PDA

View Full Version : RE: For those with history of inhaler use

jake242
07-01-10, 07:03 PM
Hey Draco, For some reason I could not respond on your post so I am just responding here. I talked with a recruiter last October and told him my situation which is the following:

I used an inhaler before the age of 13 because I had allergies and played sports during the season my allergies were bad so the doctors issued me an inhaler. I did not use my inhaler past the age of 13 but my mother still kept getting prescriptions filled for the inhaler until I was 16 years old (typical mother move worrying and wanting to be prepared for the worst I guess). Anyways, My recruiter told me about getting a PFT (Pulmonary function test) which can test if you have asthma or not and if those results were good he could send that in to the medical staff. He also told me there was a test performed through the military that costs a couple thousand dollars I guess which can prove you do not have asthma. I do not know all the details about this because I left it at that and decided to finish up college this fall and then try to join afterwords. If I were you maybe try out that pulmonary function test and just keep running because my recruiter was interested to know what my 3 mile time was. Its my dream to join as well and it sucks if something that does not affect you now bites you in the a$$. I have herd comments such as, "if you can run the three miles in the right time then you do not have asthma in my eyes" from current marines. Two people I know in the military, one a Marine and another in the Army have said to just lie and say you never had asthma because they will not find out if you do not have any problems with it now. That just scares me because of the trouble you can get into. I just dont get how they can disqualify people even if PFT tests check out and it isnt a problem now...sux. Ok, Im done ranting.

jake242
07-01-10, 07:05 PM
Marine*

Sgt Leprechaun
07-02-10, 12:08 AM
Because, alas, Asthma is one of those nasty little things that might *seem* like it's gone away, but the military has discovered, through hard experience, that it comes back, sometimes with a...