PDA

View Full Version : very minor spinal curvature and MEPS?

tt200700
06-30-10, 02:42 PM
Hello I a 17 year old male and currently trying to join the Marine Corps DEP, I have MEPS in around a week and just for fun decided to talk to my cousin who is a chiropractor. I've been making sure I have no problems that would DQ me at MEPS as i want to be a Marine (preferably infantry) more than anything I have ever wanted before. She did xrays on my back and other things and the only thing she noticed was there was a VERY minor curvature of my spine that she said isnt even close enough to be called scoliosis. I had her do the bend test to see if she could see or feel it and she said that it would be really hard to detect and she couldnt even really tell if there was anything there. My question is, should i just go to MEPS without mentioning anything about it to my recruiter since it causes me no pain while working out and since its very hard to detect and not even considered a problem? And if I did mention it (and possibly got a waiver, even though i doubt one would be needed) would I still be able to get infantry as my MOS?

RPSmith
06-30-10, 03:13 PM
Since you were never diagnosed with a condition, and its never given you any sort of problem, then there's no reason to mention it at MEPS.

The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction are an authenticated history of:

Current deviation or curvature of spine (737) from normal alignment, structure, or function is disqualifying if:

(1) It prevents the individual from following a physically active vocation in civilian life.

(2) It interferes with the proper wearing of a uniform or military equipment.

(3) It is symptomatic.

(4) There is lumbar scoliosis greater than 20 degrees, thoracic scoliosis greater than 30 degrees, or kyphosis and lordosis greater than 55 degrees when measured by the Cobb method. d. History of congenital fusion (756.15), involving more than two vertebral bodies is disqualifying. Any surgical fusion of spinal vertebrae (P81.0) is disqualifying.

...And just for future reference, it's probably not in your best interest to go looking for ways to get yourself DQ'd. As long as you haven't been diagnosed with anything in the past, you should be good to go. If you have any sort of disqualifying condition, the doctors at MEPS will find it for you.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-01-10, 11:55 PM
Normally, you should disclose EVERYTHING (and you'll be told to do so). However, this sounds like a case of over-worry about something you didn't even know existed prior to your 'just for fun'(????) visit.

If you've never been seen, it's never been a problem or an issue, and you've never been diagnosed, or had back problems, it's NOT a problem, unless you make it one.

I wouldn't consider it mentionable at this point

tt200700
07-02-10, 01:33 AM
Normally, you should disclose EVERYTHING (and you'll be told to do so). However, this sounds like a case of over-worry about something you didn't even know existed prior to your 'just for fun'(????) visit.

If you've never been seen, it's never been a problem or an issue, and you've never been diagnosed, or had back problems, it's NOT a problem, unless you make it one.

I wouldn't consider it mentionable at this point

Thank you very much, both of you. And my cousin just likes to do chiropractor stuff on me everytime I visit (such as adjusting and all that). I will admit I am worrying about it as joining the Marine Corps is my dream and it would crush my dream if i was DQd because of a minor problem like that, that doesnt even bother me. If they do happen to find it, is there a chance they would not DQ me because of it and just let me continue through MEPS?

Sgt Leprechaun
07-02-10, 02:08 AM
I doubt it, but you just do not know until you go....