that deserves to be paid attention to.

The negativity comes out in both species when the verbal and written garbage is thrown and spewed in the streets for all to acknowledge.

So if you don't want to be dissed for verbal/written littering or throwing out garbage....police call your area and square it away!

Quit arguing and put this energy into going to see the recruiter and legal system and straightening out your life!

:evilgrin:

Sgt Leprechaun
07-05-10, 06:41 PM
Annnnd, we're done here.