PDA

View Full Version : 39 Years

Zulu 36
07-01-10, 02:13 PM
39 years ago today I stepped onto the yellow footprints. It was the real start to a very adventurous life.

Semper Fi! :flag:

DrZ
07-01-10, 03:33 PM
39 years ago today I stepped onto the yellow footprints. It was the real start to a very adventurous life.

Semper Fi! :flag:

Zulu,
41 years and 48 hours ago...I stepped on the footprints. 41 years and 47 hours and 58 minutes ago.... I screwed up and started teaching the platoon how to do squat thrusts for the next hour!

Ahhhhhh...damn... the good old days!

hbharrison
07-01-10, 04:21 PM
Been 45 years ago now for me and I still remember those damn squat thrusts had no idea a person could that many in a day until I got there, WOW. Did not think I was going to make it at first but now I are one. United States Marine and damn it shure feels good to know I am such good company of Brothers, Sisters and Docs. Have a great day, Have a great day.

Izzame2
07-01-10, 04:34 PM
Congrats on the Yellow footprints anniversary

Oh yes do I remember the bends and thrusts especially the ones done at close interval in the sand pits at San Diego.You not only got kicked in the face by the guy in front of you but, you also got a face and mouth full of sand.

Mongoose
07-01-10, 04:59 PM
43 years and counting. Never forget laying on our belly and smimming in the sand at M.C.R.D.

Zulu 36
07-01-10, 05:02 PM
Zulu,
41 years and 48 hours ago...I stepped on the footprints. 41 years and 47 hours and 58 minutes ago.... I screwed up and started teaching the platoon how to do squat thrusts for the next hour!

Ahhhhhh...damn... the good old days!

I was lucky to not be singled out that first few days. There was a really long-haired hippy type that took most of the brunt. Plus I had been in the Civil Air Patrol and knew my military left from military right. So the Receiving DIs mostly picked on the screw-ups.

My military "skills" brought attention later when we picked up.

Ah, the memories. :sick:

Zulu 36
07-01-10, 05:08 PM
Congrats on the Yellow footprints anniversary

Oh yes do I remember the bends and thrusts especially the ones done at close interval in the sand pits at San Diego.You not only got kicked in the face by the guy in front of you but, you also got a face and mouth full of sand.

Or, they formed us for PT in the pits and we had to put our M-14s down in the sand too. After a million or so bends and thrusts, the rifles were totally buried, and you had shifted sideways and back/forward a rifle or two from yours. Then we got five minutes to find and clean our rifles for inspection. Never made it. Of course.

Ah, the painful memories. :evilgrin::sick:

Quinbo
07-01-10, 05:48 PM
I'm a boot!
25 years ago for me and some change. Visitors Sunday we were about 2 weeks away from graduating and found ourselves in the pit once again. Stack arms and do the sugar cookie. Fall in and the mad scramble of grabbing your rifle one of the recruits took a serious gash from the front sight post of an M-16. Bunch of old ladies walking around asked if that was normal? Heck yea.... the more we bleed in peace time the less we bleed in war.

I'm telling ya that guy had a slash on his head that was bleeding like hell. We're all standing there breathing like a freight train going up hill. Them ole ladies bout laid an egg. Mothers of America stay the hell away from our training!

There was a complaint and platoon interviews and all that dumb chit. To the man it was private doesn't know. Crying towels aren't standard issue.

redman1
07-01-10, 05:49 PM
42 Years this month, Ah the good old days
Semper Fi Redman

redman1
07-01-10, 05:52 PM
We had a Marine at the Rifle range forget to put his cartridge clip in his bolt action for safety and the DI took the M-14 and cocked it on his head about 5 times and blood was running all down his face. Nobody ever forgot again!!!!!!!!!!!
Like Bob Hope said Thanks For The Memories.
Like I said the good old days it wouldn't happen today.
Semper Fi Redman

ChuckH
07-01-10, 07:11 PM
42 years ago last Feb. for me....:cool:

JRHD72
07-01-10, 07:30 PM
8-14-72

Old Marine
07-01-10, 08:55 PM
We had a Marine at the Rifle range forget to put his cartridge clip in his bolt action for safety and the DI took the M-14 and cocked it on his head about 5 times and blood was running all down his face. Nobody ever forgot again!!!!!!!!!!!
Like Bob Hope said Thanks For The Memories.
Like I said the good old days it wouldn't happen today.
Semper Fi Redman

That would never happen in the Marine Corps. The SOP for Recruit Training forbids it.:evilgrin:

Old Marine
07-01-10, 09:03 PM
Each and every day of my life as a Marine Recruit brought unheard of experiences that I vividly remember to this day. When we were put in the rack at taps, I could hardly wait for the next morning to arrive. It's no wonder Marines love the Corps so much, and are very proud to tell anyone who will listen that we are U.S. Marines and you can sleep well tonight because somewhere in the world a Marine is on watch.

DrZ
07-01-10, 09:56 PM
Each and every day of my life as a Marine Recruit brought unheard of experiences that I vividly remember to this day. When we were put in the rack at taps, I could hardly wait for the next morning to arrive. It's no wonder Marines love the Corps so much, and are very proud to tell anyone who will listen that we are U.S. Marines and you can sleep well tonight because somewhere in the world a Marine is on watch.

Man.... who knew there were so many of us old goats running around here.

Gentlemen.... you have been...are now...and will always be my brothers.

firedog974
07-01-10, 10:15 PM
Congrats to all you old school Marines.....you all paved a path for every future Marine. I have an enormous amount of respect for all of you. Sept 27th will be 13 years for me since stepping on the footprints. I still remember it like it was yesterday. Semper Fi :flag:

Wyoming
07-01-10, 10:23 PM
August '65. Can't do the math with a scotch in me hand.

Hey John, that little lovely have more time in than you?

Wrench3516
07-01-10, 10:49 PM
:beer: 03:30-12/27/63 I like it, I love it, I want some more of it!!!!

kman311
07-01-10, 11:06 PM
Nov 14 1983
Semper Fi to you all

DocGreek
07-01-10, 11:20 PM
08/29/1966....0200, USNTC, San Diego....NO yellow footprints!! US NAVY HOSPITAL CORPS SCHOOL, with instructor HMC Charrette, Cong. Medal of Honor...Korea.
My FMF duty changed my life forever....and I'm one PROUD SQUID!!!.....:flag:
SEMPER FI.....Doc Greek.....:iwo:

maspotente2
07-02-10, 06:58 AM
Its been 37 years ago for me this month. Although I didn't graduate until December. After the initial PFT...I took a 3 month vacation at the MCRD Health (Hell) Spa aka the "Fat Farm" (P.C.P.). Joined a forming platoon in September and graduated in December. It was the best 6 months of my life! Semper Fi...OoRah!!!

FPM
07-02-10, 07:30 AM
Aug. 21st 1975

:flag:

ese4mc
07-02-10, 07:31 AM
:D--7/31/59--The age old question "what did I do"--the start of a love / hate relationship--never once hated,but loved,still loved & will love till the day I die--"get some" :flag::usmc:

DrZ
07-02-10, 07:33 AM
I was lucky to not be singled out that first few days. There was a really long-haired hippy type that took most of the brunt. Plus I had been in the Civil Air Patrol and knew my military left from military right. So the Receiving DIs mostly picked on the screw-ups.

My military "skills" brought attention later when we picked up.

Ah, the memories. :sick:

Let's see...did I screw up? Uhhhhhhhhhh.... sneezing in the DIs face? Yep... I was that poor soul. Still amazed he let me live! LOL!

BJKpfaller
07-02-10, 07:38 AM
45 years ago as of last feb. for me. I never knew I could hurt so much and still keep going. This has served me well in civilian life. Even as and old fart I can still work some of these young slackers into the gtround!!! Age and treachery beats youth and enthusiasim everytime!!!

Troutzilla
07-02-10, 08:05 AM
41 years , 2 months and 1 day....San Diego airport, I made the mistake of trying to help the recruit next to me up off the deck.....we BOTH stared up in bewilderment at the D.I. The guy lit up a smoke in formation...I learned to pay closer attention before I left the airport.

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/1686/paintedyellowfootsteps.jpg

Semper Fi

:flag:

TazMatt
07-02-10, 08:07 AM
Sept 2 2010 will be forty one years for me since I first visited Paradise Island. Been a Marine ever since 10 Nov.69

lastcigar
07-02-10, 08:21 AM
44 years as of this last June 6th. Went there, did that, got a new t shirt the other day...not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine.

SGT7477
07-02-10, 10:21 AM
36 years ago, semper Fidelis to you all.