PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a low profile and Marine Corps Orders

CQB0316
06-28-10, 05:54 PM
So I've come to the conclusion that haircuts graduating from 0-3 are about as dumb as boots running around out in town with Marine Corps shirts, hats, shorts, back packs, etc on. Theres a reason off duty Police Officerrs dont walk around with clothing on that identifies them as Police Officers. Some people dont like Police Officers and they realize that. The same goes for the Marine Corps, but apparently we are to naive to realize this. Over the last few years, the Marine Corps has been preaching keeping a low profile such as in the MCI Terrorism Awareness. You would think that somewhere on up the ladder they would realize that all having a motivating haircut does is make you a target. The haircut does not make a Marine a Marine. *end of rant*

usmc3521
06-28-10, 07:28 PM
nothing better than going out on the weekend in j-ville and seeing some boots out in their charlies living it up lol!!

O well brother it will always be that way, you know how it is, out of boot you need to be super motivated and rock the drill instructor mesh pt shirt around, o yeah lol

polizei
06-28-10, 07:59 PM
Uh...just don't get a high and tight? I usually go with a high/med reg. It looks much more "natural" and doesn't scream "I just graduated from bootcamp." Now that said, many Marines still rock the high and tight in the great ranks of the career veterans. There's nothing wrong with that, but 0-3 isn't THAT strict.

FattyTheFerret
06-28-10, 08:02 PM
I travel for work. A LOT. I shave on drill weekends and get a haircut the day before. That's it. I keep the beard trimmed and clean, though.

I often walk around without a belt and almost never tuck my shirt tails in.

I refuse to stop walking when I have to answer my cell phone. **** that. I don't want to look like a Marine (ie, a target) when I'm in an unfamiliar city. The moto haircut and baby face come on when the uniform does.

CQB0316
06-28-10, 08:03 PM
3 inches isnt the problem. The 0 is. Even High-Med regs scream your in the Military. Low regs were ok, but they just revised the order saying the hair must be able to be covered by your cover.

polizei
06-28-10, 08:04 PM
Well I'll also admit to "not following that rules" when I'm not drilling. It's just pointless...lol

CQB0316
06-28-10, 08:04 PM
I travel for work. A LOT. I shave on drill weekends and get a haircut the day before. That's it. I keep the beard trimmed and clean, though.

I often walk around without a belt and almost never tuck my shirt tails in.

I refuse to stop walking when I have to answer my cell phone. **** that. I don't want to look like a Marine (ie, a target) when I'm in an unfamiliar city.

+1. Thats my point. But for us active guys, its not that simple.;)

FattyTheFerret
06-28-10, 08:20 PM
+1. Thats my point. But for us active guys, its not that simple.;)

Indeed. One of the few reasons I don't mind that my AR contract is still in purgatory.

I ****ing hate shaving every day. For many of us, it's bad for the skin. Gonna be interesting when I scoot over to MCRD tomorrow to hit up the Navy Fed. :D

edit: I do see your point. Even the active duty ones - hell, especially the active duty Marines - shouldn't be out there looking like Marines in today's potentially hostile society. What ever happened to that ****ing anti-terrorism force protection class we all got?

tangovictor87
06-28-10, 08:30 PM
After MCT, I just zeroed my entire head. It was nice not having hair to get sand, mud, grease, etc. in.

And that not walking and talking on a cell phone thing is fvckin' retarded.

CQB0316
06-28-10, 08:35 PM
Ive had my head shaved since the day I graduated boot camp. A decent number of Civilians still shave their head, next to none have graduating fades:confused:. Basically Ive done it because its easier and it gives me plausible deniability about being a Marine if im ever in a rare situation that I should need it.

FattyTheFerret
06-28-10, 08:41 PM
And that not walking and talking on a cell phone thing is fvckin' retarded.

It's one of those rules to make us look "professional" created by some lifer that has spent his entire career in the Marine Corps and doesn't realize that the real world's definition of "professional" is nothing like our definition.

When a civilian sees someone stop to talk on their cell phone they do not think "oh look, how professional!". They think "is that guy a ****ing moron incapable of walking and talking at the same time?" followed closely by "doesn't he have **** to do, why is he wasting time standing there like an idiot?" and when I see that it's followed finally by "oh right...must be one of us..."

It leads right into this:

http://******************/comics/2010-01-12-Strip_3_Looking_Professional_web.jpg

Whoever came up with that stupid rule has no idea what professional means. I'd bet my next month's salary that Marines who actually support that are the same kind that will go on base every day just to get a sandwich and yell at junior Marines for not having their hair high and tight enough.

il duce
06-28-10, 09:49 PM
Ive bic-ed my head for years. The boots on RA at the local mall (my wife works there) always mistake me for a Drill Instructor when I stop by. Its funny to watch them panic...

micarr57
06-28-10, 10:09 PM
do they really want you to keep a low profile off base just overseas right not here in conus

CQB0316
06-28-10, 10:15 PM
do they really want you to keep a low profile off base just overseas right not here in conus
Not everyone likes Marines, especially in cities that have a large Marine presence.

hussaf
06-28-10, 10:27 PM
micarr57, no offense but WTF is your first language?! Lol.

All else,
I think I just got a boner. I've been an ATFP instructor for five years and I've never heard so many Marines sound so logical. Not the "I want as long hair as I can get away with b/c I'm rebellious" whiny BS, but actual logical thoughts. Good show, mates! (as our British counterparts would say). I've had verbal judo matches with gunnys and master Sgts. that complained about the horseshoe being illegalized in the Corps. Jeezus. Professionalism is the key word here...I think Fatty Used it. In no way is a high and tight a professional looking haircut. It is eccentric. That being said, I've seen some low regs on New River that looked right out comical. The whole pinky worth of shaved and then straight to full on 3 inches with a modicum of fade looks like some homo Friar Tuck type stuff...very alerting and unprofessional. Don't get me started about non-hair related ATFP issues for traveling Marines. The Marine Corps sends me out to travel a lot, to a lot of places both in the US and abroad. Every airport I see ridiculousness...mostly Army, but too many Marines. I love standing in line to check into my flight and overhearing random Soldiers or Marines talking to strangers about how they "don't feel right" being in the States and not hearing rounds whizzing by them and explosions all the time. Jeeeezus. Anyway, I'm heading off to deploy on Wed. and have to fly commercial to get there...can't wait to see what I come across this time!

SF

hussaf
06-28-10, 10:31 PM
Not everyone likes Marines, especially in cities that have a large Marine presence.

When I was a newby in the Corps I witnessed a dude trying to impress a waitress at the Jacksonville junior E-Club (IE Hooters) with the knowledge he was a sniper. After seeing that epic fail, my buddy and I would impress chicks by saying we were civilians who worked at Hot Topic or Block Buster...that **** worked great! Since I worked at Blockbuster in high school, I could really sell it.

When I was in Columbus, Ga for Jump, we ran into some pretty intense anti-military folks out in town.

Heck, even Wilmington you have to be careful not to show your military ID at certain bars or they won't let you in.

CQB0316
06-28-10, 10:33 PM
Thats why when people ask me what I do I say im a firefighter.

micarr57
06-29-10, 07:04 AM
do they really want you to keep a low profileoff base, just overseas right, not right here in conus (continental united states)?
my first language is english so is my second. been speaking english since before you were born :p

when i was active duty 1975-1979 we kept a low profile not because of terrorists trying to **** us over but because of americans trying to **** us over. and our treatment was good compared tohow the vietnam veterans were treated.

i didn't join the Corps to be liked by people i joined to defend the United States :flag:
police officers don't wear clothing that id's them as police when off duty
if you're not proud of your job perhaps you don't need to be one :idea:

Old Marine
06-29-10, 08:57 AM
So I've come to the conclusion that haircuts graduating from 0-3 are about as dumb as boots running around out in town with Marine Corps shirts, hats, shorts, back packs, etc on. Theres a reason off duty Police Officerrs dont walk around with clothing on that identifies them as Police Officers. Some people dont like Police Officers and they realize that. The same goes for the Marine Corps, but apparently we are to naive to realize this. Over the last few years, the Marine Corps has been preaching keeping a low profile such as in the MCI Terrorism Awareness. You would think that somewhere on up the ladder they would realize that all having a motivating haircut does is make you a target. The haircut does not make a Marine a Marine. *end of rant*

Yep, really lots of old salts on this thread. I imagine if you added up their active duty time it wouldn't surpass 10 years. Amazing how some think that a couple of trips through the chow line make them salty.:evilgrin:

CQB0316
06-29-10, 09:10 AM

Being proud of your job doesnt mean you need to go around advertising who or what you are.

Ramadi01
06-29-10, 10:28 AM
why dont you just do somthing extra ordinary like MARSOC and you get a no shave chit and a no haircut chit. just saying..

hussaf
06-29-10, 11:09 AM
when i was active duty 1975-1979 we kept a low profile not because of terrorists trying to **** us over but because of americans trying to **** us over. and our treatment was good compared tohow the vietnam veterans were treated.

Well I'd have a hard time not calling them terrorists as well.

Coming from the point of view of an ATFP instructor its not so much to do with being ashamed of being a Marine as protecting young men and woman against a transnational enemy and foreign intelligence security services that post up in airports...particularly honeypots.

Its pretty common these days for Marines to prefer a more subtle footprint with their Marine Corps status. These days its often considered brash or arrogant to announce to everyone that one is a Marine. I know this wasn't always the case, and it certainly isn't everyone now, but its not uncommon to find those with that belief. Personally, I never whip out my military ID or wear dress uniform to get discounts or special favors. For me, personally, that cheapens my service in the Corps. I don't care if other people do, I just have to serve the way that makes me feel right...and I don't feel right doing that.

SF

Isrowei
06-29-10, 12:08 PM
Coming from the point of view of an ATFP instructor its not so much to do with being ashamed of being a Marine as protecting young men and woman against a transnational enemy and foreign intelligence security services that post up in airports...particularly honeypots.

Its pretty common these days for Marines to prefer a more subtle footprint with their Marine Corps status. These days its often considered brash or arrogant to announce to everyone that one is a Marine. I know this wasn't always the case, and it certainly isn't everyone now, but its not uncommon to find those with that belief. Personally, I never whip out my military ID or wear dress uniform to get discounts or special favors. For me, personally, that cheapens my service in the Corps. I don't care if other people do, I just have to serve the way that makes me feel right...and I don't feel right doing that.

SF

I think this sums it up pretty well.

A couple of times through the chow hall DOESN'T make anyone salty (experienced), but most people know a logical incongruence when they see it (reference the cartoon above about the wallet in the sock).

It's tough to handle this topic in a way that is mature and respects both sides of the table. On the one hand, it IS laughable sometimes the extremes to which "professionalism" is taken in the hands (and minds) of some super-motivated Marines. On the other, it is undeniable that the maxim "what you allow in moderation, your subordinates will excuse in excess" holds very very true.

The rules (regulations) are formulated as they are to try to allow "Common sense" to rule for the most part. Now we know that some folks take it to the extreme (both ways), but there-in is the difficulty in leadership.

Where do you draw the line so that it is fair?

In the end, the best approach (in my opinion) is as Hussaf seems to be doing: Spread the common-sense approach to the rules and regulations through talking with all levels of Marines and changing minds one Marine at a time. Minimize the use of ridicule (as it only puts people on the defensive) or the labeling of those "moto" Marines as the "old guys" or "careerists". If your aim is to truly change someone's mind, you won't try to alienate them with your approach.

Be polite, be respectful, and have a reason for what you do and why you're doing it. Most Marines I've met will respect that.

Old Marine
06-29-10, 02:40 PM
Being proud of your job doesnt mean you need to go around advertising who or what you are.

Marines have been doing just that since 1775 and have seemed to back it up pretty well for all these years. Why would the Marine Corps want to go under cover now?:evilgrin:

CQB0316
06-29-10, 04:30 PM
Marines have been doing just that since 1775 and have seemed to back it up pretty well for all these years. Why would the Marine Corps want to go under cover now?:evilgrin:
And thats exactly why Ive seen more than my fair share of Marines come back to base on Monday with a f*cked up face. Like I said before, not everyone likes the Marine Corps and its not that are to find yourself out numbered by a decent size group of people at a party, bar, etc. Our Company Gunny actually got his sh*t kicked in pretty good about 2 months before we deployed. Why deal with all that crap and the possibility of getting arrested for assault yourself when you can avoid it? Thats just personal safety. I dont even want to get into ATFP.

usmc3521
06-29-10, 05:03 PM
must be a west coast thing im guessing? I live in Michigan(Ohio) before that and never had an issue with people not liking military. I am not one of those to go around saying "I am Marine this, or I am Marine that" I just act like an adult and am cool with most, they then see my tats and say something positive about the Corps or thanks for your service. I to this day get my mop cut once a week(o fade up to a #1 on top) and maintain my image(for me its a personal thing, I hate long hair) I shave every couple of days. So I have the typical squared away Marine look and am never ashamed or have people jump my shizt.

I think alot of the negative views you may see are from all the turds that go out and try to fight or act hard once they become a Marine. They give all of us a bad name and in some case may warrant you not wanting to "flaunt" being a Marine. Especially in bars or clubs where some see the need to try and break out their weak azz mcmap training(sorry LINE training was more aggressive and lethal than glorified tae kwon do/ju jitsu moves) on civilians.

I guess what I am trying to say is to this day I show the image and handle myself as a professional, people then come up to me and say something about me being a Marine and I say thanks, either way here on the east coast you can not flaunt it or even be extra moto and people respect your service as long as you act responsible S/F

LandsNGrooves
06-29-10, 06:16 PM
I refuse to stop walking when I have to answer my cell phone. **** that. I don't want to look like a Marine (ie, a target) when I'm in an unfamiliar city.

WTF marine! thats only in uniform bro. talk all you want in civis

LandsNGrooves
06-29-10, 06:59 PM
Yep, really lots of old salts on this thread. I imagine if you added up their active duty time it wouldn't surpass 10 years. Amazing how some think that a couple of trips through the chow line make them salty.:evilgrin:

And that has WHAT to do with the topic?

why dont you just do somthing extra ordinary like MARSOC and you get a no shave chit and a no haircut chit. just saying..

Marsoc has better things to worry about then petty bull****. Seen pics of SEALs or ODA teams/Delta in country? Yeah, full beards. While your doing field day, SF teams are still training.

Heck, even Wilmington you have to be careful not to show your military ID at certain bars or they won't let you in.

THIS

FattyTheFerret
06-29-10, 08:32 PM
WTF marine! thats only in uniform bro. talk all you want in civis

I know, but I've seen people do it in civvies because they're so used to doing it in uniform. :bunny: It's hilarious.

edit: and I once had my ass chewed in MCT for doing it in civvies! it was retarded.

Not that I think it makes a lot of sense in uniform, either. I'm walking from one building to another to get something done, someone calls me to give me further instructions for that task...it's a waste of time to stop in the middle of the sidewalk to get said instructions when by the time I've received them I could be at my destination

I'm betting no one outside of the Marine Corps views walking and talking on a cell phone as unprofessional. If they want to tell us not to do it because of safety reasons, I'll buy that. But to say it's because of professionalism just makes it difficult to take seriously.

I've seen a number of senior staff NCOs and officers doing it. I wouldn't give correcting them a second thought, not because of the weight on their collars but because I'm fairly certain that they have **** to do. :p

Old Marine
06-29-10, 09:23 PM
Makes me wonder how many time Chesty has rolled over since hearing about this thread.

FattyTheFerret
06-29-10, 10:29 PM
Chesty would be proud to know that Marines are being smart when there are potential threats around every corner.

CQB0316
06-29-10, 10:48 PM
And wasnt it he who said that A dumb Marine has cold hands and empty pockets.

Agent Johnson
06-29-10, 11:07 PM
Makes me wonder how many time Chesty has rolled over since hearing about this thread.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//post-214-1182830083.jpg

CQB0316
06-29-10, 11:10 PM
PERFECT PICTURE! Thank you agent johnson

Danny C Smith
06-30-10, 03:13 PM
I don't think Chesty Puller gave much of a frack what anyone thought.
Just got my hair cut recently for the first time since my eas in 90.
All 2 feet of it.:thumbup:
Even back in the 80's at the Stumps there were those civilian turds that didn't like Marines. Well no crap, I wonder why?
They thought we were arrogant azzholes and we thought they were dirt bags.
We Were and they were. I guess some things never change.
To be honest, I do wear USMC "caps", even to work and sometimes to the
shooting range I wear an old salty cover I still have.
The belt I wear everyday has an Eagle, Globe and Anchor on it.
I wear a Marine Corps ring. Our Colors fly in my front yard.
My vehicles have the Marine Corps Emblem on them.
Personally, I am intensely proud of my service. Short as it was.
Also, I am certain that if I just happened to be in a store that was being robbed I would be the first target. Or one of the first because personally,
I would just attack the puke and try to kill him with a can of soup and a plastic shopping bag over his head and shove the neck of a ranch dressing
bottle down his throat after rubbing snuff in his eyes from behind.
That doesn't even count the elbows and knees to vital organs and
major blood vessels of the neck.
That is something that I keep in mind at all times even to this day.
We are targets. Just as any enemy is to us.

LandsNGrooves
06-30-10, 10:16 PM
\

THats what im talking bout. I miss my hair. It was down to my beltline and women loved it.;)

AdirondackDog
07-01-10, 12:59 AM
Little off topic but I think a barracks cut comes out better than any on-base establishment you go to in Okinawa. If there is some secret barber shop all the SNCO's and Officers have been hiding from us, please let me know. Im not a gung hoe motivator, but I still want to look fresh.

AdirondackDog
07-01-10, 01:02 AM
That was beautiful

Even back in the 80's at the Stumps there were those civilian turds that didn't like Marines. Well no crap, I wonder why?
Also, I am certain that if I just happened to be in a store that was being robbed I would be the first target. Or one of the first because personally,
I would just attack the puke and try to kill him with a can of soup and a plastic shopping bag over his head and shove the neck of a ranch dressing

AlohaMarine
07-01-10, 10:27 PM
Have any of you been to Hawaii?

The Army and Navy and Air Force outnumber us on this island 8:1. Even if we were allowed to have Navy Regs we'd still be known for being military. White guy or Black Guy in good shape with other white guys or black guys on Oahu equals military. Period.

bgsuwoody
07-03-10, 08:59 PM
Another whinny LCPL who has to be different when he wants to be and has no pride in being in the Marine Corps. Who cares that you are a Marine...you earned that title and if you are not proud to be one or are not willing to follow the oath you raised your right hand for, I'll gladly see you out the door. Its ****ing hair...get over it. Hell if you dont go out and buy all your high speed FAST gear and go out and show why you are so bad ass to your fellow Marines, but you cannot get over the fact that some dumb ***** in town can't stand you because you "have the USMC haircut." Guess what I got the haircut and I still get my dick sucked.

Personality helps and I'm not scared to be a Marine. I DONT GIVE A **** WHAT ANYONE ELSE THINKS...IF I DID I WOULD BE IN THE ARMY...so I could wear my ACU's around with all my cool patches.

God I'll say it again...hair is ****ing hair...spend some more time worryng about your Marines in a god damn highly decorated BN suck as 2/7 and get them ready to head to Afghanistan again and spend less time passing on such bull**** crap to other Marines...

bgsuwoody
07-03-10, 09:07 PM
And the god damn islamist terrorists in Afghan and Iraq don't say look at the guy in the high and tight, but hell if they dont know what the guys in the brown or the tan are. They TRY to kill you because you are damn good (or they run away) not because of your ****ing haircut...jesus christ I hate dumb this is...

Let me guess...
You want to wear your Dulce and Gabanna Sunglasses too because they "are in regs"
You want to wear your hat backwards because we would "fit in" in Compton
You want to wear your hat indoors because you don't understand the history behind the tradition (look it up)
You dont want to wear a skivvy shirt because "its hot"
You dont want to wear a belt because you are "open for business"
You want to wear flip flops because they are "in right now"
You want to wear all your little patches on your flak because "they aren't target indicators"
You want to put your hands in your pockets because you have no discipline and you "are cold" Well cry me a river...I shower in that ****

Its the same **** every day...Just do they job or take the NJP or go UA...leave your ID on your rack with your serialized gear and weapons cards and I don't give a **** what you do!

CQB0316
07-03-10, 09:10 PM
Arnt you just the deffinition of a motard

hbharrison
07-03-10, 09:17 PM
For those still n active there is problems for me and some others that are retired or I should say no longer active duty I have a CCW and I will shoot back they may git me down but not before some dump scumbag goes down first.

CQB0316
07-03-10, 09:47 PM
The blackness of your chevrons, high boot blouses, tightly rolled sleeves, haircuts, etc do not make an operator and operator. What makes an operator is the way they do their job. Id rather have someone who is percieved as a "****bag" who knows their job like the back of their hand over someone who looks "squared away".

PaidinBlood
07-03-10, 11:06 PM
Thanks, fatty-most of those cartoons are funny as hell and sadly true.

Quinbo
07-03-10, 11:26 PM
If you live in orange county you might just be in the military.
If you are 20 years old and driving a brand new mustang you might just be in the military.
If you are in washington state but speak with a slow texas drawl you might be in the military.
If you have an ohh rahh I love the Marine Corps tatoo you might just be in the military.
If you go to the laundrymat to wash your 782 gear in preparation for a JOB inspection you might be in the military.
If you are able to describe to a barber exactly what a 0 to 3 graduated haircut is you might be in the military.
If when you stay in a hotel and you ask if there is military discount on the room rate you might be in the military.

Letting you grow your hair out aint gonna change a dang thing.

bgsuwoody
07-04-10, 12:27 AM
And I would rather have someone who has done the job, tell me what the job of the infantryman would be...you can be a damn good Marine in the field and in garrisson. Its what my senior Marines and...

PaidinBlood
07-04-10, 01:58 AM
I have to agree with you there - I heard the cop out "I'm just not a garrison Marine" far too often. My seniors taught me that the field made you appreciate garrison, not disregard it. They may not have had ridiculous fvcking haircuts but when we weren't living like animals we tried to look like Marines. DIs, recruiters, etc, I have still never seen sleeves like my seniors.

Admittedly, I missed the point of it at the time-I mean, what do sleeves have to with killing bodies, right?-but in time it became clear. They didn't lock their uniforms as a requirement of an infantryman, but rather it was a manifestation of everything they had been taught. The more I see of other branches and MOS's the more I understand the school in which I was raised.

josephd
07-04-10, 02:08 AM
While I completely agree with you on this Cpl. quite a few Marines don't have the luxury of being able to be judged/rated on being "tactfully and technically proficient". Many Marines work mostly in garrison and in shops/offices where how they look coming to work says almost everything about them.

This kind of logic is the same when it comes to promotions in correlation with PFT, CFT, rifle range, MCI, etc. It doesn't make sense a lot of the time but that's the way it is so we do our best as Marines to adapt.

PaidinBlood
07-04-10, 02:19 AM
While I completely agree with you on this Cpl. quite a few Marines don't have the luxury of being able to be judged/rated on being "tactfully and technically proficient". Many Marines work mostly in garrison and in shops/offices where how they look coming to work says almost everything about them.

This kind of logic is the same when it comes to promotions in correlation with PFT, CFT, rifle range, MCI, etc. It doesn't make sense a lot of the time but that's the way it is so we do our best as Marines to adapt.

What exactly are you trying to say, Marine? As I read it, Cpl Woody said that

you can be a damn good Marine in the field and in garrisson. Its what my senior Marines and the one's here taught me and it stuck...

From that I gather that he agrees that representing oneself as sh*tbag in Garrison is unsat.

As for your comments, I don't agree. Every Marine has a job and therefore has the opportunity to display their talents in expertise and leadership. It may not always pay off in chevrons but it gets the job done and people notice. Trust me-I did my dance with cutting scores and lost for years but I really didn't care because I was leading Marines and getting sh*t done. That's just me, though.

SF:usmc:

josephd
07-04-10, 02:41 AM
What exactly are you trying to say, Marine? As I read it, Cpl Woody said that

From that I gather that he agrees that representing oneself as sh*tbag in Garrison is unsat.

As for your comments, I don't agree. Every Marine has a job and therefore has the opportunity to display their talents in expertise and leadership. It may not always pay off in chevrons but it gets the job done and people notice. Trust me-I did my dance with cutting scores and lost for years but I really didn't care because I was leading Marines and getting sh*t done. That's just me, though.

SF:usmc:
What I read from the Cpls post was that a haircut and such things as related to professionalism in the Corps shouldn't be as big of deal as it is made out to be. And I completely agree with this. In my post though I was trying to point out that many Marines are judged on this more than they should because being tactfully and technically proficient while important doesn't play as big of a part in their job or particular MOS as it does in others.

PaidinBlood
07-04-10, 02:51 AM
What I read from the Cpls post was that a haircut and such things as related to professionalism in the Corps shouldn't be as big of deal as it is made out to be. And I completely agree with this. In my post though I was trying to point out that many Marines are judged on this more than they should because being tactfullyand technically proficient while important doesn't play as big of a part in their job or particular MOS as it does in others.

Tactfully or tactically? :banana: Just giving you a hard time. What I'm saying is what do you base this on? Looking like a Marine is a minimum but every job offers the chance to demonstrate proficiency and leadership-but how do you think that certain MOSs are judged more harshly by sleeve rolling and haircuts?

josephd
07-04-10, 03:07 AM
Tactfully or tactically? :banana: Just giving you a hard time. What I'm saying is what do you base this on? Looking like a Marine is a minimum but every job offers the chance to demonstrate proficiency and leadership-but how do you think that certain MOSs are judged more harshly by sleeve rolling and haircuts?

hahahaha typing faster than I can think here, sorry Sgt.

There have just been a few occasions that I have seen a few junior Marines like myself be looked at not very highly by their command because they aren't "poster Marines". They know their job and are within regs but don't quite fit the part that is being looked for.

One Marine in particular I know personally works in a shop that is ran by a civilian/retired Marine MSgt. and he wants all the Marines in his shop to have a high and stupid haircut along with other motard things that have been referenced in the thread. Even the shop's Plt. Sgt. hates trying to enforce this.

PaidinBlood
07-04-10, 03:31 AM
hahahaha typing faster than I can think here, sorry Sgt.

There have just been a few occasions that I have seen a few junior Marines like myself be looked at not very highly by their command because they aren't "poster Marines". They know their job and are within regs but don't quite fit the part that is being looked for.

One Marine in particular I know personally works in a shop that is ran by a civilian/retired Marine MSgt. and he wants all the Marines in his shop to have a high and stupid haircut along with other motard things that have been referenced in the thread. Even the shop's Plt. Sgt. hates trying to enforce this.

Well hell if that's the case, he-the plt sgt-oughta find some sack and take care of his Marines but I think I get what you were trying to say now. That's a shame there isn't a single leader present in that shop.

Old Marine
07-04-10, 08:36 AM
Someone on this thread that is and has used the (I guess its a word) motard in referal to their brother Marines needs to define motard. I looked in Websters Dictionary and it not in there.

Old Marine
07-04-10, 10:56 AM
Back in the early 1960's I knwe a Marine who had a high & tight and looked like a Marine on a Recruiting Poster. When it came to liberty he put on a wig, hippy clothes an ear ring and went on liberty. When liberty was over, it was back to being a squared away Marine.

By reading some of these posts, I am assuming that some people did not get it when attending Recruit Training. Could it be that their Drill Instructor was a soup sandwich, I highly doubt it. Every Marine is taught right from wrong and when they get to the fleet it is up to them.

Danny C Smith
07-04-10, 03:02 PM
Someone on this thread that is and has used the (I guess its a word) motard in referal to their brother Marines needs to define motard. I looked in Websters Dictionary and it not in there.

Gunny,
It sounds like one of those "oxymorons" to me. Heavy on the "moron".
Motivationally retarted.
Which, to me would mean absolutely no motivation at all.
Which would be truly sad for any Marine.
It's a damn shame Marines "seem" to be ashamed to look like Marines.
I went through that too though. Grew my hair really long, all that crap.
Grew hair on my face that felt like hell and all of that.
But, I was still proud to explain the Eagle, Globe and Anchor tat on my shoulder. I wasn't ashamed to be a Marine. Just tired of it all at the time.
That is a different story though.
Why would we give a rat's azz what the general population out in "town"
think anyway?
Anyone that thinks a booty call in "town" is worth more than looking like
a Marine is a "motard" in my dictionary.
Never mind a civ might give you a hard time. So what. Kick the pizz out of'em
I understand both sides of this, been on both sides of the fence and even
straddled said fence for a time.
I guess what I'm saying is that no matter what anyone and I mean
ANYONE, be it chicks in town, slimey, dirtbag guys in town or the freaking
potential "terrorist types" in town or where ever. We ARE TARGETS.
We are MARINES. The FEW, The PROUD. MARINES *******IT!
We should all hold up that standard. We are trained to run TO the gun fire.
Not shrink away from it.
If I'm an old "motard", fine. I been called much worse:evilgrin:
Semper Fi.

PaidinBlood
07-04-10, 03:09 PM
It's not an oxymoron; it is a portmanteau, combining the two.

Like any other slang the exact meaning lies in the intent of the speaker, but in most common usage (in my short experience) it refers to an individual whose false motivtion has led to a tragic mental debilitation. Whereas a solid appearance should be the result of being a good Marine (fitness, attention to detail, etc) some "motards" believe it is the foundation. They generally obsess over trivial issues in order to mask their own inability in the job. This is a primary reason why they LOVE to "devil-dog" or "life" passing Marines-they may not know a converged sheaf from grazing fire but damn if they can't spot a boot bloused .0001" too low from a mile away.

So you see, it is not motivation that is wrong; it is the misapplication of false motivation which rightly draws the ire of their brothers-in-arms.

Old Marine
07-04-10, 04:32 PM
Gunny,
It sounds like one of those "oxymorons" to me. Heavy on the "moron".
Motivationally retarted.
Which, to me would mean absolutely no motivation at all.
Which would be truly sad for any Marine.
It's a damn shame Marines "seem" to be ashamed to look like Marines.
I went through that too though. Grew my hair really long, all that crap.
Grew hair on my face that felt like hell and all of that.
But, I was still proud to explain the Eagle, Globe and Anchor tat on my shoulder. I wasn't ashamed to be a Marine. Just tired of it all at the time.
That is a different story though.
Why would we give a rat's azz what the general population out in "town"
think anyway?
Anyone that thinks a booty call in "town" is worth more than looking like
a Marine is a "motard" in my dictionary.
Never mind a civ might give you a hard time. So what. Kick the pizz out of'em
I understand both sides of this, been on both sides of the fence and even
straddled said fence for a time.
I guess what I'm saying is that no matter what anyone and I mean
ANYONE, be it chicks in town, slimey, dirtbag guys in town or the freaking
potential "terrorist types" in town or where ever. We ARE TARGETS.
We are MARINES. The FEW, The PROUD. MARINES *******IT!
We should all hold up that standard. We are trained to run TO the gun fire.
Not shrink away from it.
If I'm an old "motard", fine. I been called much worse:evilgrin:
Semper Fi.

OK Danny and thanks for the info. The way I get it is, this so called motard is Marine who follows regulations and is the first to let the other non motards know when they are doing wrong. This this Motard Marine is on the non motards list and the only way he can get off of it is to become a non motard and screw the pooch. The Marine Corps will never change.:evilgrin:

Danny C Smith
07-04-10, 04:44 PM
Thank you Sgt.
I stand educated.
So, why are Marines these days ashamed of looking and acting like Marines?
Maybe I'm just too old, but I don't think the Corps should be "mainstream"
When The Corps is supposed to be The Marine Corps.
Marines are intended to stand out. the forward tip of the cutting edge.
And be damned proud of it. No matter what.
False moto? I saw it back in the day. You bet.
So what? Motivation is what drives The Marine Corps.
Always has and always will.

Sgt.
My Grand Father was an Army Soldier. WW11 and Korea.
I was raised by this Man and my Grand Mother.
He told me stories of "crazy Marines" as he called them.
He told me the Marines were insane. And arrogant.
But, he never down talked the Corps.
I'm sure some if not all of the stories were "embellished"
as they should be. Motivation.
He said Marines were the meanest and friendliest men he had ever known.
I remember him telling me that Marines lived in the mud.
They ate garbage, as how he put it.
And didn't give a damn about anything but killing the enemy.
He called them insane.
But he also told me that they were very "PROUD"

Old Marine
07-04-10, 07:27 PM
Well Cpl. Smith, I guess that you realize that there has always been that 10% in the Corps that seems to want to buck the system on every issue. As you can see, some of them found their way to Leatherneck.com. Lets just hope that they have not forgotten the PROUD part.

Danny C Smith
07-04-10, 08:20 PM
Well Cpl. Smith, I guess that you realize that there has always been that 10% in the Corps that seems to want to buck the system on every issue. As you can see, some of them found their way to Leatherneck.com. Lets just hope that they have not forgotten the PROUD part.

:thumbup::flag:

PaidinBlood
07-04-10, 11:30 PM
Thank you Sgt.
I stand educated.
So, why are Marines these days ashamed of looking and acting like Marines?
Maybe I'm just too old, but I don't think the Corps should be "mainstream"
When The Corps is supposed to be The Marine Corps.
Marines are intended to stand out. the forward tip of the cutting edge.
And be damned proud of it. No matter what.
False moto? I saw it back in the day. You bet.
So what? Motivation is what drives The Marine Corps.
Always has and always will.

Sgt.
My Grand Father was an Army Soldier. WW11 and Korea.
I was raised by this Man and my Grand Mother.
He told me stories of "crazy Marines" as he called them.
He told me the Marines were insane. And arrogant.
But, he never down talked the Corps.
I'm sure some if not all of the stories were "embellished"
as they should be. Motivation.
He said Marines were the meanest and friendliest men he had ever known.
I remember him telling me that Marines lived in the mud.
They ate garbage, as how he put it.
And didn't give a damn about anything but killing the enemy.
He called them insane.
But he also told me that they were very "PROUD"

I could be wrong-just ask my wife-but there are more than two sides to this and therefore the confusion. You have to consider each of the factions surrounding this issue.

Group A -MOTARDS who do not understand anything beyond a rule book

Group B - Turds who want to look like civilians because they never really made a change in boot camp

Group C - MARINES who worry about the targeting of Marines at home and abroad.

All too often B rides on the coattails of C, in an attempt to link their causes, while A acts so stupid in the enforcement of their own personal image of what a Marine should be that even good Marines act more like B so as not to be associated with A.

It really is that stupid. In the end, I make sure that my Marines and any jarhead unlucky enough to cross my path do right. Keep my own porch clean. In doing so, I teach them why we do what we do and why they need to police others. Unless I skipped a chapter, I think that is expected.... :usmc:

hbharrison
07-05-10, 12:13 PM
I am a Marine that is that I will not hide that fact I am proud of what I am if they wish to target me so be it the an't getten no cherry I will fight and I will win Load willing but if I do not then no one and I mean no one can ever say he was not a Marine to the end. I love the USA I do not love my Government but that being said I am still and always will be a Marine.

kenrobg30
07-05-10, 12:45 PM
I am a Marine that is that I will not hide that fact I am proud of what I am if they wish to target me so be it the an't getten no cherry I will fight and I will win Load willing but if I do not then no one and I mean no one can ever say he was not a Marine to the end. I love the USA I do not love my Government but that being said I am still and always will be a Marine.
I will stand by what you are saying HBH, and before some one jumps all over your six,Let me carry part of that load. I too love this country, and its people, for the most part. The people who run the Govt. (That is not us ) are in it to line their own pockets, not to represent the People.Their self serving stupidity, is sending this country down the same road that every big power has followed, and no one is doing anything to stop them. We'd better learn to speak Chinese. :marine: S/F!!! Ken

Danny C Smith
07-05-10, 02:06 PM

Thank you!
That is exactly what I was trying to get across in my slow,
plodding way. Never been accused of being quick in the noggin.

Semper Fi.

Danny C Smith
07-05-10, 02:20 PM
I could be wrong-just ask my wife-but there are more than two sides to this and therefore the confusion. You have to consider each of the factions surrounding this issue.

Group A -MOTARDS who do not understand anything beyond a rule book

Group B - Turds who want to look like civilians because they never really made a change in boot camp

Group C - MARINES who worry about the targeting of Marines at home and abroad.

All too often B rides on the coattails of C, in an attempt to link their causes, while A acts so stupid in the enforcement of their own personal image of what a Marine should be that even good Marines act more like B so as not to be associated with A.

It really is that stupid. In the end, I make sure that my Marines and any jarhead unlucky enough to cross my path do right. Keep my own porch clean. In doing so, I teach them why we do what we do and why they need to police others. Unless I skipped a chapter, I think that is expected.... :usmc:

Thanks Sgt.
I understand I reckon I'm just an old motard, turd that worries about
Our young Marines to much.
My nephew is at SOI right now.
All to soon to deploy and I guess my trigger finger is just iching.
Something is bugging me that is for sure.

Can I PM you Sgt.?
I'd like to talk with you about something.
Semper Fi.

PaidinBlood
07-05-10, 10:55 PM
Thanks Sgt.
I understand I reckon I'm just an old motard, turd that worries about
Our young Marines to much.
My nephew is at SOI right now.
All to soon to deploy and I guess my trigger finger is just iching.
Something is bugging me that is for sure.

Can I PM you Sgt.?
I'd like to talk with you about something.
Semper Fi.

Any time, brother. Semper Fi :usmc:

hbharrison
07-06-10, 02:07 AM
I quess some has been bugging me for the past 43 years we did not win but every time I see our Marines over there in both sand piles doing a great job of kicking azz and winning the pride just gets better and better and as I said if someone asks I am a Marine and d*mn proud of it and our Corps and the people who serve today.

PaidinBlood
07-06-10, 10:44 AM
Also, the safety risk depends largely on the Marine.

In this Marine's opinion, the risk is not jihadists, hippies, or foreign agents so much as harlots, predatory lenders/salesmen, and common criminals.

They seek not so much to identify a victim as a Marine but rather as a Boot Marine who will gladly part with his money, OR will get so fvcking drunk that he will be easy pickin.

Nobody fvcks with the old Gunny walking down the street with a high and tight, moto T shirt tucked in and some shiny m-Frames on his "grape".

They circle like sharks when they smell boot. Solution: Don't change your appearance, just grow up and watch your six.:usmc:

Wyoming
07-06-10, 11:00 AM
Right Wing Extremist Potential Terrorist Threat

That is what scares them, or is the risk.

PaidinBlood
07-06-10, 12:23 PM
Right Wing Extremist Potential Terrorist Threat

That is what scares them, or is the risk.

While we were blessed to return to a much different sentiment a home than Marines of other eras, I doubt I will forget coming home to find that my government feared me almost as much I feared it. I'm not one for grudges, but somethings aren't meant to be forgiven.:usmc:

kenrobg30
07-06-10, 01:07 PM
OK Danny and thanks for the info. The way I get it is, this so called motard is Marine who follows regulations and is the first to let the other non motards know when they are doing wrong. This this Motard Marine is on the non motards list and the only way he can get off of it is to become a non motard and screw the pooch. The Marine Corps will never change.:evilgrin:
Gunny, I don't understand two thirds of the language these younger Marines say. I have to back up three or four pages in a string, just to find out what the hell they're talking about!! Buit, the one third I do understand tells me one thing. Even when THEY don't know what they're talking about, they are still Marines. OK, go on with your discussion. :evilgrin: S/F!!! Ken

FattyTheFerret
07-16-10, 08:50 PM
You want to put your hands in your pockets because you have no discipline and you "are cold" Well cry me a river...I shower in that ****putting your hands in your pocket when it's cold has nothing to do with discipline. it's common sense. wholly illogical to do otherwise unless there is a specific need to have your hands accessible. when in garrison, telling someone they can't keep their hands warm because it looks unprofessional is equally as retarded as telling someone to put their wallet in their sock when wearing charlies

Crashtrash56
07-17-10, 01:28 PM
I think this is a pretty good definition, there is nothing wrong with being a motivated Marine. Motards are the ones the use extreme motivation to hide the fact that they don't know their job. I have heard many motivated Marines refer to others as motards.

It's not an oxymoron; it is a portmanteau, combining the two.

Like any other slang the exact meaning lies in the intent of the speaker, but in most common usage (in my short experience) it refers to an individual whose false motivtion has led to a tragic mental debilitation. Whereas a solid appearance should be the result of being a good Marine (fitness, attention to detail, etc) some "motards" believe it is the foundation. They generally obsess over trivial issues in order to mask their own inability in the job. This is a primary reason why they LOVE to "devil-dog" or "life" passing Marines-they may not know a converged sheaf from grazing fire but damn if they can't spot a boot bloused .0001" too low from a mile away.

So you see, it is not motivation that is wrong; it is the misapplication of false motivation which rightly draws the ire of their brothers-in-arms.

There are more enemies of the Marine Corps than just the Islamic extremists. I am not 100% on the specifics of this story, nor will I disclose some of the details to it, but this is a true story that happened within the past year. Some junior Marines who were still in MOS school got invited to by a rich old man to hang out with him for the weekend. I believe he said that he want to thank them for what they were doing for their country, well he ended up drugging these young Marines and they woke up tied down on beds getting raped by him and some of his other gay friends. These Marines were out of bounds, and if they would have followed the liberty rules this wouldn't have happened, but that doesn't change the fact that they were targeted because they were Marines, and if I remember right what happened to these Marines was supposed to be a comment on what they think about the military's policy of "don't' ask, don't tell"

hbharrison
07-17-10, 02:02 PM
I said it before and I'll say it again I am a Marine and Proud of it I will not hide who I am I am an America and a Marine if they want a peace of me so be it they are not getting a cherry and I will take some of they with me.:usmc::mad:

FattyTheFerret
07-17-10, 02:10 PM
Good for you, but some of us realize that we can be proud of our association with the Marine Corps without making us targets.

The problem with people who say they'd be the first ones to stand up if something happened is that they're the most likely to do something stupid and get an innocent civilian killed because they want to play john wayne.

hbharrison
07-17-10, 02:16 PM
Stupid ?

FattyTheFerret
07-17-10, 02:42 PM
Or crazy :p

Accord
07-19-10, 01:22 AM
And the god damn islamist terrorists in Afghan and Iraq don't say look at the guy in the high and tight, but hell if they dont know what the guys in the brown or the tan are. They TRY to kill you because you are damn good (or they run away) not because of your ****ing haircut...jesus christ I hate dumb this is...

Let me guess...
You want to wear your Dulce and Gabanna Sunglasses too because they "are in regs"
You want to wear your hat backwards because we would "fit in" in Compton
You want to wear your hat indoors because you don't understand the history behind the tradition (look it up)
You dont want to wear a skivvy shirt because "its hot"
You dont want to wear a belt because you are "open for business"
You want to wear flip flops because they are "in right now"
You want to wear all your little patches on your flak because "they aren't target indicators"
You want to put your hands in your pockets because you have no discipline and you "are cold" Well cry me a river...I shower in that ****

Its the same **** every day...Just do they job or take the NJP or go UA...leave your ID on your rack with your serialized gear and weapons cards and I don't give a **** what you do!
I just threw up all over my keyboard. You don't honestly believe all that crap?

I have gunny rolls but i'm a sgt, my pants are always bloused at or below my ankles, the last time I changed my chevrons was when I pinned on, I get a haircut once every two weeks and when I do its a Navy reg just to trim my neckhair, I don't wear a belt because my pants actually fit me, I don't wear a skivvie shirt in the summer months because its more comfortable, I wear Gucci (not D&G) sunglasses in cammies, if i'm in civvies and i've got a hat on its staying on when i'm indoors because if I take it off i'll have hat hair since my hair is so long, I wear flip flops BECAUSE ITS THE FRIGGEN SUMMER AND IN THE SUMMER PEOPLE WEAR FLIP FLOPS. Yeah, i'm the guy that motivators develop a tick over when you see me walk into the 7-day store. Oh, and if its cold my hands will be in my pockets. And after all that, i'm a better Marine than most of the 8th&I silent drill wannabe's running around my Corps and i'll run any motivators dick into the dirt and make him beg for Chesty. I still got my good conduct medal. Being a beltfed motivator went out of style when the mooj flew 747's into the world trade center and pentagon. Don't expect a reply. Out.

SlingerDun
07-19-10, 01:42 AM
Wait a minute, you don't wear a belt because your pants actually fit. But, you have gunny rolls:confused: OK what are these gunny rolls

MD8724
07-19-10, 02:22 AM
Gunny Rolls, i.e. loose sleeves on his blouse. Instead of taking 15 minutes to make them DI moto, he just rolls them very loose, probably around his elbow. Nothing to do with his trousers.

FattyTheFerret
07-19-10, 02:27 AM
I feel weird without a belt unless I'm wearing shorts

that's just me though...if I'm bumming to the kwik e mart or next door to the bar on saturday morning I may or may not throw on a belt but you won't see me without one if I plan to accomplish anything that day. just a quirk, I guess

I think by gunny rolls he means sleeves rolled so loose and low you could fist **** a 7-ton through them :p

one thing that gets me is being harassed for wearing a white t-shirt. newsflash: just because a shirt is plain white does NOT mean it's intended for wear as an undergarment, which is what the order refers to. my plain white Ts are way too thick to be undershirts. I have plain white undershirts but I also don't wear those out because I'm a bit of a hairy monkey underneath so it looks really gross. but seriously folks, what's the deal with airline food

PGN63
07-19-10, 10:37 AM
Having a 0-3 or military haircut isn't going to make you a better target. Being an American is what makes you a target. Generally speaking a hard target is avoided by the badguys. Becoming a hard target consists of keeping situational awareness. A military haircut plus constant S/A is the best way to not become a target. Having a military haircut and beebopping down the road and getting drunk with no S/A is an open invitation to getting hit.

There are places all over the world where you are a target because you're white or black or asian, or just about any other personal description.

I recall the Africare director to CAR, she went on about how she was intouch with 'her people' because she was an African American. I ran a vulnerability assessment on her residence, she didn't listen to a single recommendation that I gave her. About 8 months into her tour, a working party showed up and took everthing that she owned; furniture, clothes, dishes.....luckily for her they did not harm her. The Gendarme investigated and determined that the thieves where from Zaire and that they transported all of her belongings across the river to Zaire.....of course this didn't happen. A few months later her gear started to show up for sale at the local marche. She was a target, it didn't matter how well she blended into the society, she was hit because she didn't maintain S/A and continued to do unsafe practices because she felt that she blended in with the society.

FAST usually deploys in platoon-squad size elements, the local news reports these movements. No matter how long your hair is, if you have facial hair, walking while on the phone, or just picking your nose. It doesn't take much to see that you are a Marine, the way you walk, talk and many other indicators will give you away.

My opinion; long hair will lower your guard into a false sense of security just as the Africare Director being African American gave her a false sense of security.

SlingerDun
07-19-10, 01:30 PM
Ok gunny rolls got it, was pretty sure they were not "love" handles, since Accord is tri-athlete:marine:
I wear gunny rolls if a shirt wont squeak past my Popeye forearms:nerd:

You know... boots that are bloused high and tight can cut circulation to the toes, remember that at Bridgeport when digits are numb. As belts can restrict and degenerate the lower back in physical occupations requiring much bending, no bueno.
Suspendershttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Beltayn
07-19-10, 03:44 PM
I would just like to point out that I have personally know Marines (plural) who were severely hospitalized with multiple stabbing wounds because their high-and-tights and moto gear turned them into targets for a violent gang initiation seeking to take down Marines.
These Marines used the buddy system, didn't do anything wrong, followed all the regs to the letter, and were nearly killed because their inability to blend into their surroundings turned them into flashing neon targets for anti-military gang violence.

Obviously not everywhere is like that. But one of the basic skills of a warfighter is to know your environment. And I have learned that in certain situations, it is a good idea to wait until Monday to get a fresh haircut, rock a low-fade, and wear flip flops when I go out in town. It's called OPSEC.

PGN63
07-19-10, 04:57 PM
But one of the basic skills of a warfighter is to know your environment.

I'm tracking 100%, the key to not getting into bad situations is to maintain your situational awareness and never let your guard down. It also helps if you avoid areas that are frequented by gangs, going into those areas using the buddy sustem only gets two people hurt.

MeierT
07-19-10, 05:20 PM
Here's just something I noticed.

My SDI and other 3 DIs were squared away and ripped. They looked like walking posters. My SDI was Infantry and the other 3 were not.

My Platoon CO in MCT and our 3 other CIs all had various stages of bellies, sloppy sleeves (in comparison to the DIs), trousers bloused around the ankles, and looked nothing like walking posters. Three of them were Infantry and one was an Engineer. They all had combat experience.

Who would you want to go into combat with?

Gunny rolls are funny stuff.

Quinbo
07-19-10, 06:50 PM
Where ya from Meir?

MeierT
07-19-10, 06:53 PM
As in what?

CQB0316
07-20-10, 10:50 AM
I just threw up all over my keyboard. You don't honestly believe all that crap?

I have gunny rolls but i'm a sgt, my pants are always bloused at or below my ankles, the last time I changed my chevrons was when I pinned on, I get a haircut once every two weeks and when I do its a Navy reg just to trim my neckhair, I don't wear a belt because my pants actually fit me, I don't wear a skivvie shirt in the summer months because its more comfortable, I wear Gucci (not D&G) sunglasses in cammies, if i'm in civvies and i've got a hat on its staying on when i'm indoors because if I take it off i'll have hat hair since my hair is so long, I wear flip flops BECAUSE ITS THE FRIGGEN SUMMER AND IN THE SUMMER PEOPLE WEAR FLIP FLOPS. Yeah, i'm the guy that motivators develop a tick over when you see me walk into the 7-day store. Oh, and if its cold my hands will be in my pockets. And after all that, i'm a better Marine than most of the 8th&I silent drill wannabe's running around my Corps and i'll run any motivators dick into the dirt and make him beg for Chesty. I still got my good conduct medal. Being a beltfed motivator went out of style when the mooj flew 747's into the world trade center and pentagon. Don't expect a reply. Out.

+1

hussaf
07-24-10, 03:26 PM
I feel weird without a belt unless I'm wearing shorts

that's just me though...if I'm bumming to the kwik e mart or next door to the bar on saturday morning I may or may not throw on a belt but you won't see me without one if I plan to accomplish anything that day. just a quirk, I guess

I think by gunny rolls he means sleeves rolled so loose and low you could fist **** a 7-ton through them :p

one thing that gets me is being harassed for wearing a white t-shirt. newsflash: just because a shirt is plain white does NOT mean it's intended for wear as an undergarment, which is what the order refers to. my plain white Ts are way too thick to be undershirts. I have plain white undershirts but I also don't wear those out because I'm a bit of a hairy monkey underneath so it looks really gross. but seriously folks, what's the deal with airline food

I hope you don't ever seriously expect some old dog in the Corps to come to the same understanding. I agree that white shirts are perfect for those disgusting Jacksonville days, but I'm certainly never surprised when someone gets butt-hurt about it...although I have a healthy stock of white T's with at least a little lettering/detail on it. I think my only white T's I wear solo are those $20 DryFit (or whatever they are called) from Nike...which are awesome by the way (although they do suck when you are PT'ing in them and want to wipe some sweat off your face as they are a little rough).

..anyway, also don't expect Marine Corps rationalization to accept that some shirts just aren't meant to be tucked in, and that they look less professional tucked in b/c they blouse out all weird or whatever.

I love the rationalization that states a guy in his no-**** go fasters, oversized Jnco jeans, MCMAP belt, tucked in black button up faux-silk collard shirt with dragon and fire silkscreen print on it, eccentric screaming high and tight and freaking full-on Wiley X shooting goggles complete with retention strap looks more professional than a guy with $60 leather sandals, nice khaki or cargo shorts, untucked well-fitting polo shirt, non-ecentric medium or low fade, and normal-ish sunglasses (the aviators are in these days, right? Or M-frames or normal Wiley-Xs or whatever).

FattyTheFerret
07-25-10, 05:18 PM
I used to buy expensive sunglasses until I added up how much i'd blown on losing or crushing them. Now I just get cheapo $20 foster grants from the grocery store so I can have two or three sitting on standby in my luggage if....strike that, when I lose and/or crush one

PaidinBlood
07-25-10, 05:27 PM
a guy in his no-**** go fasters, oversized Jnco jeans, MCMAP belt, tucked in black button up faux-silk collard shirt with dragon and fire silkscreen print on it, eccentric screaming high and tight and freaking full-on Wiley X shooting goggles complete with retention strap

Outstanding illustration. Love it. :thumbup:

StoneTheWeak
07-27-10, 01:25 AM
Ever since MCT I've always gotten just a decent medium low fade. Keeps the Staff-N-Brass out of my ass, and keeps me from looking like a fool. I think a high and tight just plain looks ridiculous and unnecessary. I don't see it as motarded, just unattractive and uncomfortable(I don't like stubble hair on the sides of my head, just preference) I blouse my boots low, roll my sleeves to somewhere between tourniquet and gunny roll, and basically do enough to keep a Gunny from getting 5 feet into my ass and beyond about uniform regs. I keep a normal, sensible Marine Corps appearance. Miraculously, I always get asked what I do. Either people are just entertaining me, but I've been in a group with say 2 of my friends and someone will say "You two are Marines, what about you?"

Never really under stood it. Usually its in some highly military area infested with boots, and I've always rocked the khaki cargos with a button up or polo, graphic T if its balls hot out.

I think the regs are just up to personal discretion. Obviously if your COMMAND gets into your ass, fix it, but if some recockulous higher up sees you and thinks your ****ed up, brush it off. I do what makes the people who do my pro's and con's happy, not someone I don't work for. It's great they wanna take the initiative to give me their input on how they think I should look, but really I don't give a ****, I'll do what I've been doing until MY SNCOIC or OIC has something to say about it.

Rooger
07-28-10, 09:06 PM
:thumbup::thumbup:

echo3oscar1833
07-28-10, 10:02 PM
This thread is funny:D

MeierT
08-11-10, 10:24 PM
Why don't people just shave their heads? Its fairly common, wheres the whole 0 to 3 fade is not.

hussaf
08-11-10, 10:26 PM
I both shaved my head and had a low fade in high school, and neither because of military influence...shaved my head for utilitarian purposes (sports), then got a low fade because my mom made me as she didn't want me having a shaved head for senior pictures, lol.

FattyTheFerret
08-11-10, 10:55 PM
because a shaved head looks ridiculous on most people

I like having hair.

hussaf
08-11-10, 11:21 PM
Yeah, it really does...used to be eccentric too.