PDA

View Full Version : Going back to MEPS tomorrow morning.

JEBoyle
06-30-10, 10:56 PM
Marines,

I am going back to MEPS tomorrow morning to swear in, pick a job, and receive date for boot camp.

I am looking forward to shipping out as soon as possible, but also with a job I am interested in. I was told there was a chance to a September date with two Engineer type jobs. ( I believe they were called Engineer Option and Command Center Technician) Another option was to wait almost a year for an Intelligence job. I am thinking I would like that the most but a year wait doesn't sit well.

Today around 3pm I received a phone call from my recruiter telling me that I may not be able to get any of the September slots. My question is this; what are the chances that the Intelligence job ship date might get pushed up? Also, how hard would it be to get that same Intelligence spot after I become a Marine? Would I have to wait four years to transfer to the Intelligence side?

Don't get me wrong, I understand that first and foremost my job (should I earn the title of Marine) is Rifleman. But I also would like to be a part of something I find very interesting if I can.

Thanks ahead of time, I know I might receive all of these answers in a few hours, but if you Marine could give me any insight I would greatly appreciate it. I am very much looking forward to the challenge of (again, after earning it) calling myself a Marine.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-02-10, 12:02 AM
You've got to do what seems right for you. If nothing appeals, then I would wait, unless you are jobless/homeless. But that's just me.

A lat move isn't possible until you've done an enlistment, usually. That's 4 years away. A long time to something you really don't want to do.....