PDA

View Full Version : GERD and Enlistment

BrewedSince88
06-29-10, 04:45 PM
Hello Marines,

I've been a forum lurker on this site for quite a while, reading posts and gaining insight from a lot of you - and for that - thanks!

I'm contemplating on enlisting. However I have a few concerns, that I'm getting conflicting information from two different recruiters. I hope to find some resolve on here, in addition to speaking with a new, third, recruiter this weekend.

I have a hiatel hernia and GERD (which leads to Barretts Disease - Cancer of the Esophagus/stomach lining) - which is basically sever acid reflux. The "schphicter" on the top of my stomach doesn't close all the way, which allows acid from my stomach to come up into my throat. My esophagus looked like swiss cheese when I was 18, before I was put on Omeprozale.

Recruiter #1 Told me a lot of stuff that I knew was the gloss and shine - even telling me he could garauntee what I would be doing job-wise in the USMC. Coming from a Police and Millitary family, I found that very, very, VERY hard to believe that he could "garauntee" anything. As far as I know, from my brother and my dad, the US Govt puts you where they want/need you. I also stopped trusting/talking to him after he was calling me a moron in front of my friends at a Going off to boot camp party for wanting to join the USMC, since at the time I was 18, making more than $34k/year (tacky to put, but I don't know how else to explain, my apologies).

So I stopped contacting him, and decided to work on my degrees at school. A little under a year later, I got in touch with Recruiter #2.

Recruiter #2 told me that he would "cover" for me on his end for medical, but once I got to MEPS I wound be "found out" and D/Q'd for service due to the hernia/GERD, etc. However, after spending lots of time going through the boards, I've read that many of you say that MEPs doesn't determine if you are D/Q'd or not - they only determine if you are fit (right then and there) for service, etc.

I guess I'm looking for any clarification/advice I should ask for this weekend when I speak to the third recruiter.

At some point this year, I'm getting the hernia corrected, which my doctor says will reduce the Acid and solve the "open valve" issue that lets the acid come up and burn. Because of this, running is HORRIBLE for me - as I'm constantly spitting, every 5 seconds, my stomach acid. Gross, I know.

From what I also read, spitting isn't allowed while running in Boot Camp - Perhaps I'm wrong?

I searched and found a thread on Acid Reflux, and the majority of responders said that it wouldn't be a problem.

What's your take? I appreciate the time you took in reading and/or replying to this.

Thanks for serving, Marines.

RPSmith
06-29-10, 04:58 PM
The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction are an authenticated history of:

Current or history of esophageal disease, including, but not limited to ulceration, varices, fistula, achalasia, or Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) (530.81), or complications from GERD including stricture, or maintenance on acid suppression medication, or other dysmotility disorders; chronic, or recurrent esophagitis (530.1), is disqualifying.

Current or history of reactive airway disease associated with GERD is disqualifying. Current or history of dysmotility disorders, chronic, or recurrent esophagitis (530) is disqualifying.

History of surgical correction for GERD within 6 months is disqualifying. (P42 esophageal correction, P43 stomach correction and P45 intestinal correction.)

Basically, if you're allowed to go to MEPS, you'll be DQ'd during the physical, and your proccessing will stop there. You can request a medical wavier, for which you will need ALL of your medical records concerning the issue.

Whatever happens, best of luck to you!

BrewedSince88
06-29-10, 05:21 PM
The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction are an authenticated history of:

Current or history of esophageal disease, including, but not limited to ulceration, varices, fistula, achalasia, or Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) (530.81), or complications from GERD including stricture, or maintenance on acid suppression medication, or other dysmotility disorders; chronic, or recurrent esophagitis (530.1), is disqualifying.

Current or history of reactive airway disease associated with GERD is disqualifying. Current or history of dysmotility disorders, chronic, or recurrent esophagitis (530) is disqualifying.

History of surgical correction for GERD within 6 months is disqualifying. (P42 esophageal correction, P43 stomach correction and P45 intestinal correction.)

Basically, if you're allowed to go to MEPS, you'll be DQ'd during the physical, and your proccessing will stop there. You can request a medical wavier, for which you will need ALL of your medical records concerning the issue.

Whatever happens, best of luck to you!

SHOOOT! Wow, I guess you just answered my question. Thank you very much. That's a shame.

Based on what you provided, it sounds like the only way I COULD enlist AFTER 6 months of corrective surgery, but then after re-reading this info, the first paragraph seems to negate that.

Darn. Well, like I said - much appreciated, sir.

RPSmith
06-29-10, 05:24 PM
You're welcome, and don't forget - You can always apply for a medical waiver.
I actually enlisted with one. However, you typically have to be able to prove that your condition won't be aggrivated by military service.

Rocky C
06-29-10, 06:00 PM
I actually enlisted with one. However, you typically have to be able to prove that your condition won't be aggrivated by military service.

Excellent Point!!!

tdrt
06-29-10, 06:25 PM
Get the surgery, wait 6 months or month, then see what happens. Don't be so quick to give up.

BrewedSince88
06-30-10, 12:12 AM

Get the surgery, wait 6 months or month, then see what happens. Don't be so quick to give up.

Sounds good. I will meet up this weekend with the recruiter and ask about the medical waiver.

Thanks, Marines - I appreciate your help/support with this.

Phantom Blooper
06-30-10, 06:10 AM
I had the surgery in 2004 for Barrett's Esophagus.

They just did a redo and bowel resection because it recurred in October 2009 with surgery in February this year.

I am still having complication and it may be based on age and body rejecting some things that was done....I will know more and probally have another surgery after the 7th of July when more tests are performed to agree with the findings of the previous tests.

Mine was open surgery 5 times and may be going for 6.

Hopefully they can do yours laparoscopic....

The medications that you take for your stomach more than likely will never go away....it will be a cross to bear to the grave....then again you never know.

That being said....you can try with with waivers....however you will be looking at two waivers...one for the surgery and two for the meds.

And you will not be able to take the medications in boot camp if you needed to.

I am not trying to be a soothsayer....but what you have is a potentially serious condition and is no longer a Tums...Rolaids or Beano quick fix.....

So look long and hard into seeing if what you are about to go through that you can physically adapt to the strenuous activity that that the Marine Corps can throw at you daily in recruit training and the fleet.

Before getting any surgery...research on the web and read..read...read...

Mine was to far progressed to do any quick fixes....I hope that you have a better outcome with it.

Good luck!