PDA

View Full Version : Lat moving to 2673, questions.

bvbrandon
06-29-10, 04:12 PM
Is this generally a fast filling MOS? I wont put my paperwork in until early 2011.
As a lat mover will I get a language choice within the 73's?

WXSgt
06-29-10, 04:27 PM
why do you want to leave metoc? and sometimes you can get a preference but as your latmoving you probably wont from whats happened here at 1ST Intel

bvbrandon
06-29-10, 05:07 PM
To be honest its a good job but it just doesn't excite me like it did before.

WXSgt
06-29-10, 05:12 PM
lol ok ya im out here at intel on pendleton just got into it

haebyungdae
06-29-10, 08:33 PM
I would say put in your paperwork as soon as the fiscal year starts because even though 2673 is one of those MOS's that always critical, boat spaces have been filling up quick within the last couple years and you don't want to miss out on your bonus. As for picking the language, you can always query your CRS as to the possibility of this, but if not then you will get assigned your language when you get to DLI, either Korean or Chinese if you go 2673.

sk8inghunny
06-11-11, 11:28 AM
Where can I learn more about this MOS - my son's recruiter wants him to go into this field due to 1) it being available right now and 2) his asvab score.
He did mention he would need to take more tests at MEPS before being given this MOS - any ideas what those would be? Also, where are these MOS's located - US, other countries? Any information would be helpful as it is all new to us.

haebyungdae
06-11-11, 02:06 PM
The only other test he would have to take at MEPS is the DLAB, which is a test designed to test someones aptitude for learning foreign languages. As for where you can go as a linguist, you can end up anywhere; stateside and overseas. I would highly recommend the linguist MOS's because you will do some cool things and have great opportunities within the Marine Corps and after you get out.

sk8inghunny
06-11-11, 02:28 PM
Would you mind elaborating on the "cool" things you'll do...I can only imagine, and it sounds like an AMAZING career choice....however, my husband (his father) doesn't really 'get it' and thinks it would be better to be a mechanic, work on airplanes, or tanks etc. My son has a slight interest in that, but I know my husband is choosing that route simply because he is into mechanic work as a hobby....I don't think it would be an exciting career choice for our son...and that's what he's after is something new, different, exciting, and also he's interested in traveling...not sure about the opportunities there but I'd really love to hear more...so that I can share the pros and cons with my husband and son. he thought 2673 sounded really cool even though a desk job type career never interested him. So much to learn. :)

haebyungdae
06-11-11, 10:11 PM
Elaborating is very difficult, but one thing that can be said is that the things your son could do will range from working on the ground with the infantry or supporting the warfighters to working jointly with the other services up to the national level. Mechanics are always needed both in the military and the civilian sector, and if that route is taken it is very possible to take the skills learned and use them once he is out. However, the skills that you would learn from being a linguist and the experience gained from being a military linguist translates well into becoming a government contractor/employee. Which is a little more stable of a job then getting a regular civilian job, usually. Really what it comes down to is what your son wants to do as there are pros and cons to every single MOS in the Marine Corps. And, neither is no better then the other, all are needed and teach you some sort of valuable skill.