PDA

View Full Version : minor complaint about arrival at boot camp

nobawdy
06-29-10, 02:36 AM
I'm not sure where else this can go, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

A couple of days ago I saw a Marine Corps recruit video on netflix, and one of the things I noticed was shortly after arrival at bootcamp, the recruits had to call their family and give them a scripted message stating that they made it ok, "don't send me anything", etc.

The only problem with this is I don't actually like the members of my immediate family, at all, so I don't even care how worried they may be. Is it necessary that I call them upon arrival?

josephd
06-29-10, 02:41 AM
I'm not sure where else this can go, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

A couple of days ago I saw a Marine Corps recruit video on netflix, and one of the things I noticed was shortly after arrival at bootcamp, the recruits had to call their family and give them a scripted message stating that they made it ok, "don't send me anything", etc.

The only problem with this is I don't actually like the members of my immediate family, at all, so I don't even care how worried they may be. Is it necessary that I call them upon arrival?

you may get lucky like myself and not get a phone call at all

nobawdy
06-29-10, 02:57 AM
were you at san diego or parris island?

josephd
06-29-10, 03:00 AM
San Diego....a bunch of other recruits in my receiving platoon got theirs but a handful of us never did. I also never received any of my mail until 3rd phase. But guess what, I made it out alive and as a Marine.

Tookie22
06-29-10, 03:57 AM
you wont have a choice. Not like you can say.."but Sir this recruit doesnt want a phone call." All Im saying is that they dont check if someone is on the other line. Or enjoy your phone call and call a random number.

gonzo4
06-29-10, 04:33 AM
I couldn't get ahold of my mom during that phone call. I remember panicing and I called my best friend. She answered an during the whole little schpeel she was telling me how she is proud etc. It doesn't have to be a family member but you are gonna want that call. It's 30 sec but its soooo worth it.

ritter
06-29-10, 05:36 AM
I don't get a phone call when I arrived at MCRD SD, but then again I didn't really care.

TJR1070
06-29-10, 08:35 AM
If you have complaints now then I'm sure you'll be really ticked off once you get there.

WXSgt
06-29-10, 09:37 AM
lol i called my gf at the time as i couldnt reach my parents. I however arrived with 4 others and was not given the scripted message

RPSmith
06-29-10, 10:12 AM
No, you're unique, and even though everyone else in your platoon has to do something, you don't!

Warcrazy
06-29-10, 11:09 AM
Honestly, I'm sure you could get away with pretending to call someone.

Vandrel
06-29-10, 12:18 PM
I don't get a phone call when I arrived at MCRD SD, but then again I didn't really care.

I made a call to my mom, but.... I didn't really care if I did or didn't, I just wanted to **** some **** up

FattyTheFerret
06-30-10, 12:09 AM
You can call whoever you want. You can call a pizza hut if you want. They're not going to care too much.

You will have to list someone as your next of kin during the enlistment process, though. It may cause you a bit of a headache since they try to demand that it has to be someone related by blood or a spouse but it's a load of bull. Under next of kin "Other (OT)" is an option. As long as you have at least one acquaintance just list that person and give them a call when you get there.

ameriken
06-30-10, 11:35 PM
Whether you like them or not, show some maturity and respect and just make the call. It's only 30 seconds and it's just a matter-of-fact non-emotional kind of call. When you look back on it, you'll be glad you did.

Make the call, get it done and over with, then focus on graduating. One lousy 30 second phone call won't kill you.

nobawdy
07-01-10, 12:29 AM
Whether you like them or not, show some maturity and respect
i'm not sure how "maturity" and "respect" have anything to do with this.

Make the call, get it done and over with, then focus on graduating. One lousy 30 second phone call won't kill you.
I would appreciate if if you wouldn't make your opinion on what I should do and just answer the question, if you can answer it. But I think I got good enough answers from the others.

josephd
07-01-10, 02:37 AM

I would appreciate if if you wouldn't make your opinion on what I should do and just answer the question, if you can answer it. But I think I got good enough answers from the others.

while I agree with on this and it does show some maturity that you don't need or want the phone call....

watch how you speak with us Marines, especially an NCO

Wyoming
07-01-10, 08:19 AM

Way to go. Good start on the future.:thumbdown

I can't wait to hear your next little drama queen question!!

Lisa 23
07-01-10, 08:56 AM
You asked for help with your delima, and you got answers. If you don't like an answer that was given, no need to go off on a Marine for that. Show some RESPECT there wannabe.
I would agree with Ameriken...make the call home. You don't want you parents getting in-touch with your recruiter, who will then get in-touch with your Drill Instructors, and ask why you haven't called home. They will not care what your reasons are. And believe me, you DO NOT want to be standing tall in front of your Drill Instructors getting your a$$ chewed out in front of everyone just because you're to stubborn to give your parents a 10 second phone call to let them know you arrived at MCRD OK. You don't even get to talk to them. There's a script on the wall by the phones....you say what you have to and that's it. Now hard hard is that.

No need to make such a big deal out of something so simple.

ameriken
07-01-10, 10:45 AM

I would appreciate if if you wouldn't make your opinion on what I should do and just answer the question, if you can answer it.

I answered it. It's just not the answer you wanted to hear. You asked if it was necessary to make the call. I answered and said yes it is necessary. If you dont want my opinion, dont ask for opinions on a public forum. If you ask for opinions, then expect opinions that you dont want to hear.

You're not sure how maturity and respect have anything to do with this? One day in the future you will. "I dont like the members of my family" is not a mature response, especially over a 30 second call. No one said you have to like them, just respect them. We're not talking about you having to kiss anyone's a*s or write a major dissertation on why you love your family.

This is a lousy frigging 30 second call that says "I'm here". Just do it and get over it.

thewookie
07-01-10, 10:50 AM
Aah-mazing....:devious:

nobawdy
07-01-10, 11:53 AM
Way to go. Good start on the future.:thumbdown

I can't wait to hear your next little drama queen question!!
lol .

nobawdy
07-01-10, 11:57 AM
I answered it. It's just not the answer you wanted to hear. You asked if it was necessary to make the call.
No, you didn't answer it. But I really do appreciate you trying.

Zulu 36
07-01-10, 01:11 PM
Geeze, this clown is stubborn, just like another wanna-be here.

Fine, refuse to make a phone call. Go ahead. Show the DIs what kind of real man you are. I double-dog-dare you. Refuse to obey a lawful order. Please.

I just wish I could be there to watch the resulting show.

nobawdy
07-01-10, 01:14 PM
Fine, refuse to make a phone call. Go ahead. Show the DIs what kind of real man you are. I double-dog-dare you. Refuse to obey a lawful order. Please.
Refusing to call someone when ordered to? I never said I would do that

Zulu 36
07-01-10, 01:31 PM
Refusing to call someone when ordered to? I never said I would do that

Then why do you keep back-talking the Marines here?

Just say "Aye, aye, Sergeant" and shut up.

TJR1070
07-01-10, 01:38 PM
I think this is Fatty's poolee screen name.

Seriously don't call your parents I'm sure with the attitude you have they have had enough with your dumb azz already anyway. By the way perfect screen name for you, we are Marines and you are nobody, so don't go away mad just go away.

nobawdy
07-01-10, 01:44 PM
Then why do you keep back-talking the Marines here?
did i? all i pointed out was that ameriken didn't actually answer the question. If it's common for Marines to get angry having that pointed out to them, I will remember to never make that mistake again.

Zulu 36
07-01-10, 01:47 PM
I'm calling in a nine-line for the black helos.

thewookie
07-01-10, 02:19 PM
did i? all i pointed out was that ameriken didn't actually answer the question. If it's common for Marines to get angry having that pointed out to them, I will remember to never make that mistake again.

WHO are you -- that's right, nobody.

Ameriken can tell you anything he wants; too freeking bad if you don't like it, this is a Marine Veteran's website and you are just a nobody visitor.

Remember this too, if you can't take criticism on the web then you are really going to have trouble at bootcamp.

So shut your soup cooler and go away you miserable little wanna bee.

Danny C Smith
07-01-10, 02:45 PM
Anger?

My very young friend.
IF you even make it to Boot.
IF you even have the cojones to get on the plane.
IF you even make it to the Yellow Foot Prints.
YOU are in for a very rude awakening.:evilgrin:
Anger will be in your face every second of your little life 24/7 for 3 months!
Not to mention SOI and then the Fleet.
You may want to rethink your options.
BTW, You talk to a SGT. that way anywhere in the Corps?
LOL! I'd buy tickets to see that.:thumbup:
Heck, give it a shot.

nobawdy
07-01-10, 02:54 PM
Ameriken can tell you anything he wants; too freeking bad if you don't like it, this is a Marine Veteran's website and you are just a nobody visitor.
Of course he can. But I'm glad you have admitted that not only will you defend a Marine after one points out something he did wrong, you will actually get mad at the person pointing it out.

in other words, when Marines are wrong, they're actually right, and when non-Marines are right, they're actually wrong.

Remember this too, if you can't take criticism on the web then you are really going to have trouble at bootcamp.
Oh, this is not criticism at all. What you are displaying is reading comprehension problems. Does the Marine Corps offer English classes?

nobawdy
07-01-10, 03:12 PM
BTW, You talk to a SGT. that way anywhere in the Corps?
No, why?

DrZ
07-01-10, 03:23 PM

You got a phone call? :scared: On the first day of boot? LOL. We were issued our gear, packed up our stuff. WROTE a note the the parents that said we arrived safely and don't send anything. Our course our first day at boot turned into 48 hours also!

thewookie
07-01-10, 04:01 PM
Does the Marine Corps offer English classes?

You're a clown. A wanna bee, family-less, know nothing with a smart attitude... see how far that gets you.

You comprehend that, nobody.

Lisa 23
07-01-10, 04:11 PM
[Poolee Rules] Attention New Poolee & Wannabe Members

Rule Five be courteous at all times with your peers and especially with Marines, if you verbally attack someone you will be dealt with severely and disrespect to a Marine will not be tolerated!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048&page=15

Read This Before Posting In This Section!!!!!!

7. No crying, please. If you are posting here, you must want to be a Marine. If one of our answers hurts your feelings or you feel we are not treating you nicely, you may want to consider a different career. If you cannot handle things said to you on the internet, you will not survive in our Corps. Wal-mart is always accepting applications.

8. Expect respect until you disrespect. Marines follow a tradition of mentorship which is the reason why most of us answer questions here. If we perceive a bad attitude in your correspondence with us, you may become familiar with more of our traditions, hostility and belligerence. Don’t go away mad. Just go away. The site administrator will expedite your departure.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59447

Phantom Blooper
07-01-10, 04:20 PM
You comprehend that, nobody.

CORRECTION: You comprehend that, no ballzy?:evilgrin:

nobawdy
07-01-10, 05:40 PM
7. No crying, please. If you are posting here, you must want to be a Marine. If one of our answers hurts your feelings or you feel we are not treating you nicely, you may want to consider a different career. If you cannot handle things said to you on the internet, you will not survive in our Corps. Wal-mart is always accepting applications.
Where did I imply I couldn't handle what's being said? Where does it show my feelings were hurt?

josephd
07-01-10, 07:36 PM
Where did I imply I couldn't handle what's being said? Where does it show my feelings were hurt?

you are not going to win here, make your phone call or don't make your phone call none of us here care. We are all here to help out as much as possible beyond that once you step on those yellow footprints its all up to you.

This seems to be a common thing among poolees and wannabes posting here, wanting all the advice in the world on how to become a ricky recon gung ho poster Marine but when any Marine tells you how things really work you gaff it off and tell us otherwise.:evilgrin:

/rant

:marine:

nobawdy
07-01-10, 07:56 PM
you are not going to win here
Fortunately for me none of this was about winning.

but when any Marine tells you how things really work
He did no such thing.

DrZ
07-01-10, 07:59 PM

Here is the straight scoop. The people who are here, willing and able to answer your question(s), have been through the grinder. We have had our a$$es kicked and been read the riot act more times than most of us can remember. We come here to BS with our brothers and sisters and to offer some support and assistance to potential future Marines.

I have noticed a trend by some people to show little or no respect to the people who are giving freely of their time in an attempt to answer questions concerning what they (we) have already experienced.

My suggestion to you...and to others who read this... Remember... these people have already paid their dues. Many of us have paid in blood, sweat, and yes... tears. We have said goodbye to too many of our brothers and sisters in way too many foreign lands. Show them the respect they deserve and remember we have offered our all for you and your family to experience and enjoy all our great country has to offer.

I don't know if you can or will understand all this until you have EARNED your Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. I am not sure you will understand some of us if you don't have combat experience. However, I pray you do not have to experience combat... it is not like the movies... nor some of the books you have read. It will scare the $hit out of you...and you will lose some of your best friends. Friends you have only met a day or so before....but they are your brothers and sisters...and you will remember them for the rest of your life.

Listen and learn. Don't get your feelings hurt nor give a smart mouthed response to the people here. Someday.... if you are good enough to earn the title Marine...we will be your brothers and sisters as well and welcome you into our ranks.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

FattyTheFerret
07-01-10, 08:18 PM
I think this is Fatty's poolee screen name. Leave whatever you have against me out of the poolee forum.

07-01-10, 08:26 PM
Another trolling fvcktard...

SgtThrasher
07-01-10, 08:32 PM
October 1965 @ Parris Island we didn't see a phone,but were required to write a letter that we were good to go!

nobawdy
07-01-10, 08:35 PM
hey, if you guys hate me so much, maybe i should give you my full name, and you can tell all Drill Instructors (SD) that if they get me as a recruit, they should be encouraged to torture me several times worse than everyone else there.

edit: im being serious

DrZ
07-01-10, 08:50 PM
hey, if you guys hate me so much, maybe i should give you my full name, and you can tell all Drill Instructors (SD) that if they get me as a recruit, they should be encouraged to torture me several times worse than everyone else there.

edit: im being serious

I don't believe anyone here hates you...but many really dislike your attitude. If you become a Marine.... you will quickly learn that Marines harass the devil out of each other. One throws a cheap shot and the other responds. It is how we talk to each other....and it is how we recognize each other but we don't take it well from someone who has not made it yet.

If my post gave you any reason to believe I hate you.... I will have to re-read it and see what I might have said.

Plain and simple. Make the call to whomever...call the information operator and tell him/her/it you made it safely and not to send anything. Comply with what the DI and the support Marines tell you to do. Keep your eyes on the goal to become a Marine...and you will survive!

Lisa 23
07-01-10, 08:50 PM
It's Marines to you, not guys.

nobawdy
07-01-10, 08:54 PM
I don't believe anyone here hates you...but many really dislike your attitude. If you become a Marine.... you will quickly learn that Marines harass the devil out of each other. One throws a cheap shot and the other responds. It is how we talk to each other....and it is how we recognize each other but we don't take it well from someone who has not made it yet.

If my post gave you any reason to believe I hate you.... I will have to re-read it and see what I might have said.

Plain and simple. Make the call to whomever...call the information operator and tell him/her/it you made it safely and not to send anything. Comply with what the DI and the support Marines tell you to do. Keep your eyes on the goal to become a Marine...and you will survive!
If it is true that Marines tend to act this way, then that is news to me.

And I wasn't talking about your post per se.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-01-10, 08:59 PM
Of course he can. But I'm glad you have admitted that not only will you defend a Marine after one points out something he did wrong, you will actually get mad at the person pointing it out.

in other words, when Marines are wrong, they're actually right, and when non-Marines are right, they're actually wrong.

Oh, this is not criticism at all. What you are displaying is reading comprehension problems. Does the Marine Corps offer English classes?

Guess what? News flash chipper. You don't rate.

And thus, goodbye.

The Leprechaun minions have so spoken. Extraction complete.

Enjoy Recruit Training. I predict you and the quarterdeck will be close companions.

DrZ
07-01-10, 09:09 PM
Guess what? News flash chipper. You don't rate.

And thus, goodbye.

The Leprechaun minions have so spoken. Extraction complete.

Enjoy Recruit Training. I predict you and the quarterdeck will be close companions.

Man.... I hate to see this happen. I had hoped he would have learned something. If he keeps his attitude... I see the DIs marking an X on his forehead and him walking around with a boot up his butt!

Sgt Leprechaun
07-01-10, 09:11 PM
I know. But I saw multiple chances that were given to the lad, and he chose to ignore ALL of 'em.

Alas, there are some who must learn the hard way.

I really liked your one response, that summed it all up nicely. Very well said!

Phantom Blooper
07-01-10, 09:13 PM
The attitude he has for the Marines on this site giving advice....maybe the same problem he has for his parents or guardian and thus not wanting to speak with them in boot camp.

He is going to have a hard row to hoe in the Marine Corps and life with authority figures if he does not tighten up.:evilgrin:

ameriken
07-01-10, 09:55 PM
It's a shame that all of this was over making a 30 second phone call that says "I'm here".

DrZ, you had a couple of great posts. PB, I was thinking the same thing earlier today about his attitude toward his parents.

Despite whatever went on between him and his family, I really hope he comes to realize how important those relationships and that he just chooses to make that call.

Danny C Smith
07-02-10, 07:46 AM
I really hope that he was just some kid looking to jack with
everyone here. With an attitude like that, I mean a serious problem with athourity, The Corps probably is not a good idea for him.
Either way if this young guy does make it to Boot they will fix his tail quick!:evilgrin:

TJR1070
07-02-10, 11:11 AM
Leave whatever you have against me out of the poolee forum.

Lighten up Francis.

tdrt
07-02-10, 11:22 AM
I agree with all -- that child is going to have some serious problems. He just didn't know when to shut the f*uck up. And what you said Z was awesome.

WXSgt
07-02-10, 11:55 AM
aww i have some DI friends down on SD and friends here on pendleton that deal with recruits i would have loved to have his name lol

DrZ
07-02-10, 12:24 PM
I agree with all -- that child is going to have some serious problems. He just didn't know when to shut the f*uck up. And what you said Z was awesome.

Thank you. What I said, as you all know, was the truth. Hopefully the child will learn someday that we were not blowing smoke. Sadly I believe he will learn very little without time in motivation or just being the DIs favorite target! lol.

Phantom Blooper
07-02-10, 12:37 PM
without time in motivation

If you are talking about Motivation Platoon.....the ditch at PI was filled in and flowers were planted on top.

An incident happened in which a recruit was deemed retarded was recruited and pugil sticked and put into a coma and the MOA and Washington....made the Marine Corps shut her down.:evilgrin:

advanced
07-02-10, 12:53 PM
If it is true that Marines tend to act this way, then that is news to me.

I guess nobody learned a little something about Marines today.

tdrt
07-02-10, 01:01 PM
Thank you. What I said, as you all know, was the truth. Hopefully the child will learn someday that we were not blowing smoke. Sadly I believe he will learn very little without time in motivation or just being the DIs favorite target! lol.

Ya, he's certainly going to be learning the hard way, isn't he? He was too busy having his little pity party to even listen. I especially liked the way he tried to turn it around with the poor "everybody hates me" crappola. Right now, with the current issue of the 30-second phone call -- never understood what the big deal was anyway -- and the pity party, shows an overall lack of maturity.

Dragonscript
07-02-10, 10:08 PM
nobawdy, it is simple. If you hate your family so much that you don't want them to know that you are safe then don't call them. Call your recruiter and let him know.

As a side note, family is one of the most important things a Marine can have. They send you mail, care packages and give you a place to go when you need time away from the Corps. Who is going to get your life insurance money if you are killed? Who is going to be notified of your death and bury you? You are joining the Marines in a time of war, you will be going to a war zone where you could be killed. The Marine Corps is one big family, and for better or worse your family is also joining the Corps with you.

If you think the NCOs are having an issue with you on this forum, just wait till you become a Marine. These NCOs are being nice to you, trust me. If you can't handle someone saying something you don't want to hear, then the Marine Corps is not for you.

Zulu 36
07-02-10, 10:46 PM
They ought to just close this thread. Nobawdy was taken away by the black helos yesterday.

07-02-10, 11:10 PM
Nobawdy was taken away by the black helos yesterday.

Does that mean that nobawdy is a super-secret squirrel now? :confused:

ssgtt32
07-03-10, 09:56 AM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK3zs7EV6Tk

I think this will help you make the decision!

Maurice

thewookie
07-03-10, 10:24 AM
Not often do I disagree with Zulu 36, but I think this should be saved, and/ or kicked around a bit and made into a sticky.

So other's may learn.....:flag:

Zulu 36
07-03-10, 01:40 PM
Not often do I disagree with Zulu 36, but I think this should be saved, and/ or kicked around a bit and made into a sticky.

So other's may learn.....:flag:

I see your point, Wook, and I agree.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-05-10, 05:46 PM
While I won't make it a sticky, it is good information. I debated on if I should close it or not, but decided with the good intelligence that continued, I'd leave it. As long as we keep seeing GOOD information and not a dogpile, it won't be closed (by me, anyway).